• filter:

iPhone: The best way to buy a new iPhone 6 or 7?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Is it better to pay in full or with payment plan? †What are upgrades? †Is there any other money-saving information about buying these and upgrading when iPhone 8 or 9 comes out?

Background: I've been on google voice (no phone) for what seems like eternity. †I'm finally going to purchase an iphone 6 or 7, not an SE, but would like to do it in the most financially sound way possible. †I will be getting a new macbook later on this year, etc. aiming for all apple devices.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Find a used 6, hope that when the 8 comes out they will give an upgrade path. (Most likely to)

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Find a used 6, hope that when the 8 comes out they will give an upgrade path. (Most likely to)
††
Why used? †I was thinking new would be better for a first time user so I could start from scratch and not be confused by other people's settings or malfunctions due to previous use, or have to deal with memory being used by apps/downloads I didn't install.

rated:
Used? Because a new 6 costs too much. You are just planning to turn in to upgrade right? As long as the screen isn't cracked the upgrade path is easy.

rated:
Last decent Verizon upgrade was last December for the 7 at $10 a month for 24 months without needing to trade in anything. I was able to combine it with a Best Buy GC deal so it was great. But there hasn't been anything remotely close to it since.

At the time, they had a free upgrade (again on installment) with the trade in of a 6 if not mistaken. At the time, I decided the 6 was worth more than $240.

Hopefully, they will have deals probably for the 7s, but not the 8.

rated:
If you've been piggy-banking your hard-earned cash, you can buy the iPhone outright!
If you're not keen on having to make monthly payments, being forced into an upgrade schedule, or being tied to a specific carrier, this is a great option.

rated:

rated:
the SE has the same guts as the 6, and uses the same accessories all the way back to ip5 and should maintain the same iOS compatibility as the 6 going forward
but, wait until the latest version comes out, there will be a glut of previous versions out in the wild, new and used and stick within your budget.
so i would guess the price of the 6 would tumble and the 7's hit the open market, but the sweet spot is likely the SE at the moment, it will take a while before the 8 has a significant effect on the aftermarket.

i pay for the device and use on pageplus ($39 monthly plan)

rated:
Gauss44 said:   forbin4040 said:   Find a used 6, hope that when the 8 comes out they will give an upgrade path. (Most likely to)
††
Why used? †I was thinking new would be better for a first time user so I could start from scratch and not be confused by other people's settings or malfunctions due to previous use, or have to deal with memory being used by apps/downloads I didn't install.

You can factory rest so it'll be as fresh as the day.l it was made.

rated:
Gauss44 said:   
forbin4040 said:   Find a used 6, hope that when the 8 comes out they will give an upgrade path. (Most likely to)
††

† The only new iPhone I bought was when they first came out, since back in the day MVNO services were not around and 2-year contracts were the only real option. Now, used and refurb iPhones are a dime a dozen! It takes a couple minutes to factory reset and itís back to just like it was coming out of the box. Yes wear and tear are an issue and I try and always find out the battery cycle count before I buy used. Really easy stuff here!

rated:
Those prepaid carriers are selling iphone 5 dirt cheap.

rated:
TheDealMaker said:   Those prepaid carriers are selling iphone 5 dirt cheap.
† Probably won't be in an upgrade path.

Apple usually only allows 2 model years.

rated:
Buying a new iPhone 6 or 7 right now is not a smart thing to do when a new iPhone 7S or 8 is about to be coming out in a month. If you purchase new iPhone 6 or 7 now, your iPhone resale value will drop very quickly when new iPhone 7S comes out.† †

So find a decent condition (no cracked screen) iPhone 6 for less than $250 (if you can negotiate well on CL, maybe even get it for $200). Most likely† will get $300 credit for your used iPhone 6 when you trade in for iPhone 7S or 8. Use it until trade-in offer becomes available for iPhone 7s. Most carriers will give 0% financing for 24 low monthly payments.† So that's the best way to buy new iPhone.†

rated:
Gauss44 said:   
††

Factory reset on used iPhone will delete all previous setting, data, and apps.† You do not have to worry about memory being used by apps you didn't install. Just make sure when you buy used phone, it works on your carrier's network or has been unlocked.

rated:
You can buy a NEW iPhone 6 for $200 or a 32gb SE for $160, both for total wireless

rated:
I got new iphone 6 32GB few months ago from boost mobile for 199 plus tax plus $29 for unlock from eBay.

rated:

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017