• filter:

Sears Is Closing 28 More KMART Stores As Sales Continue To Decline

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
When thinking about Sear's, I am thinking they sell Craftsman brand, Kenmore brand ...but now Craftsman made in China, Kenmore sticker on LG product

rated:
RED for a link that doesn't like my ad block.

rated:
OK, if Forbes want to PAYWALL themselves, there's ANOTHER OPTION (from Time Mags' Fortune). And ANOTHER ONE (this one from NBC Chicago does have THE FULL LIST of closing stores).

There you go...

rated:
Here are the store closure lists for 2017 that I could quickly find:
http://searsholdings.com/docs/082417_store_closing_list.pdf 
http://searsholdings.com/docs/070717_store_closing_list.pdf 
http://searsholdings.com/docs/010417_store_closing_list.pdf 

There may have been more "quiet" closures:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kmart 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears 

In the Denver metro area, it seems only one Kmart in Arvada will remain. 

rated:
Kenmore has always just been a rebadging of some other company's product.  Sears doesn't make anything.

And the "Craftsman made in China" is because Sears sold the Craftsman product line years ago.

rated:
Sears finally seems to have learned the age old trick. A store is most profitable once you announce it will be closing.

They announced the K-Mart in my town would be closing and the parking lot was packed. (Typically looks abandoned.  For some reason, Welfare recipients seem to be the primary shopper and employee here.) It's been about 20-30 years since the store had this number or percentage of middle class shoppers inside.  

I pulled out out my phone and after a size able discount the price came out to about what Amazon or Walmart was asking for the item. So instead of paying 137.99 for a Total Gym  on Wal-Mart. com , I could pay $200 - 30% off = $140 at K-Mart with no return policy.

rated:
Hopefully they can restructure and get back to black. They have been doing too many crazy things killing their profit.

rated:
cleverett said:   
And the "Craftsman made in China" is because Sears sold the Craftsman product line years ago.

Craftsman was sold to Stanley B&D this year, not years ago, and they are planning to move some production back to the U.S.A.

rated:
There is nothing they can do since they whored out the Craftsman, Die Hard, and Kenmore names.  They have nothing to offer that you can't get elsewhere (Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Zone, O'Reilley's, etc., and of course....Amazon), with orders of magnitude better service.  -Which ain't hard since ANY service is better than the NO service at Sears.  They sold out long ago.  This is just the harvest before the end.  

rated:
WorkerAnt said:   Hopefully they can restructure and get back to black. They have been doing too many crazy things killing their profit.
  I think that ship has sailed a long time ago. 

rated:
I miss my local Kmart, which finally closed down a couple of months ago. The store closing process dragged on for a couple of painful months, run by the typical professional liquidators. You know, lots of signage about $ %s off, with prices jacked up, long lines at registers, parking lots full, and no *actual* good deals anywhere in sight. Way more depressing than the store was before its closing announcement (which is saying something).

Before the store's closing announcement, I could easily park right near the front door, and breeze through the entire store in 15 or 20 minutes scanning for bargains. Some crazy deals were often found, ranging from clearance markdowns to 100% SYWR points back. Or pickup my online Kmart order, or do both.

Now it's down to my local Sears in its own death spiral. No official closing announced yet for it, but I see stock depleted and little inventory tags posted on some bare shelves. Employees have been greatly reduced, and at peak times no longer outnumber store customers (seriously, I expect to see tumbleweed rolling about). But there still are some great deals if you take time to look around. Especially if you do the SYW points thing.

IMO anybody who looks forward to scoring lots of deals on store liquidations is not paying attention.

rated:
Burn, baby, burn!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017