• filter:

Subway foot-long class action

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Appeals Court rules that this case was simply about generating fees for the lawyers.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

rated:
Finally - a court acknowledging class action is a racket including a professional named person representing the class.

rated:
Hopefully this sets a precedent. Thankfully, Subway didn't settle for an agreement to guarantee that employees stretch the dough a little more and give the lawyers 20 million dollars. I think I'll look up what happened to the class action I read about a couple of years ago against Chobani Yogurt because they claim it's "Greek Yogurt", when the founder and owner is actually Turkish.

rated:

decision said: We reverse. A class action that "seeks only worthless benefits for the class" and "yields [only] fees for class counsel" is "no better than a racket" and "should be dismissed out of hand." Id. at 724. That's an apt description of this case.

LOL. This is entirely too much common sense and the judge will not last long in the legal racket. The long knives of the plaintiff lawyers will be out for him.

rated:
They should have talked to me, I used to go to subway all the time since our work cafe sucked it and it was down the block.  I told the manager and wrote the corp office they need a chart to stay consistent with the meat and cheese application. Depending on the employee, they would use for example 4ea pepperoni vs 5 on 12" longs, the same went for sliced meat, most of the time the folded the meat sometimes not putting down enough slices OR the would put half as much sliced meat by laying it flat.... Pretty sure this was to cut costs, thus the reason I wrote subway and they turned my info over to the owner of the store who told me I was wrong and that was complete BS.  I asked if they had a chart since the 6" and 12" bread was the same size and all the meats / cheeses were the same size and told NO, that each person is trained make it the correct way way something along those lines.

Then I asked why is it sometimes I have more meat or cheese and other times I don't.....  That should have been the law suit constancy to stop poor training / forgetful training and a go to chart...  After that they can work on the how old some of the produce is, like if it turns BROWN toss it out or recycle it to a farm...

rated:
Onenote said:   LOL. This is entirely too much common sense and the judge will not last long in the legal racket. The long knives of the plaintiff lawyers will be out for him.
  This particular him happens to be a her:  Diane Sykes, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals judge, formerly justice for 10 yrs on Wisconsin Supreme Court.  Was/is on two POTUS' short lists for SCOTUS vacancy.  Quite a lady.

rated:
@dilbertic --
My impression of most Subway franchisees is that they're money-grubbers that will do anything to make an extra dime, and pretty much don't give a sh*t about customers.

In addition to just walking away from a sub-standard sandwich, one way to get back at them is suggested by the judge's opinion:  go topping crazy. They're supposed to add toppings "in whatever quantity the customer desires." So lay 'em on, in mega quantities. Maybe let owner know that you're trying to make up for the short meat & cheese. Probably 80% chance owner doesn't care, unless cost of extra toppings exceed cost of slice of meat/cheese.

rated:
I gave up on Subway sandwiches when they raised the prices 20% from $5.00 to $6.00 for the most common foot long sandwiches.

rated:
JW10 said:   I gave up on Subway sandwiches when they raised the prices 20% from $5.00 to $6.00 for the most common foot long sandwiches.
  It's $6 where? At my place they are over $7. And only "Sub of the Day" is priced as $6   

rated:
Omaha, Nebraska YMMV as we have more than one Subway operator in the area. That price is the most common on text messages. 789929

rated:
cows123 said:   Hopefully this sets a precedent. Thankfully, Subway didn't settle for an agreement to guarantee that employees stretch the dough a little more and give the lawyers 20 million dollars. I think I'll look up what happened to the class action I read about a couple of years ago against Chobani Yogurt because they claim it's "Greek Yogurt", when the founder and owner is actually Turkish.
  1) Subway DID agree to guarantee the dough was stretched a little (They added metal rulers), that was in the settlement. (Already done before the settlement)
2) The class action was objected by one of the members (Theodore Frank), and the judge ruled that the settlement had nothing to do with the initial class action. (since bread is made by weight) and that the result didn't change anything about the food (They stretch the bread).

rated:
Hehe....I once ate at a Subway and the bread hadn't been baked long enough.  The owner tried to give me a line that it was how fresh bread was supposed to be, but in the end he did refund my money and let me keep the samdwich.  So I scooped out the raw bread dough and ate the rest of it.  I am glad they quit "slicing" the bread by cutting a triangle out of the middle of it...I never understood the logic behind that.

rated:
Larryslug said:   Hehe....I once ate at a Subway and the bread hadn't been baked long enough.  The owner tried to give me a line that it was how fresh bread was supposed to be, but in the end he did refund my money and let me keep the samdwich.  So I scooped out the raw bread dough and ate the rest of it.  I am glad they quit "slicing" the bread by cutting a triangle out of the middle of it...I never understood the logic behind that.

It helps for runny subs, like the meatball sub - less sauce drips on you when you eat it.

rated:

rated:
I used to work for Subway for 3 years. This was a very interesting read for me!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017