• filter:

It's time to "Drop FreedomPop and say Hello to Tello"

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
FreedomPop has asked for it by making these two huge anti-customer changes:

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/08/freedompop-modifies-free...

and

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2017/07/freedompop-now-throttlin...

I am going to "Drop FreedomPop and Say Hello to Tello", This will be great, because for the same expense that FreedomPop will now cause me for my accounts, Tello will give me much more (I am opting for the 1 GB 4G with 2G unlimited data option only, and no voice minutes or texts. This will cost $11/month; I will use Google HangOuts for unlimited talk and texts instead of using Tello's paid services for those two). Bingo! 

Too bad, too sad, FreedomPop, you almost had it all!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The Virgin Mobile sounds like a deal for those with iPhones, even if it is for just a year! I have to FP lines just for ... (more)

rsuaver (Sep. 08, 2017 @ 9:42a) |

"Twigby customers have access to two of the largest nationwide networks covering over 270 million people. Twigby primari... (more)

dazviking (Sep. 08, 2017 @ 9:00p) |

Good to know. Same model as Total Wireless?

love4money (Sep. 09, 2017 @ 8:28p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't need data so I use Tello to pay by minute. They are the only company* I know of that still offers a true "Pay per Minute" without having a monthly plan or monthly minimum. (I also have lycamobile {T-Mobile Service}, but I believe my Pay Per Minute there is a 'grandfathered' plan now.) My phone bill is less than $1 per month.

*Note: I am excluding FreedomPop since their free plans are voip and I couldn't get them to work on my newest phone despite all the tutorials online. Even when I had Freedom pop "Working" Google Hangouts wouldn't work on my phone 90% of the time.

rated:
videogamesaremylife said:   I don't need data so I use Tello to pay by minute. They are the only company* I know of that still offers a true "Pay per Minute" without having a monthly plan or monthly minimum. (I also have lycamobile {T-Mobile Service}, but I believe my Pay Per Minute there is a 'grandfathered' plan now.) My phone bill is less than $1 per month.

*Note: I am excluding FreedomPop since their free plans are voip and I couldn't get them to work on my newest phone despite all the tutorials online. Even when I had Freedom pop "Working" Google Hangouts wouldn't work on my phone 90% of the time.

Good for you! Another reason to ditch FreedomPop

Oh, by the way, Tello has great customer service by phone (very unlike FreedomPop, where the experience is like having a root canal done). I just called Tello's toll free number and was able to talk to a live person with no trouble and she was very professional and knowledgeable. I am sold.

rated:
I didn't even try FP after reading a lot of complaints from those signed up. It is not a surprise that FP gives people a jump-through-hoop free service with the hope to charge them for a mistake they make during the sign up process.

I agree with love4money on Tello's great customer service. I'm on the Tell's "100 minutes, no text, 200MB data" plan and using Hangout to make/receive calls. However their 2G unlimited data is extremely slow. In my case it takes about 30 seconds or so to make a call, sometimes I can't even make or receive a call. The 2GB unlimited speed won't help me in the event of an emergency. Fortunately I have the 100 minutes for that. If you plan to use the 2GB unlimited data for Hangout calls, make sure you have mobile minutes in case of  an emergency.

rated:
I switched to Tello pay as you go for minutes from the 100 minutes/$3 plan because I never got close to 100 minutes.  I put $10 in the pay as you go for phone calls, and still have almost $8 balance after 4 months.

rated:
If you're going to pay $11/month for only 1GB LTE. Why not get Mintsim for $14/month with 2GB LTE?

rated:
I use FreedomPop and am moderately happy with it, but dang if they aren't the most non-transparent provider out there. A potential customer can't even shop their plans without providing an email address, and even then, the best plans aren't shown.

On my existing account, I couldn't see how to upgrade to more expensive (more data) plans without opening a support ticket.

And now I see they are offering essentially 7 months 2GB plan plus SIM shipped for a total of $77.94 (e.g. $11.34/month) (see https://www.freedompop.com/offer/sim-nationwide-lte-m3-EM?&ui=2e... but if you have an existing number/SIM, no soup for you, even if you are willing to prepay 6 months.

rated:
I love Tello, but I don't use my phone for calls that much. I use Google Hangouts too, for most of my calls. FYI, Hangouts is fantastic for what it costs(!), but it's far from perfect. Sometimes the call quality is great; sometimes it's so bad I have to call the other person back with my Tello Pay-Go pay-per minute credit using "regular" phone service.

I bought a 1GB Tello data plan one month and didn't use half of it; came to figure out that they roll over unused data to the next month (i.e. if I want to downgrade to 500MB the next month) but ONLY if you cancel your plan before the end of the billing period (which lets you keep your data the rest of the billing period) and then sign up for a new plan before that old period ends. I love how flexible Tello is!

rated:
You guys are doing it the hard way to cut your phone bill. Just pay $1 for next 12 months from Virgin Mobile. Unlimited, talk, text, and LTE Data. Cost extra for hotspot.

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1582876

rated:
docjoo said:   You guys are doing it the hard way to cut your phone bill. Just pay $1 for next 12 months from Virgin Mobile. Unlimited, talk, text, and LTE Data. Cost extra for hotspot.

But Virgin Mobile operates on Sprint network, which is problematic because the coverage is not good, and secondly, because it requires a CDMA phone.

rated:
anyone who has FreedomPop is just asking to get screwed,,billing wise and customer NO--service..they are the worst ever..Good luck

rated:
looks like mintsim is 15 a month,,you must have had a coupon..of course if your unlucky to be in California it will be a lot more

rated:
joel2007 said:   If you're going to pay $11/month for only 1GB LTE. Why not get Mintsim for $14/month with 2GB LTE?
  Eventually we may end up doing that but right now my kids and wife do not want to have to buy new GSM phones (MintSIM will not work with the Sprint locked CDMA phones that they have been using with FreedomPop but they will be easy to switch to Tello).

rated:
docjoo said:   You guys are doing it the hard way to cut your phone bill. Just pay $1 for next 12 months from Virgin Mobile. Unlimited, talk, text, and LTE Data. Cost extra for hotspot.

Yes, but aren't you then required to continue with Virgin Mobile and start paying $40/month for at least a year?

rated:
love4money said:   

Yes, but aren't you then required to continue with Virgin Mobile and start paying $40/month for at least a year?

No contract. Can quit anytime.

rated:
publicpersona said:   

But Virgin Mobile operates on Sprint network, which is problematic because the coverage is not good, and secondly, because it requires a CDMA phone.

In most cities, Sprint works fine. It 's the rural area where Sprint coverage is subpar. Unlocked iPhone  from any carriers except Sprint and it's affiliates can take advantage of this promotion.

rated:

iphone only? 

Didn't Sprint have something similar directly?

rated:
needhelpplease said:   

iphone only? 

Didn't Sprint have something similar directly?

If it is iPhone only, I couldn't take advantage of this. Can anyone confirm?

rated:
Just get a old Verizon phone and a $80 PagePlus card and your good for the year.  No contract & your on a good network.  I turn data off & use WIFI and have many minutes at the end of the year to roll over.

rated:
docjoo said:   
publicpersona said:   

But Virgin Mobile operates on Sprint network, which is problematic because the coverage is not good, and secondly, because it requires a CDMA phone.

In most cities, Sprint works fine. It 's the rural area where Sprint coverage is subpar. Unlocked iPhone  from any carriers except Sprint and it's affiliates can take advantage of this promotion.

Agreed .. Sprint is fine in metro areas and along major highways, but otherwise spotty. And I wish that any unlocked iPhone would work, but that's not the case. The iPhone 7 models A1778 and A1784 do not support CDMA networks at all.

rated:
Stop the press...Twigby has better deal...2 GB data only plan (with unlimited 2G data after 2 GB) for $15, with no activation fee, no contract:

https://www.twigby.com/page/byod

rated:
love4money said:   Stop the press...Twigby has better deal...2 GB data only plan (with unlimited 2G data after 2 GB) for $15, with no activation fee, no contract:

Are you including the $9 for the lowest level of voice minutes? Looks like it is $24 for that plus 2GB data. Also, CDMA only.

rated:
love4money said:   FreedomPop has asked for it by making these two huge anti-customer changes:

I mean, it is YUGE!!!  And the post is a poem too!!! But seriously, you are behind the curve.  FP has been encouraging users to move to ATT network, which probably means that the gravy train of dirt cheap Sprint network access is over.  We knew that from not so distant demise of RP.  Unlike Karl, FP has a usable transition plan.  I bought a couple $10 ATT Go Phones when they were still unlockable and like the ATT network a lot better than Sprint.

These disclaimers were listed in every RP and FP thread, but it is obviously worth repeating: this is free service, don't complain and call it "anti-customer" when it is reduced or goes away, don't use it if you need a reliable phone for emergencies, the company can't hire a call center full of friendly service reps to walk you through changing your phone settings.  For what it is worth, I have had FP for many years.  At the beginning, the billing practices were a bit shady, but things have improved significantly.   I did have an unauthorized upgrade about a year ago and a $24 charge, but it was resolved with a simple email within 24 hours.  Also, it has been said a bazillion times, use virtual accounts with limited funds for all FP billings if you don't want to deal with chargebacks.

Yes, these are inconveniences, but they are worthwhile for me to have three data only phones - two for teenage kids texting/gaming and one for my car as a navigation/music/podcast device.  I paid a total of about $20 over the last two years, primarily due to my dippy kids running over the data cap.  I do not use FP for my primary cell service and would not recommend it to anyone if you need a reliable phone.  Overall, still looks like a pretty good deal to me.

rated:
publicpersona said:   
love4money said:   Stop the press...Twigby has better deal...2 GB data only plan (with unlimited 2G data after 2 GB) for $15, with no activation fee, no contract:

Are you including the $9 for the lowest level of voice minutes? Looks like it is $24 for that plus 2GB data. Also, CDMA only.

I did NOT have to add the voice minutes option and it would let me go to the next step to check my MEID (for BYOD).

Also, "CDMA" only means iPhone 6 (Sprint locked) cannot be used?

rated:
big dwawback needing an Iphhone

rated:
aleck said:   
love4money said:   FreedomPop has asked for it by making these two huge anti-customer changes:

I mean, it is YUGE!!!  And the post is a poem too!!! But seriously, you are behind the curve.  FP has been encouraging users to move to ATT network, which probably means that the gravy train of dirt cheap Sprint network access is over.  We knew that from not so distant demise of RP.  Unlike Karl, FP has a usable transition plan.  I bought a couple $10 ATT Go Phones when they were still unlockable and like the ATT network a lot better than Sprint

These disclaimers were listed in every RP and FP thread, but it is obviously worth repeating: this is free service, don't complain and call it "anti-customer" when it is reduced or goes away, don't use it if you need a reliable phone for emergencies, the company can't hire a call center full of friendly service reps to walk you through changing your phone settings.  For what it is worth, I have had FP for many years.  At the beginning, the billing practices were a bit shady, but things have improved significantly.   I did have an unauthorized upgrade about a year ago and a $24 charge, but it was resolved with a simple email within 24 hours.  Also, it has been said a bazillion times, use virtual accounts with limited funds for all FP billings if you don't want to deal with chargebacks.

Yes, these are inconveniences, but they are worthwhile for me to have three data only phones - two for teenage kids texting/gaming and one for my car as a navigation/music/podcast device.  I paid a total of about $20 over the last two years, primarily due to my dippy kids running over the data cap.  I do not use FP for my primary cell service and would not recommend it to anyone if you need a reliable phone.  Overall, still looks like a pretty good deal to me.

Just to add, I have 3 FreedomPop devices, 2 phones, one old, and a tablet.  I have never had any unauthorized charges in 4 1/2 years,  and the only shady billing practices I personally encountered was, for one device, not being able to downgrade one of the services (voice/text/data) to the free plan limit, which I was able to easily do for the other 2 services as soon as I received the devices to avert any charges.  A CSR did it for me without any problems or sales pressure at all.  I admit that I understand how some people might miss doing it during the first month when you seem to automatically get the upgraded plan that would incur charges if not changed.  Then they introduced the requirement that to disable automatic top up, which would incur charges, you had to put $5 in your account, a requirement that did not exist for my first 2 devices. Other than that, I was never charged for anything and never had to contact billing for anything.

rated:
who is Twigbys coverage towers working off of please? Is it Att? I live in a rural area and can not get reliable coverage with tmobile or Sprint. Need either att/verizon to 
get good enough service. Any help would be great. thanks

rated:
valuemama said:   who is Twigbys coverage towers working off of please? Is it Att? I live in a rural area and can not get reliable coverage with tmobile or Sprint. Need either att/verizon to 

It is Sprint, as I understand.

rated:
Thank you love4money!

rated:
When Ring+ was running out, I switched our two phones to Tello, so about 8-9 months ago.
We are very happy with the price and service. It just plain works for us.

rated:
The Virgin Mobile sounds like a deal for those with iPhones, even if it is for just a year! I have to FP lines just for free offers and crap on a couple of old iPhones, so wonder if I could port at least one of them.

rated:
valuemama said:   who is Twigbys coverage towers working off of please? Is it Att? I live in a rural area and can not get reliable coverage with tmobile or Sprint. Need either att/verizon to 

"Twigby customers have access to two of the largest nationwide networks covering over 270 million people. Twigby primarily operates on the Sprint network for talk, text and data, but also uses the Verizon network for talk and text roaming."

https://twigby.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009512128-What-t...

rated:
dazviking said:   

"Twigby customers have access to two of the largest nationwide networks covering over 270 million people. Twigby primarily operates on the Sprint network for talk, text and data, but also uses the Verizon network for talk and text roaming."

https://twigby.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009512128-What-towers-does-Twigby-use-

Good to know. Same model as Total Wireless?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017