• filter:

BOGO Iphone 7 at ATT without adding a new line?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hey all, my parents are in the market for new phones.  My mom already has an iphone 5s (that she cant figure out) and my dad has a prehistoric regualar old cell phone.  They both want to get new iphones for the bigger screen.  My dads old junker is currently broken, so timeliness is a concern vs waiting for iphone 8 induced price drops next week.

Anyway, they have ATT and have Direct TV.   I was hoping they could do the BOGO iphone 7 deal at ATT to buy one and get one free, but ATT says they must add a new line of service to do that.   Can yall think of any way around that?  Thoughts:

1.He would be adding a new data plan, not sure if that counts. 
2.  Could they add a new line, then cancel his old line, but keep his old number on the new phone?  Maybe a month later?

Any thoughts are appreciated.  It has to be simple.  I dont want to port, cancel, port to new line etc. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You can port the old number to the Sideline app. Then sign up for a new number. The phone will ring either with sideline or the new number. You have to keep the new line active for a period of time but then you can either port back or port the old number to the iPhone 9

rated:
interesting. I might look into that. It has to happen autonomously to them because they are super tech unsavvy.

rated:
purchase the ip6s outright, and don't do a contract

rated:
I usually eschew the contract stuff. In this case though they want/need a 7 because it is waterproof and they are clumsy/careless with their phones. And I have nowhere near the time needed to help them work through android issues, even though they have better waterproofier phones. So Iphone 7 or 7 plus is where it is. Since they have no intention to ever leave ATT, and since they have all the other criteria met (direct TV), and want an iphone 7, it seemed like the best deal to just get one free since they need two. I just dont want to change their number because they will cause their heads to explode.

I left apple for Samsung when they killed the headphone jack. So far I am happy with the switch.

rated:
deren said:   You can port the old number to the Sideline app. Then sign up for a new number. The phone will ring either with sideline or the new number. You have to keep the new line active for a period of time but then you can either port back or port the old number to the iPhone 9
  And making OP wait another year for that product.

rated:
Off topic....

In the past, one would buy a T-Mobile PrePaid Sim card for $5 @ Bestbuy to get a number and then use that number to port into Cricket to get a cricket discount.... But Best Buy no longer sells the T-Mobile sim card. T-Mobile used to have the .99 sales not haven't in a long while. Any other place to buy a T-Mobile PrePaid Sim kit for $5 or less, which can be used in the previously described way?

Thanks!

rated:
dlong said:   Off topic....

In the past, one would buy a T-Mobile PrePaid Sim card for $5 @ Bestbuy to get a number and then use that number to port into Cricket to get a cricket discount.... But Best Buy no longer sells the T-Mobile sim card. T-Mobile used to have the .99 sales not haven't in a long while. Any other place to buy a T-Mobile PrePaid Sim kit for $5 or less, which can be used in the previously described way?

Thanks!

At least once a month TMO will sell the prepaid sims for 99c or even free (with free shipping). Usually you are limited to three. Stock up then...

rated:
Really? I haven't seen them in a while. I must not have been paying attention. Also there was some issue where the TMO (direct from TMO) come pre-activated? So apparently it is not a good idea to stock up on them (I don't know why).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017