• filter:

all federal departments and agencies to discontinue use of software made by Kaspersky Labs,

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
took em long enough

rated:
They must have not received all their rebates.

rated:
Ever wonder how the Russian's seem to know what's going on in our Government? Haha

rated:
now?

rated:
The horse has already bolted.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Ever wonder how the Russian's seem to know what's going on in our Government? Haha
††Never used them nor ever install anything till i do a full removal of Kaspersky Labs on any computer family, friends, or myself. Every time I help someone fix or check to see why its running so slow its always Kaspersky that is running and draining cpu and rams. The government should know better and so should their IT staff have they ever wonder why the system is slow. Totally agree with you on this.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Ever wonder how the Russian's seem to know what's going on in our Government? Haha
it's easier to setup meetings and meet with people to get information or †by phishing than installing fancy software, that is so well disguised, it doesn't get detected. this is just a volley in a trade war disguised as national security. then they (russians, the chinese, etc) will ban stuff made by US companies, and so on.

rated:
Does anyone think there is a real issue here? Or, is it just politics?

rated:
There is a real issue.

rated:
gremln007 said:   Does anyone think there is a real issue here? Or, is it just politics?
† Real Issue, the government is mandated to only work with US vendors who have no outside government connections.
USA cannot buy Lenovo laptops for that reason, it's Chinese and all chinese companies have some connection to the government.
Once the Russian government connection was exposed, they had no choice.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   

† the russian connection was never a secret. it's become an issue now with the frosty relationship with the russians (at some levels)

rated:
miserly said:   
forbin4040 said:   

† the russian connection was never a secret. it's become an issue now with the frosty relationship with the russians (at some levels)

† It was an 'open' secret until May 2017.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-11/kaspersky-lab...

Governments do move slow...but before July it was a secret, once the Senators were advised, it they were removed.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
miserly said:   
forbin4040 said:   

† It was an 'open' secret until May 2017.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-11/kaspersky-lab-has-been-working-with-russian-intelligence

Governments do move slow...but before July it was a secret, once the Senators were advised, it they were removed.

Looks like it's all politics.
"The U.S. government hasnít identified any evidence connecting Kaspersky Lab to Russiaís spy agencies, even as it continues to turn up the heat."†

rated:
McAfee is also rubbish. It only slows down and bricks computers.

rated:
I would not worry about any of the major security providers putting anything actively malicious in their code. Eventually they would be caught and probably out of business.

Rather, if there's a threat it's the reverse--that a security suite will ignore some government-sanctioned malware. (Simply omit it from the database.) For the US government, being afraid of Kaspersky makes sense. For the average American, I would think it much more likely that I would be attacked by US government malware than by Russian government malware. Thus I see Kaspersky as a lesser risk than the US providers.

rated:
LorenPechtel said:   I would not worry about any of the major security providers putting anything actively malicious in their code. Eventually they would be caught and probably out of business.

Rather, if there's a threat it's the reverse--that a security suite will ignore some government-sanctioned malware. (Simply omit it from the database.) For the US government, being afraid of Kaspersky makes sense. For the average American, I would think it much more likely that I would be attacked by US government malware than by Russian government malware. Thus I see Kaspersky as a lesser risk than the US providers.

† Tell that to Clinton's Campaign manager...It might be less likely, but it happened to him. †I wonder if he was running Kaspersky?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
LorenPechtel said:   I would not worry about any of the major security providers putting anything actively malicious in their code. Eventually they would be caught and probably out of business.

† Tell that to Clinton's Campaign manager...It might be less likely, but it happened to him. †I wonder if he was running Kaspersky?

††
1)† He's a Target.† I'm an average joe with nothing of interest to the Russians.

2)† That wasn't malware in the first place.† No AV would have caught it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017