PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER Help please do i need vent??

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hi guys i trying to figure out do i need a vent to the window for a portable AC because i live in a condo top florr with 2 little kids. I do not want to open the window for any vent for the safety of my kids.

SO my question is which PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER i need to buy without a hose or vent required??

If so please can you kindly point me to the right direction make or model i will need to buy trying to keep the bedroom cool for the kids..

Thankoyu so much in advance

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Great thread. The ducts in my house were built too small going to the non-master bedrooms. When you close the vents in... (more)

tracker2208 (Jul. 28, 2007 @ 12:35p) |

Do the screens open? My mom's can be put up, partway or all the way. Mine are either on or off the window. So it depe... (more)

shopliftinginva (Jul. 28, 2007 @ 12:45p) |

I edited my original post so it looks right. When you hit the quote button on this thread you can see what I was going ... (more)

tracker2208 (Jul. 28, 2007 @ 12:57p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They HAVE to be vented.

See my thread in OT here. I got a lot of good information.

You can secure the window and vent plate with some brackets and screws so unless the kids break out the tools, the window won't open and the vent plate will stay in place.

yeah, physically you need to vent the hot air somewhere... kinda like an exhaust in your car... So what I recommend is a dehumidifer with a cooling system. It works kind of like the car AC. It works by transfering the hot air in and absorbing the water (humidity) and passing the air through cold coils and releasing it back into the room. Of course, you would have to empty a bucket of water everyday sorta like your car or window AC, which automatically drips to the outside. I have no experience with such things but I did do research because I have allergies and dehumidifiers control mold growth. They go for about $100 on eBay.

edit: actually, I would like to know if anybody has any experience with these things? OP, if you are interested, I suggest you go to Sears or something and try it out and make sure it works.

kronus said: You can secure the window and vent plate with some brackets and screws so unless the kids break out the tools, the window won't open and the vent plate will stay in place.

This is another option for OP, but if OP goes down this path, then I would suggest getting a window AC for $50 AR at costco because by locking in the windows, the portable AC no longer becomes portable.

Thankyou so much just a follow up question on the dehumdifier you mention it works like AC in a car dies it cool the room if so i guess that is my option.

Again i do thank everyone who responded but i just do not feel comfortable with window open permenant to let the vent out.

Yes agree they say it is safe with brackets but kids getting very smart everyday i am surprise what they do as they grow up..

I remember my self growing up and never thought i would do this or do that.. soorry of the topic

So i try to research on the dehumidiifier as long as i can cool the room i be very happy....

still open to suggestion ???

A dehumidifier is not going to cool a room - in fact it will warm it. I know you are trying to get out of opening a window for an air condition, but you don't have an option. (well, unless you have washer/dryer hookups and no dryer installed - hint hint).

Just as posted above, you have to vent the hot air somewhere. Air conditioners don't "make cold" - they transfer heat from the inside to the outside. We're dealing with the laws of physics here.

Is there a reason why you can't have a windows air conditioner in this window? I realize some apartment/condo communities won't let you do so, is that the case? If so, keep in mind that some portable air conditioners only need about 3" of a window opening due to an adapter on the end of the hose. Plus the vent assembly plate does secure with hardware. If you have double-hung windows, just place a strip of wood vertically over the window that will keep the window from opening any more than needed. That way, even if the vent plate is pulled out - the window won't open any more than 3-4". If you can't picture what I am talking about, imagine the wood strip people place in the track of a sliding patio door - then apply it to a window.

A dehumidifier won't necessarily "cool" the room, but by taking the humidity out, it will make it feel more comfortable. I've actually been running my portable AC unit on the dehumidifier mode.

As a mom myself, I can understand your hesitation in putting anything in that would present a danger for your children.

thekid72 said: A dehumidifier is not going to cool a room - in fact it will warm it. I know you are trying to get out of opening a window for an air condition, but you don't have an option. (well, unless you have washer/dryer hookups and no dryer installed - hint hint).

Just as posted above, you have to vent the hot air somewhere. Air conditioners don't "make cold" - they transfer heat from the inside to the outside. We're dealing with the laws of physics here.

Is there a reason why you can't have a windows air conditioner in this window? I realize some apartment/condo communities won't let you do so, is that the case? If so, keep in mind that some portable air conditioners only need about 3" of a window opening due to an adapter on the end of the hose. Plus the vent assembly plate does secure with hardware. If you have double-hung windows, just place a strip of wood vertically over the window that will keep the window from opening any more than needed. That way, even if the vent plate is pulled out - the window won't open any more than 3-4". If you can't picture what I am talking about, imagine the wood strip people place in the track of a sliding patio door - then apply it to a window.

yes they do not allow us to use open the window and mount AC but if you think 3" is all i need then i think i can work with that.. as long as i secure it 100%

Well i think i have my answer laws of physics .... so all in all portabale AC is not actually 100% portable

saj07 said:
\\]Well i think i have my answer laws of physics .... so all in all portabale AC is not actually 100% portable
It's more portable than a window unit, but still requires you to mount in window. So not as portable as they'd like you to think.

I've spent the last 9 days moving mine from one end of the house to the other. Our heat pump went out and I was trying to control the humidity/heat in the house.

If you live on the top floor, you may be able to make a little hole in the ceiling (leading into the attic) and hook your ACs exhaust vent hose up to it.

I have a portable AC in the garage and I have the hose go into the ceiling.

Also, if you have a fireplace, you can put the portable AC unit in front of it, and shove the hose into your fireplace's exhaust. (that's what I do when I need to run it in the livingroom. I.e. when the power is out and I hook it up to my generator)

saj07 said: Hi guys i trying to figure out do i need a vent to the window for a portable AC because i live in a condo top florr with 2 little kids. I do not want to open the window for any vent for the safety of my kids.

SO my question is which PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER i need to buy without a hose or vent required??

If so please can you kindly point me to the right direction make or model i will need to buy trying to keep the bedroom cool for the kids..

After you put in an air conditioner or vent for the "portable" put a screw in the inside window above the open window. Now nobody can open the window the rest of the way and take out your air conditioner.

shopliftinginva said: saj07 said:
\\]Well i think i have my answer laws of physics .... so all in all portabale AC is not actually 100% portable
It's more portable than a window unit, but still requires you to mount in window. So not as portable as they'd like you to think.

I've spent the last 9 days moving mine from one end of the house to the other. Our heat pump went out and I was trying to control the humidity/heat in the house.

you are the right person for them to ask! you should know answer since you've had several discussions concerning this.

kronus said: You can secure the window and vent plate with some brackets and screws so unless the kids break out the tools, the window won't open and the vent plate will stay in place.
you could also vent it out of the top half of a double-hung window, and secure the bottom half.

RegUSPatOff said: you could also vent it out of the top half of a double-hung window, and secure the bottom half.

That might be a problem in a child's bedroom. The vent, at least on my whirlpool, is HUGE. It would prevent you from pulling the shades down.

saj07 said: Hi guys i trying to figure out do i need a vent to the window for a portable AC because i live in a condo top florr with 2 little kids. I do not want to open the window for any vent for the safety of my kids.

I don't know the layout of your place --- but if it is drywall and you got a handyman and
a bathroom with a window next to the bedroom it might be possible to install some kind of vent connection so you are venting into the bathroom --- or maybe do some variation of that
--- don't be afraid to think outside the box

wow so many responses i really appreciate everyone's response. I do have my windows open out not up and down so that my reason no to vent the windows..

I was thinking to cut a pices of glass from top upper window up the window doors get a professional to cut a piece of glass and vent a small area.. i just replace the window glass when i decide to move out. and in winter seal it with air tight protection...

well thankyou again.

saj07 said: I was thinking to cut a pices of glass from top upper window up the window doors get a professional to cut a piece of glass and vent a small area.. i just replace the window glass when i decide to move out. and in winter seal it with air tight protection...I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that window glass is tempered, so if you attempt to cut, the pane will shatter into small pieces.

Plus, I assume that you have double pane glass, so even if you could cut it, you would break the seal and loose the argon (or whatever) gas, if you have it, and also cause condensation to form between the panes.

While I own my home and could easily get a window AC, I picked up this Danby unit about 7 years ago. As you can see from the diagram, the venting plate only requires the window to be open about 4 inches (horizontally or vertically). There is only one exhaust hose by the way, the two side diagrams demonstrate the adjustability of the venting hose on the plate. To keep the window from opening up any further, you can use a window lock.

get one of those commercial units they use when the mall a/c breaks. they have a dryer hose like 50 feet long you can find a way out like vent to roof hole or something.

great topic as I have A/C related questions.

So is that mean the Danby one can be use with or w/o the hose? I see there's buckets that can be emptied out.

HTN said: While I own my home and could easily get a window AC, I picked up this Danby unit about 7 years ago. As you can see from the diagram, the venting plate only requires the window to be open about 4 inches (horizontally or vertically). There is only one exhaust hose by the way, the two side diagrams demonstrate the adjustability of the venting hose on the plate. To keep the window from opening up any further, you can use a window lock.

optical said: great topic as I have A/C related questions.

So is that mean the Danby one can be use with or w/o the hose? I see there's buckets that can be emptied out.

thekid72 said:

Got it. By the way do you have to remove the bug screen to install a window A/C?

RegUSPatOff said: optical said: great topic as I have A/C related questions.

thekid72 said:

optical said: Got it. By the way do you have to remove the bug screen to install a window A/C?

It depends. My mom's house is old and she has screens that can be pushed up. My house is newer and my screens need to be removed, even with the portable unit, because of the rain guard.

Mine comes off but was just wondering since this is on the second floor and it will end up falling when it's pushed out.

Also, I presume most a/c units will come with a cover for the complete section of the opening, right?

Our up stair rooms (shares a common wall) are hot as hell and it would be nice if I can somehow install one unit and and cover both rooms.

Any suggestions?

shopliftinginva said: optical said: Got it. By the way do you have to remove the bug screen to install a window A/C?

It depends. My mom's house is old and she has screens that can be pushed up. My house is newer and my screens need to be removed, even with the portable unit, because of the rain guard.

optical said: Mine comes off but was just wondering since this is on the second floor and it will end up falling when it's pushed out.

Also, I presume most a/c units will come with a cover for the complete section of the opening, right?

Our up stair rooms (shares a common wall) are hot as hell and it would be nice if I can somehow install one unit and and cover both rooms.

Any suggestions?

A window unit will have "pull out extenders". The portable unit has a 3 or 4 inch extender piece (kind of like how a wide curtain rod is, but plastic and with an opening for the vent).

My portable unit is vented out a slider that's 4 feet high. Plenty of extender left too.

they make window units for horizontal windows?

optical said: they make window units for horizontal windows? If you mean sliders, then yes. I went with the portable because I like the option of being able to easily (well, more easily than a window unit) move it from room to room if necessary. They are more expensive than a standard AC for a regular window though. The units I looked at were about $400.

In Asia the AC units are not really "vented." They do require a small hole for connection to an exterior unit. The indoor unit looks rather like a 42" plasma tv, but about 1/3 as tall. It would mount on the wall near the ceiling. These units work in some of the warmest places I have been to on the equator. I am sure you can find one. Look for a LG or a Siemens etc...

Aerofreaky said: In Asia the AC units are not really "vented." They do require a small hole for connection to an exterior unit. The indoor unit looks rather like a 42" plasma tv, but about 1/3 as tall. It would mount on the wall near the ceiling. These units work in some of the warmest places I have been to on the equator. I am sure you can find one. Look for a LG or a Siemens etc... there's a discussion about them in the OT post I linked on the first page. From what I could tell , you're talking about $700 or more for something like that.

Yes, slider is what I meant. I didn't know they make these. I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

The portable probably makes more sense for me as well since it's also easiest to setup.

shopliftinginva said: Casement AC

you can secure the windows by using alarm system and webcam

Great thread. The ducts in my house were built too small going to the non-master bedrooms. When you close the vents in the master bedroom the air makes a hissing noise trying to force its way out, but my room still gets a trickle. I really wanted to increase the size of the diameter of the ducts going this way, but from researching it doesn't seem possible unless you replace all of the ducts (if someone knows different please let me know!!!).

I'm thinking about getting a portable AC instead. I don't want to remove the solar screen because that deflects a lot of heat by them selves. Its kind of hard for me to find the words to describe so I'll just do an ascii drawing. I built the screens my self (from Home Depot kits, about $30 a window) so I still have the parts to do it. Basically I would change the shape like this:

Before``````````````````````````````````````````````After
___________________```````````````````___________________
|```````````````````````````````|```````````````````|`````````````````````````````````|
|```````````````````````````````|```````````````````|`````````````````````````````````|
|```````````````````````````````|```````````````````|`````````````````````````_____|
|```````````````````````````````|```````````````````|````````````````````````|
|```````````````````````````````|```````````````````|````````````````````````|
|_________________|````````````````````|______________|

I can also cut the ends of a couple of the wood blinds to make room for the vent and obtain darkness when I wanted (I have extra blinds leftover from installing them). What do you guys think? Also, how noisy are these? I sleep with a fan on so I'm use to white noise, but if they are obnoxiously loud I'll have to pass.

Edit: Maybe it would have been easier to find the words. Ascii drawing look nothing like the do before you hit the "Post Reply" button. I had to use the "`" character instead of empty spaces.

tracker2208 said: Great thread. The ducts in my house were built too small going to the non-master bedrooms. When you close the vents in the master bedroom the air makes a hissing noise trying to force its way out, but my room still gets a trickle. I really wanted to increase the size of the diameter of the ducts going this way, but from researching it doesn't seem possible unless you replace all of the ducts (if someone knows different please let me know!!!).

I'm thinking about getting a portable AC instead. I don't want to remove the solar screen because that deflects a lot of heat by them selves. Its kind of hard for me to find the words to describe so I'll just do an ascii drawing. I built the screens my self (from Home Depot kits, about $30 a window) so I still have the parts to do it. Basically I would change the shape like this:

Before After
------------------- ------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |-----
| | | |
------------------- -------------|

I can also cut the ends of a couple of the wood blinds to make room for the vent and obtain darkness when I wanted (I have extra blinds leftover from installing them). What do you guys think? Also, how noisy are these? I sleep with a fan on so I'm use to white noise, but if they are obnoxiously loud I'll have to pass.

Do the screens open? My mom's can be put up, partway or all the way. Mine are either on or off the window. So it depends on the window. The vent for the portable AC can be used with my screen in, but not on a window where rain could enter the vent. If it's facing where rain doesn't usually come in, you should be fine. Otherwise, there's a rain cover that would require you to remove the screen.

FYI, the portable (on wheels) ACs are NOT small. It will take up space. Mine is about 3 ft. tall and 2ft x 2 ft on the floor.

shopliftinginva said: tracker2208 said: Great thread. The ducts in my house were built too small going to the non-master bedrooms. When you close the vents in the master bedroom the air makes a hissing noise trying to force its way out, but my room still gets a trickle. I really wanted to increase the size of the diameter of the ducts going this way, but from researching it doesn't seem possible unless you replace all of the ducts (if someone knows different please let me know!!!).

Before After
------------------- ------------------
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |-----
| | | |
------------------- -------------|

Do the screens open? My mom's can be put up, partway or all the way. Mine are either on or off the window. So it depends on the window. The vent for the portable AC can be used with my screen in, but not on a window where rain could enter the vent. If it's facing where rain doesn't usually come in, you should be fine. Otherwise, there's a rain cover that would require you to remove the screen.

FYI, the portable (on wheels) ACs are NOT small. It will take up space. Mine is about 3 ft. tall and 2ft x 2 ft on the floor.

I edited my original post so it looks right. When you hit the quote button on this thread you can see what I was going for, it just doesn't post like that.

I'm not too concerned about the size. I have a low profile dresser that I can put under the window pane, and the AC would go on that. My screen would have to come off, or I would have to rebuild them into that unorthodox shape. The window is facing the side of my neighbors house (about 15 feet separate the houses at that point), so I'm not too worried about it looking ugly.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017