• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Newegg has the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat on sale for $174.99 - $15.00 using coupon code "EMCEFGF64" = $159.99 with free shipping

• Control via App Over Wi-Fi
  • No Monthly Service
  • Customizable Touchscreen
  • Intelligent Alerts (Filter, Temperature and Humidifier Pad Change)

4.3/5 stars based on 1,601 customer reviews at Amazon - $176.95 shipped. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
$15 is huge?

TellyTubby (Jan. 23, 2016 @ 1:27p) |

I'm wondering the same thing. The only advantage I see is if you can trigger the AC on humidity readings instead of temp... (more)

dealsnmoredeals (Jan. 23, 2016 @ 4:14p) |

How is this compare to the Nest and Ecoobee? I know this is 100 off but as far as functionally wise.

simply2easy (Jan. 23, 2016 @ 9:28p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have this. It is fantastic. I paid less but got mine as an openbox. Thanks OP.

+1 on the thermostat. I also have this one.

I think it has already paid for itself in that, when I am out of the house, and have forgotten to either lower the temp or turn it off completely I can do so remotely.

I can also "prewarm" the house before returning home. The significant other appreciates this option.

IMHO, this item should be building code on all new construction.

Beyond the wifi connectivity it is nice to have a touchscreen and intuitive scheduling. This has been the easiest to schedule thermostat I've ever had. And the wifi allows me to set a overly restrictive schedule and override it when plans change. 

Good deal. However, my suggestion is get a $99 Smartthings hub and a Honeywell zee wave thermastat for about $95.....way more home automation flexibility in the future...can do everything this can do and much, much more....automate lights, doors, alarms, cameras, garage doors, link with Amazon Echo, etc.

Thanks.

Decent thermostat, had it die on me because the wifi broke. Not as good as the Ecobee but simple controls and pretty straightforward. If you can spend the extra money get the Ecobee or follow the suggestion about the Smartthings hub and Zwave.

On Jet.com, there is a $15 coupon code (15NOW) and then if you have AMEX, there is a $20 statement credit on Jet.com if you spend $50 or more. Furthermore, your city may have a rebate of 50% off the cost of a thermostat (mine did) and you can check by going to the honeywell website.

I actually bought a lesser model (honestly, all you need is WIFI and programmable features) that was $89 (not including all the above discounts mentioned) that was rated #1 in consumer reports.

For those that have this model are you able to have your furnace or cooling unit switched off but still run the fan to circulate air? I believe that is a limitation of the Nest. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Yes, you can set the fan to run all the time, whether the heating/cooling system is turned on or not. I set my fan to run all the time when the outside temps get down into the 'teens. It is very easy to control, either remotely or on the unit itself. I've had mine for two years and am very happy with it. 

sijaz said:   Good deal. However, my suggestion is get a $99 Smartthings hub and a Honeywell zee wave thermastat for about $95.....way more home automation flexibility in the future...can do everything this can do and much, much more....automate lights, doors, alarms, cameras, garage doors, link with Amazon Echo, etc.
  Can you please provide a link to the $95 thermostat? The cheapest I could find was $140 on Amazon.

As skunker mentioned above, the $99 Honeywell WiFi thermostat is great - I bought it two years ago, and it ended up being free after $100 rebate from National Grid.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Wi-Fi-7-Day-Programmable-Th... 

And the $100 rebate is still available in MA:
https://www1.nationalgridus.com/WiFiThermostatMA-MA-RES

I just bought this at Lowes for $185 yesterday and I own a Smartthings Hub. Looks like it can work with it, with some hacking. A lot of people have posted code to make it work with it.

alanstarr said:   As skunker mentioned above, the $99 Honeywell WiFi thermostat is great - I bought it two years ago, and it ended up being free after $100 rebate from National Grid.

I bought this as well, but from Jet for $89, plus $20 AmEx Promo. Stacked it with my $30 Washington Gas rebate.

https://jet.com/product/Honeywell-RTH6580WF-Wi-Fi-7-Day-Programm...

To those that have this:

Can I "Lock" this so that others in the office can't manually override the settings? I need a thermostat that requires a code entry or something to prevent meddling with the settings by prying hands.

alanstarr said:   As skunker mentioned above, the $99 Honeywell WiFi thermostat is great - I bought it two years ago, and it ended up being free after $100 rebate from National Grid.

I didnt even know rebates like this existed. Found one rebate with Xcel for CO and Minnesota. 

http://www.xcelenergy.com/Energy_Solutions/Rebate_Finder_Tool/Smart_Thermostat_Rebates

Its not $100 but just $50 on selected models. It says only single family homes. Wish they did it for condos as well

lexscholar said:   To those that have this:

Can I "Lock" this so that others in the office can't manually override the settings? I need a thermostat that requires a code entry or something to prevent meddling with the settings by prying hands.

Yes you can add a lock code. 

skunker said:   I actually bought a lesser model (honestly, all you need is WIFI and programmable features) that was $89 (not including all the above discounts mentioned) that was rated #1 in consumer reports.

Agreed. I have the (discontinued?) wifi Filtrete 3M-50. I'd still get it over this honeywell. In addition to price, I don't want a tablet stuck to my wall.

Dotbody said:   
skunker said:   I actually bought a lesser model (honestly, all you need is WIFI and programmable features) that was $89 (not including all the above discounts mentioned) that was rated #1 in consumer reports.
  Agreed. I have the (discontinued?) wifi Filtrete 3M-50. I'd still get it over this honeywell. In addition to price, I don't want a tablet stuck to my wall.

Not disagreeing with your choice, just letting people know this thing is small; the size of a deck of cards. I thought it would be much bigger as well. 

Also this thermostat requires a "C" wire run to it so if you're replacing an old thermostat that only has a 2 wire run to it, you'll have to run a whole new wire. (not fun, believe me)

Thanks OP and contributors.  I was on the fence on this one.  I already have one of the $89-99 units at another location.   Looked up my utility (Black Hills Energy).  They are doing a $50 rebate on the thermostat, or $150 combo rebate on thermostat and having maintenance done on your furnace.  I'm going to get my furnace looked at, buy this, and install it... and get the $150 rebate.

Amazon has a similar one on sale for $136.44 for Prime members today!

Those of you who are in NY and are using ConEdison, you may be able to get this (or a very similar) model through their Central Air-Conditioning program for free + free installation + $25 "thank you" check: http://www.coned.com/energyefficiency/residential_directloadcont...

ionxchanger said:

I didnt even know rebates like this existed. Found one rebate with Xcel for CO and Minnesota. 

http://www.xcelenergy.com/Energy_Solutions/Rebate_Finder_Tool/Smart_Thermostat_Rebates 

Its not $100 but just $50 on selected models. It says only single family homes. Wish they did it for condos as well

What does this suppose to mean (copied from Xcel rebate form):
Customer Information Exchanged with Smart Thermostat Manufacturers
Please note: In order to confirm that your smart thermostat is installed, Xcel Energy will share your smart thermostat serial number with your smart thermostat manufacturer (indicated above in the qualifying thermostat table) and in turn your smart thermostat manufacturer will share anonymized smart thermostat usage data with Xcel Energy. This exchange of information is covered by confidentiality terms existing between Xcel Energy and the smart thermostat manufacturers.

Does this mean the thermostat sends data back to the manufacturer?

This used to be $174.99 before so that really is a huge difference. I've been waiting for this to drop its price coz I want to have one, my neighbor says it saves a lot of energy but the downside is it doesn't have motion sensors for A/C

Other then having the ability to control remotely and its free after rebate in some states (but not mine), what other reason would I have it? My $40 programmable unit works just fine. I typically change it 2 times per year... Heat to air and air to heat and the programming follows that switch.

theflashfan said:   This used to be $174.99 before so that really is a huge difference.
  $15 is huge?

drblevins said:   Other then having the ability to control remotely and its free after rebate in some states (but not mine), what other reason would I have it? My $40 programmable unit works just fine. I typically change it 2 times per year... Heat to air and air to heat and the programming follows that switch.

I'm wondering the same thing. The only advantage I see is if you can trigger the AC on humidity readings instead of temperature readings. The picture shows that it displays humidity %. My old programmable only reads on temperature, so it will only trigger on temperature, but I found a way around that with just using the timing to get the levels I want since humidity is more important to me.

Anybody that has this, can it trigger itself off and on from humidity? Or is it only temperature control?

How is this compare to the Nest and Ecoobee? I know this is 100 off but as far as functionally wise.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016