This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals

BMW i3 - $299 a month / $0 out of pocket - 30 month lease- ~ $52,000 car !

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

Las Vegas Valley Charging Ports
Thanks TheSteelCurtain
Disclaimer

BMW
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I'm in AZ too and didn't see any on the dealer sites. Looking into Cali.

Skitch23 (Sep. 05, 2016 @ 1:50p) |

let me know if you find 2 Today's the last day of 2016 lease deal I think

needhelpplease (Sep. 05, 2016 @ 1:53p) |

needhelpplease (Sep. 05, 2016 @ 2:09p) |

Not sure about how you can have range anxiety. Here are all the free charging ports in Las Vegas and Henderson so far.  Again, drive around the 215/95/515 all the way around is about 79 miles. I highly recommend this car for THIS CITY.  Greens are regular chargers, reds are high power chargers, and blues are shared residential chargers. 
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › BMW
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Vehicle includes all Maitenance & services during that time as well.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/bmwi3

$9K when its all done.

$0.25/miles for anything above 30K. Who drives 10K/year?

nguyenkfw said:   $0.25/miles for anything above 30K. Who drives 10K/year?
  Uh. A lot of people. But we don't lease. ​  

It's 12K miles per year.  Many people do.

mathematical genius

treasurebeacon said:   
mathematical genius

Uh oh - now even BMW is trying to unload electric cars.  Nissan - ditto last year. Chevy - heavily discounted Volt I.

For the record - shorting TSLA

Just looked at the car. I dont think looks are too great and for the price I would not want one....even for a $99 lease.

I did the 3-day test drive of one last year and couldn't believe that piece of plastic was $52k (I think the one I was in was more like $63k). I got the "extended" range version, which just adds a small generator and 2-3 gallons of gas. I only got about 68 miles on my first full charge (EPA rating is 80-100mi, BEV rating is 81mi) and based on that experience, I would NEVER buy any of the all-electric vehicles out there besides a BMW i8 or any Tesla. Every little comfort I enjoy in a vehicle made me feel like I was sucking range away from the paltry range it had to begin with. You want your radio on? There goes a few miles. It's 50 degrees out and you actually want some heat? There goes another 10 miles of range.

The good: handling was strong. I've had several BMWs, currently an M3, and the i3 handled like a go-kart without making me feel like it was going to tip over in the corners on those tall wheels. Overall, driving experience was what you expect from a BMW. Except for the "braking."

The bad: where to start...so many things. Range is pitiful. Interior quality is the worst piece of plastic I've been in since I rented a basic Hyundai Sonata. This was certainly NOT the interior you should expect in a $50-60k vehicle. Apart from the awesome wide-screen info system, nothing in the interior was better than an economy car IMO. Brakes were good but the drag from using the electric motors as battery chargers during deceleration was too much. If you dropped off the gas pedal completely, the motion was incredibly jerky, like stabbing the brake instead of slowly depressing it. I know there is a learning curve with all electric vehicles, to just feather the gas pedal if you want to coast, but in 3 days I never felt comfortable with it.

BPH789 said:   
treasurebeacon said:   
mathematical genius

Uh oh - now even BMW is trying to unload electric cars.  Nissan - ditto last year. Chevy - heavily discounted Volt I.

For the record - shorting TSLA

If Tesla keeps the model 3 at $35k price range and offers 200 miles range, model 3 will sell well. I see TSLA around $250/ share around April 1st.

DirtCheapDad said:   I did the 3-day test drive of one last year and couldn't believe that piece of plastic was $52k (I think the one I was in was more like $63k). I got the "extended" range version, which just adds a small generator and 2-3 gallons of gas. I only got about 68 miles on my first full charge (EPA rating is 80-100mi, BEV rating is 81mi) and based on that experience, I would NEVER buy any of the all-electric vehicles out there besides a BMW i8 or any Tesla. Every little comfort I enjoy in a vehicle made me feel like I was sucking range away from the paltry range it had to begin with. You want your radio on? There goes a few miles. It's 50 degrees out and you actually want some heat? There goes another 10 miles of range.

The good: handling was strong. I've had several BMWs, currently an ///M, and the i3 handled like a go-kart without making me feel like it was going to tip over in the corners on those tall wheels. Overall, driving experience was what you expect from a BMW. Except for the "braking."

The bad: where to start...so many things. Range is pitiful. Interior quality is the worst piece of plastic I've been in since I rented a basic Hyundai Sonata. This was certainly NOT the interior you should expect in a $50-60k vehicle. Apart from the awesome wide-screen info system, nothing in the interior was better than an economy car IMO. Brakes were good but the drag from using the electric motors as battery chargers during deceleration was too much. If you dropped off the gas pedal completely, the motion was incredibly jerky, like stabbing the brake instead of slowly depressing it. I know there is a learning curve with all electric vehicles, to just feather the gas pedal if you want to coast, but in 3 days I never felt comfortable with it.

FYP

Does this come with the renage extender or not ??? Its says 150 miles with range extender

Dil

Is this deal only in GA?

As a owner of Chevy Volt, I would not own BMW i3. That range is only good in summer. If you live in the north, the range is really half. So, if your daily commute is 20miles one way, you are good to go. Otherwise you will be sweating.

For those looking for all electric, Chevy is coming out with a vehicle called Bolt with a > 200mile range and a decent price tag. It is going to be a 2017 model. Unless you want to wait for 2yrs for a Tesla model 3, you can get a chevy bolt in couple of months.

DirtCheapDad said:   I did the 3-day test drive of one last year and couldn't believe that piece of plastic was $52k (I think the one I was in was more like $63k). I got the "extended" range version, which just adds a small generator and 2-3 gallons of gas. I only got about 68 miles on my first full charge (EPA rating is 80-100mi, BEV rating is 81mi) and based on that experience, I would NEVER buy any of the all-electric vehicles out there besides a BMW i8 or any Tesla. Every little comfort I enjoy in a vehicle made me feel like I was sucking range away from the paltry range it had to begin with. You want your radio on? There goes a few miles. It's 50 degrees out and you actually want some heat? There goes another 10 miles of range.

The good: handling was strong. I've had several BMWs, currently an M3, and the i3 handled like a go-kart without making me feel like it was going to tip over in the corners on those tall wheels. Overall, driving experience was what you expect from a BMW. Except for the "braking."

I test drove one for 3 days as well... I got 44 miles tops (that's 22 miles one way) + 2 gallon capacity/ ICE for emergency?
+1 on the cheap plastic, riding high, jerky movements, bicycle like thin tires..

On top of what was said..
- No power windows
- Turn on AC the range drops down drastically
- No power seats

Seriously, this is a joke. Wouldnt plonk $1 on this until they improve battery technology and get the range up.
Expensive vehicle to buy/ own for grocery runs.

I test drove one too, I thought it wasn't so bad -- yes there was getting used to the gas/brake but it was a nice car after that. They are TRYing to straddle the line between upmarket with the widescreen info system (Tesla has a great one too) and greenies with the low impact recycled material interior. I thought it was a great car as long as your daily commute was less than 30 miles each way. It looks like a nice car to be "stuck" in traffic in -- the car would use less energy than a gas car in stop/go traffic and the regen system makes creeping easy. I can't say I ever used the brake. If the lease includes the loaner program you can always reserve a normal BMW for trips too.

Its pretty obvious why they would be doing this, gas is well under $2 a gallon here. People are back to buying big SUVs like gas will never go up in price again. (I had one back when gas was at peak, it was painful) I can't do electrics where I live - it is one of the major hurdles to get over because a LOT of folks live in apartments and condos. That is why Tesla pushes the free recharges so hard, it allows all the "city" folks to buy in. These short range (and there are a LOT of them in compliance states) little vehicles are great for people with private garages - and nobody else.

Remember that Tesla, BMW, and GM are the only people making vehicles with electrics that aren't just doing it for compliance -- they have to make a profit.

I also test drove this car for 3 days and I actually liked it. But I think it's worth only about 35-40k or so. Wouldn't have purchased either at 45-50k. But 30k miles at 9k in price, i think it's really worth it. Considering any average car will get you 25 miles to the gallon, that's about 2.5k in gas over the life of the lease. I pay $.09 per kw of electricity and this car is 22 kw per full charge which gives 81 miles. Obviously, realistically, with some heavy footing and accessories usage, this car will get about 70 miles to the full 22kw charge with ends up being about $.03 per mile driven. Which then says I'll pay about $900 to use this car compared to the $2500 in gas I will use. That's a $1600 savings. Not bad. Total investment is 9000+730sales tax+$900 electricity cost, + $500or so incidentals = $11130 Total investment. MSRP is 54850 plus $4400taxes = $59200 $11130/$59200= 18.8%

So considering I'm paying only 18.8% for a car over the first 30k miles and 2.5 years, and seeing that most $50k BMW 3 Series at 30k miles has been selling for $30k, that's 40% depreciation. You are netting about 21% off of $50k.

This deal is actually saving you around $10,000 over 30 months or 30k miles, whichever comes first. That's IF you value your i3 at 50k. I valued it around 35-40k so in actuality, It's a break even. That is why I will pass.

Thank you OP though because on paper, this is a great deal!!!!!

Not going to see the $35K model until the new battery factory is built, its not economically possible to built them until there is a steady cheaper supply of the cells.  I do expect to see a surge of items designed for the 18650 to be available in the US.  (I converted to that format for my LED flashlights, and have a quality charger for them)  The problem is that they are "restricted" shipping items and you cannot currently order the cells except via importers who order them in by barge.

My guess is that Tesla has enough batteries supply-in-chain to either make S or X models in quantity and they make more money off the S.  (they sell for about the same, but I would suspect that the S has a lower production cost)  

Last I heard the Factory was on-schedule but having labor issues. 

Wife has the i3 with REX, I have the Leaf. (2011).

1. We got $10000 back. $7500 federal credit, $2500 state. Yes, you have to owe enough taxes to get the full credit back.
2. If you have gas to back you up, who cares about how much electricity you use, really? Stop and get some more gas. It's about 130 miles reported range. Stop ONCE and you have almost 200. Should be plenty for most people. And this is with no charge capability at work, even a 110V outlet will give you easily 20-30 more miles during an 8 hour work day.
3. It's not all drag from the motor when you let off. I'm pretty sure some is brakes if you let off all the way since it's strong even when it's full. And the brake lights come on. It's pretty nice to be able to drive with ONE PEDAL when you get used to it. It's also smooth when you 'get it'.
4. You're comparing an i8 to a Tesla?! 15 miles electric range vs. 200+? What about the Volt? (30 something electric, then a lot on gas), 2016 Leaf with 30Kwhr pack (100+ easy, real world, probably about 115 for me the way I drive).
5. Radio? In my Leaf there is a solar panel that will drive the radio. Miniscule. Even the A/C doesn't draw much. Yes, heat does. Use the app to turn on climate control when it's plugged in. I preheat my Leaf while I'm getting ready for work. Toasty 76 when I get in.
6. Interior. Mmm, it's got quite a bit of real wood, fairly quality materials though I think they are going to lightweight and 'green', and the screens look great compared to my Leaf. But the controls are worse in come cases, better than others.

MY assessment: get a used Leaf for most bang for the buck. Older ones are about $10,000. Get the one with ChaDEMO. My dealer has it free, and in 5-6 minutes, you can pick up about about 16 miles of range. It's free, and if that's all you need, cool. I never need it. I charge at work and drive 60-70 mostly highway each way and have about 20 miles left over at 80% charge. 41-44 mile trip each way.

Definitely keep the posts coming - this is great conversation! Just make sure the discussion in on the deal itself, and not the company's stocks.

I think Chevy Volt beats all electric cars so far. It priced right. You can travel unlimited miles if you really want to. It give enough for most to get from A to B and then from B to A on single charge. Ride quality is pretty nice too and car is very well equipped.

With so much stress in life, I don't know who would want to drive i3 with paranoia all the time fearing to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. And as someone mentioned You get at least 30% less miles during cold weather, but also mileage drops during an extremely hot days.

I am paying for my fairly loaded i3-with range extender $299 with $1000 drive off. Main reason I got it was for the HOV eligibility, regardlessI cannot be happier for the car itself. It is super quick ( quicker 0-40 miles than last gen M3), great visibility, quality materials ( most of the stuff referred as plastic here are carbon fiber and recycled materials so not everyone's taste) and very high tech ( mine has tech and driver assistance package). In a mild climate, range is 70-75 miles with normal driving style and range extender will add another 60 miles. My total cost of ownership is probably cheaper than leasing a prius at same terms.

I leased an i3 with Range Extender in December for $160/month (12K miles) in California. I put $2500 down but got that back as a rebate from the state. Also did Multiple Security Deposits (which are returned at the end of the lease) to reduce the interest rate. For 1000 miles/month, it will cost me about $33 if I charge it all at home. I actually charge about 25% at work. BMW also includes 2 years free access to the eVGo network including DC FAST chargers which will charge the battery to 80% in 30 minutes.

From my Yodlee data for last year, I am paying $240/month less for gas so far this year. So I'm ahead about $55/month. And I'm driving a nicer car than my old 2001 car which was costing me $500/year in maintenance.

The i3 also came with a one year free Sirius radio subscription. I also did an offer for a free pair of Bowers & Wilkins headphones ($300 on Amazon) for coming in to go over the car's features after purchase.

If your a badge player and want a car that's "different" from the rest in traffic, this car is pretty unbeatable at this price. You can run fuel as well and normal people don't do more than 50 miles round-trip daily from their job unless compensated, so between a charge and the tank your set. I sat in one for a while yesterday and the electronics where amazing and it had all the power stuff (Windows / keyless). Pretty neat looking car and the wood inside is awesome, I hope this helps someone and wish everybody the best / safe driving !!!

Too bad a 30 month lease doesn't qualify for the $2500 rebate in CA.

Edit: nevermind, it does.  I was thinking 24

fatihezgin said:   In a mild climate, range is 70-75 miles with normal driving style and range extender will add another 60 miles.
  Is the range extender really intended for emergency use only like a spare tire and not meant to be used for extra mileage unless you absolutely have to?

$299 is for the range extender-less model

I'm guessing that no one bought them and opted for the ones with gas backup.

Redbeard25 said:   $299 is for the range extender-less model 

I'm guessing that no one bought them and opted for the ones with gas backup.

Too bad the gas backup version can't get a HOV sticker in CA either. (They are out at this time for Green stickers)

unnamedny said:   I think Chevy Volt beats all electric cars so far. It priced right. You can travel unlimited miles if you really want to. It give enough for most to get from A to B and then from B to A on single charge. Ride quality is pretty nice too and car is very well equipped.

With so much stress in life, I don't know who would want to drive i3 with paranoia all the time fearing to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. And as someone mentioned You get at least 30% less miles during cold weather, but also mileage drops during an extremely hot days.

How many people actually have range anxiety for reals?  I mean I would think that 99.9% of people who buy this car has their trips and life planned pretty well.  If you travel 60 miles a day to work and live in sub zero climate, I'm pretty sure you're not in the market to buy this car.  If I'm driving an i3 one way non stop from wherever I live and get "Stuck in the middle of nowhere", I can't be any further than 81 miles from my house.  I'm hoping that people who are 80 miles from their house still has an idea of where they are and most likely can still get an Uber. Or, maybe you have AAA.  Or your insurance has free towing like Liberty Mutual offers.   

People who have range anxiety has gas anxiety also.  It's only the people who wait until the very last drop of gas is used before filling up 10 bucks and doing it again in 3 days who will have trouble with range anxiety.  The only time I can ever see anyone in a major city driving this thing and running out of electricity are people who forgot to charge their car and knowingly goes out to wherever knowing that they may just make it.  And if that is the case, again you are not "Stuck in the middle of nowhere".  You're stuck somewhere on your normal route to and from work or to and from a store or to and from a restaurant.  

Not one person I have ever met that has an electric vehicle or a plug in hybrid has ever said they take the car to the extreme and has range anxiety.  You know exactly the route that car goes everyday and if you go somewhere where you think there may even be a slight chance you may not make it, you don't take the electric car.  It's that simple. Only chance I ever get stuck in the middle of nowhere is if I have a gas vehicle and drive 300 miles away from my house and am actually stuck in the middle of nowhere.  Think about it, has anyone ever seen an i3, a tesla, a leaf, or any electric car randomly left on the freeway or overnight in a parking lot because they are out of juice?  Heck no.  Because people who drive these vehicles are prepared. 

What is the residual? No way of knowing if this is a good deal without that key bit of information. Also, if you don't understand residual, do not lease.

forbin4040 said:   Too bad a 30 month lease doesn't qualify for the $2500 rebate in CA.

Unless the rules changed since December, I got the $2500 rebate on a 30 month lease.

TheSteelCurtain said:   
unnamedny said:   I think Chevy Volt beats all electric cars so far. It priced right. You can travel unlimited miles if you really want to. It give enough for most to get from A to B and then from B to A on single charge. Ride quality is pretty nice too and car is very well equipped.

How many people actually have range anxiety for reals?  I mean I would think that 99.9% of people who buy this car has their trips and life planned pretty well.  If you travel 60 miles a day to work and live in sub zero climate, I'm pretty sure you're not in the market to buy this car.  If I'm driving an i3 one way non stop from wherever I live and get "Stuck in the middle of nowhere", I can't be any further than 81 miles from my house.  I'm hoping that people who are 80 miles from their house still has an idea of where they are and most likely can still get an Uber. Or, maybe you have AAA.  Or your insurance has free towing like Liberty Mutual offers.   

People who have range anxiety has gas anxiety also.  It's only the people who wait until the very last drop of gas is used before filling up 10 bucks and doing it again in 3 days who will have trouble with range anxiety.  The only time I can ever see anyone in a major city driving this thing and running out of electricity are people who forgot to charge their car and knowingly goes out to wherever knowing that they may just make it.  And if that is the case, again you are not "Stuck in the middle of nowhere".  You're stuck somewhere on your normal route to and from work or to and from a store or to and from a restaurant.  

Not one person I have ever met that has an electric vehicle or a plug in hybrid has ever said they take the car to the extreme and has range anxiety.  You know exactly the route that car goes everyday and if you go somewhere where you think there may even be a slight chance you may not make it, you don't take the electric car.  It's that simple. Only chance I ever get stuck in the middle of nowhere is if I have a gas vehicle and drive 300 miles away from my house and am actually stuck in the middle of nowhere.  Think about it, has anyone ever seen an i3, a tesla, a leaf, or any electric car randomly left on the freeway or overnight in a parking lot because they are out of juice?  Heck no.  Because people who drive these vehicles are prepared. 

Really? You have never seen electric cars on tow truck? I see Tesla's sitting on top of tow trucks few times in NYC, I wonder why.
By stuck in the middle of nowhere I meant place away from your home without ability to charge your car. Imagine situation a coworker needs an emergency lift to their home, wife is giving birth, relative got sick, ect. what are you going to tell him/her? "Sorry my car will get stuck in the middle of the road if I take you there, so f*ck you pal". Electric cars are great, but they are not for everyone, Volt far more superior in value, practicality and usability.  

S197 said:   What is the residual? No way of knowing if this is a good deal without that key bit of information. Also, if you don't understand residual, do not lease.
  I think this lease is extremely subsidized, just to push the sales and promote certain brand electric car.

Something you guys might be missing and something I have experienced before with local car dealers... It says the deal only applies to cars in the ad (twice),,There is 1 stock number in the ad (twice)..That means only 1 is available....And chances are when you go into that dealer and say you want the deal..they will tell you it's only that stock number..and it was "sold". That's why when I shop for lease (every 2-3 years) I look for the National lease deals being advertised National (subsidized by The Company).. I execute it with which ever dealer will execute it to the tee without pulling a fast one with one of their add-on fees.

forbin4040 said:   Too bad a 30 month lease doesn't qualify for the $2500 rebate in CA.
  Link?

DickinMiami said:   Something you guys might be missing and something I have experienced before with local car dealers... It says the deal only applies to cars in the ad (twice),,There is 1 stock number in the ad (twice)..That means only 1 is available....And chances are when you go into that dealer and say you want the deal..they will tell you it's only that stock number..and it was "sold". That's why when I shop for lease (every 2-3 years) I look for the National lease deals being advertised National (subsidized by The Company).. I execute it with which ever dealer will execute it to the tee without pulling a fast one with one of their add-on fees.
  You call and get it in writing ahead of time signed by a manager, that's what I do. If they can't provide a written opportunity with some type managerial approval, your not buying a car anyways. This is also a BMW store, not lucky Lou's auto emporium so there will be a survey and accountability as well. 

LongDongSilver said:   
fatihezgin said:   In a mild climate, range is 70-75 miles with normal driving style and range extender will add another 60 miles.
  Is the range extender really intended for emergency use only like a spare tire and not meant to be used for extra mileage unless you absolutely have to?

The range extender is a 650cc motorcycle engine driving a generator.  (its the exact same engine I have in my C650GT motorscooter)  Since it drives a generator and not the wheels its a "fixed gear" motor.  I don't see any reason why you can't lean on it a lot -- I have ridden my bike from Dallas to Houston several times.

unnamedny said: I think Chevy Volt beats all electric cars so far. It priced right. You can travel unlimited miles if you really want to. It give enough for most to get from A to B and then from B to A on single charge. Ride quality is pretty nice too and car is very well equipped.

---

I think this lease is extremely subsidized, just to push the sales and promote certain brand electric car.

The i3 with REX is apples to apples with the Volt.  It comes down to which of the two you like for the price, lease or buy.  Honestly the only dealers that would even bother to stock a non-REX model are in CA.  (at least the dealer here in TX said he wasn't planning to order any without REX)  If you can get a comparable lease deal between the two then pick the one you prefer.  The test car I drove was a non-REX, but it was not a dealer car -- it was at a BMW corporate sponsored driving event, I also drove a car (7series)  that cost more than my Condo...

And that is pretty much the reason for every vehicle subsidy EVER. 

I have 106 miles roundtrip commute and I use the range extender daily. So far no issues, except it is a bit noisy.

Skipping 112 Messages...
needhelpplease said:   
Skitch23 said:   I'm in AZ too and didn't see any on the dealer sites. Looking into Cali.

let me know if you find 2 Today's the last day of 2016 lease deal I think

All REX

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/New+Cars/BMW/Peoria+AZ-8...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017