Very YMMV: Asus MeMO Pad 7 LTE for AT&T GoPhone $40 @ Walmart B&M

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

AT T ASUS MeMo Pad 7 LTE GoPhone Prepaid Tablet - Walmart.com
Disclaimer
I came across this tablet last night at the WalMart off of Hudson Bridge Rd and I-75 in Stockbridge GA when I was browsing about the electronics section. There were 6 of these orange boxes in the lock-up cabinet, and the top one had a sticker of $120-something, but the price sticker at the base of the pile had $40, down from $168 (which it still is on Walmart's website). I asked for a price check, and it rang up $40. I walked out with it for $42 with tax. I've found reviews for it here and here. Cases and screen protectors are still available on Amazon. Please note: apparently, the cases for the regular MeMO Pad 7 will not fit this particular model. I've been finagling with this thing all afternoon and here's what I've noticed:

-my unit's battery was almost completely drained when I took it out. I had to leave it plugged in for a few minutes to even get the battery-charging animation to show up on the screen, so I let it charge all this morning, and it turned on just fine.
-I found the manual on ASUS's site. And here's At&T's webpage for it 
-my unit has KitKat 4.4.4 on it, and I have not been able to download the Lollipop update yet. I'm not sure why. AT&T's website does say there is an update to 5.1.1 available via wifi download, but my tablet insists there's no update yet. I don't have an AT&T GoPhone account, so that might have something to do with it. Frankly, I'm fine with Kitkat as the last Asus tablet I had before this (an Me572) got real wonky after it updated to Lollipop.
-it doesn't like the 128gb PNY micro SD card I tried to put in it-it would just keep freezing up and I had to hold the power button to shut it down. It's taken all of the 64gb cards I've fed it so far just fine, though. EDIT: I've gotten it to take another 128gb PNY micro SD card fine. I had to freshly format it in exFAT with my PC first and then put my files on it for the tablet to read.
-it has this flap over the card slots for the SIM and microSD card slots. A bit annoying, but nothing I can't live with at this price.
-I have no idea if this tablet can be unlocked to be used on another mobile service. It's working by wifi, and that fits my needs just fine.
-it does have some AT&T programs installed, but they disabled just fine, and they didn't pop back up after I rebooted the tablet.
-I haven't been able to locate how long the warranty is for this thing yet.

I've included a redacted scan of my receipt.  Good luck.

Edits to include the location and that I've gotten it to take a 128gb micro SD card.
Edit-just realized I included the wrong cross street. Sry.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Bought 3 of these ages ago but just got around to rooting them, intending for them to be Christmas presents for kids.

Any... (more)

Tarajunky (Dec. 04, 2016 @ 2:15a) |

i know this is an old thread ... but can any of you that got this deal help?

I cannot charge this tablet with any comb... (more)

woody56 (Feb. 05, 2017 @ 8:32a) |

I have never used the OEM charger ... it's still in the box.

I have used:

1) Kindle Powerfast International Charging Kit u... (more)

NoMoneyInMyWallet (Feb. 05, 2017 @ 11:41a) |

sku: 44618318
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

YMMV,sure; but very well written post. Green!

Note to OP: you might want to include the store location where you still left 5 for the taking.
ETA: receipt says Stockbridge, GA.

Brickseek is showing this at $40 for most stores.

I accidentally stumbled across this on my own today while looking for those elusive Verizon Moto Es. I do wonder if these can be unlocked like their Go Phones or is this another animal. Curious about the Lollipop update too. Kit Kat was great on a Nexus 7 2012, Lollipop horrible.

Like devyanks90 mentioned above, it does appear to be $40 most everywhere and available.

devyanks90 said:   Brickseek is showing this at $40 for most stores.
  More info please

serenity22 said:   
  More info please

Brickseek is an inventory checker for Target and Wal-Mart. Click here, put in your zip code and this item # (44618318) and it will tell you if it is in stock at Wal-Marts near you. It will also tell you the price. It isn't always accurate, but I've found enough deals through them to give it a shot. 

anonguy said:   
serenity22 said:   
  More info please

Brickseek is an inventory checker for Target and Wal-Mart. Click here, put in your zip code and this item # (44618318) and it will tell you if it is in stock at Wal-Marts near you. It will also tell you the price. It isn't always accurate, but I've found enough deals through them to give it a shot. 

When it says limited quantity 1 or less, is this pretty much a no availability?

I was at a store where Brickseek said one Zenfone 2 was available. The clerk couldn't find it. However Brickseek said two other stores had two Moto Es available and it was correct. So really it is sometimes hit and miss. If the store isn't that far out of the way and it is something you want, checking in even on "only one in stock" may be worth it. The thing with Wal-Mart is every store seems to handle phone closeouts differently. Some have them on the racks, others in cages on floors, cages in warehouse and behind the cell phone sales counter. Being nice and asking for a search can pay dividends if you don't see one out.

You need to find out ASUS model number in order to get the correct case. It will also tell you the year it was made.

Is this better than the 7" Fire tablet for $40? I realize the Fire tab is only 8gb, but if used as a surfer or music streamer that may not matter. I guess the better question is, which would have better performance?

Thanks, op!!! Found 10 of these in a store 10 miles away.

pianomaster said:   Thanks, op!!! Found 10 of these in a store 10 miles away.
  Where do you live?  Did you see that on Brickseek or find it at the store?

It seems that these can be unlocked.  Link to XDA -  Rooting At&t Asus Memo Pad 7 LTE (ME375CL) aka K00X

nguyenkfw said:   
pianomaster said:   Thanks, op!!! Found 10 of these in a store 10 miles away.
  Where do you live?  Did you see that on Brickseek or find it at the store?

I did see on Brickseek 2 or more available.

got one.

thanks op

The serial number to buy accessories  is ME375CLhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/PU-Leather-Smart-Folio-Flip-Stand-Case-Cover-Fo...

You can unlock them by using this link and following the steps.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

kl001 said:   You can unlock them by using this link and following the steps.

so if unlocked
can it be used on TMO 200mb unlimited?
or is this one blocked

WindWalker said:   

so if unlocked
can it be used on TMO 200mb unlimited?
or is this one blocked

I wonder about this too. Is this the ME572CL model? According to http://willmyphonework.net/, that only works on some TMO bands: Band 4-AWS, Band 2-1900MHz.

EDIT: I see the mention that its the ME375CL: https://www.asus.com/us/Tablets/ASUS_MeMO_Pad_7_LTE_ME375CL/spec... which lists 4G LTE as 700(28)/800/900(8)/1700/1800(3)/1900/2100(1)/2500(7)

Picked up 2 this afternoon in NorCal.  Sent unlock requests in.  We'll see in a few days how the unlock goes....have T-Mobile SIMs lined up ready to deploy.

If that fails, I will just wait for the next 99 cent Freedompop Global SIM sale ... those should work fine. 

By the way, Brickseek showed 2+ in stock, when I got there they couldn't find ANY on the shelves, in the cage, or behind the counter.  They did look it up and their computer showed 2 in stock.  One clerk disappeared in the back for quite awhile and finally came back with the 2 I purchased.  I have no idea where she went to finally find them.

I got one this afternoon as well. It was behind the counter in a locked cupboard. I took one of three in there.

But, there seems to be a problem... it was dead when I opened it, and it won't charge. Keeps blinking green and red bar with the empty battery logo. Any have this issue? If so, how did you get it to charge?

Brickseek indicated 1 or less at my local WalMart. Went anyways and politely inquired (as recommended) - clerk checked beneath their tablet display and had 3 in their locked cabinets. Walked out with 1.

golgo1313 said:   I got one this afternoon as well. It was behind the counter in a locked cupboard. I took one of three in there.

But, there seems to be a problem... it was dead when I opened it, and it won't charge. Keeps blinking green and red bar with the empty battery logo. Any have this issue? If so, how did you get it to charge?

Initially I had the same fear...but I took a nap, about 30m later, it had enough of a charge to power on. Give it a chance to charge.

PurpleDog said:   I was able to pick up 2 at the WalMart in Bedford, VA.
If anyone has information about free - or cheap - data for these, please let me know.
I live in a rural area and Freedompop is a long ways off from getting to my location !

The Freedompop global sim runs $0.99 to $9.99 depending on the day.  You get basically 700mb/mo free data.  It uses AT&T and T-Mobile towers.  They are as near as your mailbox....
T-Mobile has the 200mb/mo free plan...I will know in a day or two how well those work.  T-Mob also has 5GB data for $30/mo, with excess at slower speeds.
Otherwise, Cricket may be the cheapest AT&T data at 2.5GB then throttled for $35/mo.

I have found that for WAZE in the car, a lot, and the occasional email/web surfing, the 200mb free plan from T-Mob is fine, using wifi when I can.

pianomaster said:     When it says limited quantity 1 or less, is this pretty much a no availability?
  I looked the item up and it showed in stock at a few stores close by. First store just a few miles away I visited without calling to check showed 1 or less. They had a fake one on display with the $169 price, and when the employee showed up I stated I was looking for the 44618318 and he pulled one of the handhelds and reported nothing in stock.

I then figured I had nothing to loose and picked the 2nd closest store near that showed 1. I called this one before driving over. The employee told me that they had 1 left that was new sealed and at the clearance price, plus 1 that was the display unit. I drove over and got the 1 he reported available. So while it is a YMMV there were some available in my area. Another store 30 miles or so away reported more than 2 in stock. I was at that same store last Thursday and probably not worth the drive unless I get down that way again in the next few days for some other reason.

That has the information, but also states for Prepaid devices:
ATT.COM said: Prepaid / GoPhone®
The device must be active for at least six months of paid service.

So will be interested in anyone having success immediately getting one unlocked without any AT&T Gophone service activation first.

I haven't even opened mine yet but did the AT&T unlock process and received the code the very next day. So it does work. I also keyed in this model on T-Mobile 's site and it said it was eligible. So this is good to go. I just need to scare up a SIM.

The only real question on this is the OS update. It is currently Kit Kat but AT&T supposedly will update to Lollipop (edited). However, will that work if you throw in a different SIM? Or can you fire it up with the At&T SIM and, hopefully, update the OS and then unlock it with your previously obtained code. And, finally, is changing from Kit Kat even advisable? I thought one lost the ability to store apps on the SD card with Lollipop (edited). Need an Android expert to chime in here.

anonguy said:   I haven't even opened mine yet but did the AT&T unlock process and received the code the very next day. So it does work. I also keyed in this model on T-Mobile 's site and it said it was eligible. So this is good to go. I just need to scare up a SIM.

The only real question on this is the OS update. It is currently Kit Kat but AT&T supposedly will update to Marshmallow. However, will that work if you throw in a different SIM? Or can you fire it up with the At&T SIM and, hopefully, update the OS and then unlock it with your previously obtained code. And, finally, is changing from Kit Kat even advisable? I thought one lost the ability to store apps on the SD card with Marshmallow. Need an Android expert to chime in here.

In the customer reviews on the WalMart site, there is a review dated 05/2016 that says he was able to update to Lollipop successfully. No mention of Marshmallow though.

chubbypops said:   
anonguy said:   I haven't even opened mine yet but did the AT&T unlock process and received the code the very next day. So it does work. I also keyed in this model on T-Mobile 's site and it said it was eligible. So this is good to go. I just need to scare up a SIM.

The only real question on this is the OS update. It is currently Kit Kat but AT&T supposedly will update to Marshmallow. However, will that work if you throw in a different SIM? Or can you fire it up with the At&T SIM and, hopefully, update the OS and then unlock it with your previously obtained code. And, finally, is changing from Kit Kat even advisable? I thought one lost the ability to store apps on the SD card with Marshmallow. Need an Android expert to chime in here.

In the customer reviews on the WalMart site, there is a review dated 05/2016 that says he was able to update to Lollipop successfully. No mention of Marshmallow though.

Yeah, sorry I was getting ahead in my Android candy! It was Lollipop. That was the review I saw, but wondered if they just were running it on a Go Phone account. I think the OP was having problems getting the update. Wasn't Lollipop the update that killed SD storage though?

got 2 at 40 bucks a piece, 3/4 walmarts had very helpful reps in electronics going through all the locked drawers looking for some and 1 rep was saving some for himself. he wouldnt even open the drawer. all i got was "nope they are sold and were not bringing them back". overall nice hunt for a lazy monday night.

Thanks OP. Green for you. Got one at White Plains, NY WalMart. They had about 10 available (locked inside closed cages) and the checkout lady was very surprised when it rang to $40.00. They didn't know the price. She definitely wanted one.

Old, out of date, no-longer-supported tablet for cheap.  Wow.  You guys must have a lot of spare time and a high tolerance for pain.

kenblakely said:   Old, out of date, no-longer-supported tablet for cheap.  Wow.  You guys must have a lot of spare time and a high tolerance for pain.
  You know us, well

kenblakely said:   Old, out of date, no-longer-supported tablet for cheap.  Wow.  You guys must have a lot of spare time and a high tolerance for pain.

The reason why I got it is for media consumption for my 6 yo. Front-firing stereo speakers &128gb microSD for $40 bucks? No brainer for me. So what if it stays on KK or L. 

For those who want to root to uninstall the bloatware, do NOT update to lollipop. Stay on KK, and go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/memo-pad-7/help/help-rooting-att... 

Already installed nova launcher and this is on my to-do list for today. Once I get the sim unlocked confirmation from ATT, I'll add this to my t-mo account for free 200mb/month. Got lots of sim cards lying around.

Surprised no one has asked "whether this can be activated on Ring+" yet.

I have noticed two URLs for Brickseek WM inventory checker

http: // brickseek.com /WalMart-inventory-checker

http: // brickseek.com /inventory-check/WalMart

I like the layout of the first one.

I bought a couple of them. Why doesn't WalMart scan IMEI even if you don't want the plan just like they did with Lumia 640 Phone? Not sure if this is an issue for unlocking.

FatWKing said:   I bought a couple of them. Why doesn't WalMart scan IMEI even if you don't want the plan just like they did with Lumia 640 Phone? Not sure if this is an issue for unlocking.
  They unlock just fine. Follow the link in post kl001 above. 

Well it is a name brand tablet (not some company that you have never heard of for a brand) that is perfectly fine for typical tablet usage of browsing the internet (on wifi or cellular if you want to sign up through one of the 4G offerings out there). It also has respectable internal memory (not 8 Gb like some tablets in this price range) and expands via a microSD card. So not sure what the pain factor would be other than if you have none available at this price near you and you paid the $169 retail price (that would be painful and not very smart).

Once you have the unlock code from ATT, does anyone have steps, a procedure on how to apply the unlock code?

Skipping 125 Messages...
woody56 said:   i know this is an old thread ... but can any of you that got this deal help?

I cannot charge this tablet with any combination of usb/charger that isn't the original one. Does anyone else have this same issue, or are you using other chargers? Long time since I've run into this issue with a USB device.

I'd like to find a more universal charging solution, just now getting around to posting.

Let me know what you've been successful at using for a charger?
I have never used the OEM charger ... it's still in the box.

I have used:

1) Kindle Powerfast International Charging Kit using the UK adapter, Euro adapter, and US adapter.
2) Kindle Powerfast Charger
3) USB to Micro USB cable connected to computer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017