T-Mobile G Pad X 8.0 free ($39.20) for Existing Customers

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
STARTS TOMORROW, WEDNESDAY 6-15-16
T-Mobile link, http://www.t-mobile.com/internet-devices/lg-g-pad-x-80.html
Got a email from my T-Mobile rep today and verified it with my local T-Mobile store. Starting tomorrow existing customers can get the new LG G Pad X 8.0 for free (almost). Add a data line and pay "$10/mo. x 24 mos. (easy payment plan) Existing customers that add a line will pay half price on the new line. I'm currently using the G Pad F I got for free last fathers day with the same promotion. (only pay $10 a month for 2gb LTE service)
Right now they're having $130 off most of their tablets. Starting tomorrow (Fathers day promotion) you only pay the extra line charge and get the tablet for free. The lowest monthly charge is $10 for existing customers.
T-Mobile will mail you a visa card for the full amount of the tablet in about 6-8 weeks. Pay off the tablet with the card and you can either keep the service or cancel and use the tablet over wifi only.
Over view:
-pay taxes on the tablet retail price of $240 ($19.20 for my county)
-instead of charging you a sim card fee they charge you a activation fee of $20. My local store will waive the fee for me (verified with employee at my local store. YMMV on your negotiating skills)
-pay $10 easy payment plan for phone for 2 months
-pay $10 a month for 2gb LTE service for 2 months
-receive $240 visa card and pay off tablet
$240 cost of tablet
$220 owed after 2 months
$240 visa card- $220 = $20 left over
$59.20 out of pocket for 2 months service & taxes - $20 left on card = $39.20 total for LG G Pad X 8.0

I plan on getting 2 of these and will sell my 1 year old G Pad F to recoup my out of pocket costs, cancel one line of service and use one as wifi only tablet around the house.

The LG G Pad X 8.0 is a upgraded version of the G Pad F. You can compare the 2 tablets at http://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-G-Pad-X-8.0_id10098. This is a new model and limited stock at my local store. If you lag, you might have to have it shipped to you vs having instant gratification.

SpecsDisplay

• 8''
  • 1920 x 1200 pixels

Size and Weight

• 8.3 x 4.8 x 0.31 inches
  • 10.9 ounces

Operating System and Processor

• Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
  • 1.5 GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™

Battery Life

• N/A talk time
  • Up to 20 days standby time

Camera, Photos and Video

• 5MP Rear-Facing Camera
  • 5MP Front-Facing Camera

Memory

• 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, Expandable up to 128GB (sold separately)

Connectivity

• Sync methods: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
  • 4G Capable
  • 4G LTE Capable

International

• Quad Band GSM; LTE: 2, 3, 4, 7, 12; UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)

WEA Capable? 

• Yes

Mobile Pay

• No

Member Summary

LGPad
Thanks Xenocrates
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Still waiting on my rebate card.

poppuh (Aug. 11, 2016 @ 2:24p) |

Got my 3 rebates on 1 card last week, got all 3 tablets unlocked using Twitter DM and escalating issue to trouble ticket... (more)

ForSpud (Aug. 12, 2016 @ 2:01p) |

Got all my rebates back and cancelled lines from T-Mobile. Question for ForSpud: how to unlock this tablet? Any links to... (more)

jackw1989 (Aug. 18, 2016 @ 11:07a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Hearing reports of low inventory out there. Better get them while you can.

From T-Mobile page
"+ $10/mo. x 24 mos. If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due. For well-qualified buyers. 0% APR, O.A.C. Qual'g service req'd."
Can we still cancel after 2 months as OP calculated?

I think the idea is the remaining balance "$220 owed after 2 months" is paid with the prepaid VISA card. So it's part of the calculated cost in OP.

The $240 MIR offsets the $10 x 24 months.

"In 6-8 weeks, you’ll receive a Prepaid MasterCard® Card in the value of $240, the price of the LG G Pad™ X 8.0 tablet."

Thanks Antilamr.

Was a long-time post-paid customer for years. Does a prepaid customer qualify as existing customer? Also, does the EIP need a credit check/hard pull? Thanks.

I did this earlier today. Thank you, OP.

To somewhat answer your question, if you're a post-paid customer, then they don't do a "hard-pull" on your credit since they "know you" already, according to the rep I spoke with when I called in today.

Thanks, gave it a go.

What about pre-paid customers?

What about us Free Data For Life customers? We shouldn't be left out in the cold!

=aw

This is the new meaning of free!   According to T Mobile that is!!

""Add a data line and pay "$10/mo. x 24 mos. (easy payment plan)""

Can I downgrade to free 200MB after getting the rebate card?

bobley said:   Can I downgrade to free 200MB after getting the rebate card?
  i would also like to know, as that is what i want to do...

This seems like an unbelievably great deal. Since I already have a 2GB plan, I'm getting a free upgrade! Thanks OP!!

Thank you. Tmobile was cheaper for me as on Amazon I have to pay tax.

marcopolomle said:   What about pre-paid customers?
"Who is eligible for this promotion?    Any customer who purchases an eligible tablet on an Equipment Installment Plan and either transfers an existing 1GB or higher mobile internet plan, or activates a new mobile internet plan with a minimum of 2GB or higher, during the promotional window, will be eligible for the mail-in rebate."

It sounds like it would include pre-paid customers.

Why there is $10 a month phone line in the original post?

"+ $20.00
SIM Starter Kit " New device purchase requires a SIM Starter Kit which will be added to your order automatically.

Anybody was able to bypass this?

Does this have stereo speakers? Seems to be an upgrade from the Fire HD 8 I have plus LTE

I'm on my account with sister in law and had her add me as authorized user but she said that it didn't let me add new line.  So I called up on the phone as didn't want to drive to the store if I couldn't do it.  Long story short was able to get it over the phone but would have been 10 times easier to do it all online.  Could not get the $20 starter kit waived but she did give me 2 GB data for $20 with a $10 discount per month (so double data for free).  Of course doesn't matter since I will be cancelling once the rebate comes in.  She said it was free overnight shipping so should be here tomorrow.

robstrash said:   I'm on my account with sister in law and had her add me as authorized user but she said that it didn't let me add new line.  So I called up on the phone as didn't want to drive to the store if I couldn't do it.  Long story short was able to get it over the phone but would have been 10 times easier to do it all online.  Could not get the $20 starter kit waived but she did give me 2 GB data for $20 with a $10 discount per month (so double data for free).  Of course doesn't matter since I will be cancelling once the rebate comes in.  She said it was free overnight shipping so should be here tomorrow.

If you cancel wireless service, remaining balance on device becomes due.

First ImpressionMuch improved over last years G Pad F. When setting up the tablet I was able to transfer all my apps & settings from my LG V10. Only took a couple of minutes to complete.
This saved me a good hour or more of having to down load and install everything I have on my phone. I have HBO Go, MAX, Netflix etc... Screen quality on videos is improved (not that the F pad was bad). Sound is improved also. I use KODI and it functions much faster.
On the old tablet it was slower to load and was very slow to exit. Now it exits the app instantly. Not having any lag when switching apps now. The increased ram & faster processor have improved the user experience greatly. The only gripe I have so far is the old tablet had a built in stylus (like the Samsung Note), this one does not.

Sweet deal. Green for OP.

I called in the sales dept to order. Convince her to waive $20 sim card charge. Overall:
- $24.70 for taxes on the tablet
- $10 per month for 2GB data
- $10 per month for tablet
- $240 prepaid card

Might cancel the data service after prepaid card is received. $44.70 n that case.

Sales rep also added overnight shipping.

VoR said:   Does this have stereo speakers? Seems to be an upgrade from the Fire HD 8 I have plus LTE
  No, I got mine today and tested the speakers. One on the right side of the microUSB slot (screen side up) is the speaker. I don't know what the left side is... microphones, maybe? Here is my initial feelings about this tablet after playing with it all afternoon.

Pros: 
1. Super snappy. I haven't kept a ton of apps open in the back to bog down the 2gb of RAM, but it is smooth.
2. Minimal bloatware. I don't have the urge to root and uninstall. They really kept it minimal. The only 2 T-mo installs is antivirus and hotspot. I think there are 3 or 4 apps of LG that I would remove, but right now, it doesn't bug me. 
3. Although the screen is low-res compared to my s7 edge, it is not too bad. For consuming media and browsing webpages it is perfectly adequate. 
4. Quick button. I like how you can program what that button can do. By default, it turn on "night mode" by taking the blue out of the screen, making the screen look sepia. Great for night reading.
5. Full-sized usb port. I haven't used it yet, but no longer need to have an OTG cable around.
6. Light. 
7. Size. Easy to hold in one hand in portrait mode. 

Cons:
1. Yes, it feels like a $240 device. By that I mean it is by no means iPad or Galaxy Tab S2 in quality. The flap that covers the microSD and sim slots isn't tight, so it kinda jiggles in place. But for what it is, the size and weight ratio is great.
2. Gold plastic. Visually not that pleasing, and slippery. 
3. Sim slot. Someone screwed up big time in the design. You have to put the microsim card in a little tray and then slide it in. It is something like a adapter to make a nanosim into a microsim, but it actually isn't a microsim in size. It isn't something you remove and insert in any frequency so I suppose it is OK.

get $35 Cashback for going thru cashback site (Top)
w w w. t o p cashback

Work for me.

cancel after couple months and remainder becomes due?

I am only seeing a $20/month data plan option. Anything special I have to do to get the $10/month?

bkslim said:   I am only seeing a $20/month data plan option. Anything special I have to do to get the $10/month?
  $ 10.00 discount will be given if you have a wireless service with T-Mobile also.

Is there a limit to how many rebates I can get?

golgo1313 said:   <<removed>>
3. Sim slot. Someone screwed up big time in the design. You have to put the microsim card in a little tray and then slide it in. It is something like a adapter to make a nanosim into a microsim, but it actually isn't a microsim in size. It isn't something you remove and insert in any frequency so I suppose it is OK.

Regarding the SIM, the manual specifically states it requires a nano-sim, not micro-sim, so I don't see how this can be called a "screw-up" when it functions exactly as specified.

I just took the all-in-one SIM and punched out the smallest option, the nano-sim (not micro-sim), and put that into the included tray and slid the tray in.
Took a few seconds to play with it to get it in the tray, but it was no problem.

Now if I could only find a case for it...

I see Amazon has cases for the G Pad X 8.3, but I can't tell if they fit this device. Anyone had any luck with cases? In particular, with a keyboard.

kevpriest said:   I see Amazon has cases for the G Pad X 8.3, but I can't tell if they fit this device. Anyone had any luck with cases? In particular, with a keyboard.

The F PAd is much closer to the X 8.0 size:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-G-Pad-X-8.3,LG-G-Pad-F-8.0,LG-G-Pad-X-8.0/phones/9429,9414,10098

Case, screen protector and stylus for $8.99@eBay by U.S seller.

Is this deal dead?  Looks like the free deal is over and u only get 130 bucks off now.

thanks

z

Anyone remember the code that we used? Just got the email to check the status of the rebate but forgot the code I used for the Father's Day promo.

Nevermind.... You have to go into the tab entitled promotion status. (No coffee yet..... )

zacksmith said:   Is this deal dead?  Looks like the free deal is over and u only get 130 bucks off now.

thanks

z

Yes it is dead and you are correct about the current rebate.  

Antilamr said:   First ImpressionMuch improved over last years G Pad F. When setting up the tablet I was able to transfer all my apps & settings from my LG V10. Only took a couple of minutes to complete.
This saved me a good hour or more of having to down load and install everything I have on my phone. I have HBO Go, MAX, Netflix etc... Screen quality on videos is improved (not that the F pad was bad). Sound is improved also. I use KODI and it functions much faster.
On the old tablet it was slower to load and was very slow to exit. Now it exits the app instantly. Not having any lag when switching apps now. The increased ram & faster processor have improved the user experience greatly. The only gripe I have so far is the old tablet had a built in stylus (like the Samsung Note), this one does not.

thats not true. kodi has never exited "instantly" on any android tablets or phones. kodi on this X8.0 is slower than kodi running on LG G2 phone. even spmc is running slower on this X8.0. it took more than 5 seconds to completely exit out. i am surprised to find out this X8.0 tablet is slower than most of my old android devices despite the fact that it has better/newer specs.

T-Mobile started to deny most rebates starting today. people already got only 1 approved and the rest are denied (for multiple purchases). some got denied for being "duplicated phone #". some got "ignored line" reasons. 
they did not give $10 off for existing data customers as promised. so they still charged them for $20 a month per line. u will have to call in to get it waived.

what a mess.

Skipping 8 Messages...
ForSpud said:   Got my 3 rebates on 1 card last week, got all 3 tablets unlocked using Twitter DM and escalating issue to trouble ticket, got the 3 lines cancelled yesterday, and using the same prepaid SIM cards that came with the tablets got all 3 onto the 200mb FDFL prepaid promotional account. 

I am done....and with B Frugal cash I made money on the deal.

Got all my rebates back and cancelled lines from T-Mobile. Question for ForSpud: how to unlock this tablet? Any links to the instruction? or can you post instruction steps? Thanks,

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017