This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals

Staples | Buy $300 in MasterCard® Gift Cards Get a $15 Staples Gift Card  (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Staples | Buy $300 in MasterCard® Gift Cards Get a $15 Staples Gift Card  (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

http://weeklyad.staples.com/StaplesSD/WeeklyAd?storeid=2278126#!/store/2278126/promotion/Staples-160717 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I do use "school supplies" at home. There is some hope the SPLS GC comes in time for some back to school stuff.

This 2... (more)

MsMorrisine (Jul. 23, 2016 @ 10:29p) |

When is the $300+ in Visa GC going to come up next?

hpmax (Jul. 23, 2016 @ 10:54p) |

If you really want to specifically know ask a manager in a store you go to. They have the upcoming promotions. Not sure ... (more)

mathfaster (Jul. 24, 2016 @ 12:23a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

they are getting stingy, it was a $20 card in the past. $15 barely covers the two activation fees, about a $2mm for most unless you have the INK card for significant cash back.

Don't buy these! U.S. Bank prepaid cards are notoriously insecure with tons of CFPB complaints about fraudulent purchases shortly after purchase. I'm disappointed that Staples continues to carry them at all.

(The Visa prepaid debit cards sold at Staples are okay)

I buy these when I am working on meeting a spending threshold for a credit card promotion.

I might buy this only because I still have the $300 AM3X GC from a month ago and can recycle that for a MC. The insecure US Bank card does still make me pause.

fwuser12 said:   I might buy this only because I still have the $300 AM3X GC from a month ago and can recycle that for a MC. The insecure US Bank card does still make me pause.
 YMMV on that. The Staples around me usually will not let me use a gift card to buy a gift card.

MrVietnam said:   
fwuser12 said:   I might buy this only because I still have the $300 AM3X GC from a month ago and can recycle that for a MC. The insecure US Bank card does still make me pause.
 YMMV on that. The Staples around me usually will not let me use a gift card to buy a gift card.

A prepaid AMEX/MC/VISA is not really a gift card, unlike a store gift card. If your store is preventing purchases this way, I'd escalate.  

This doesn't seem worth the trouble to make a few $$$.

ablang said:   This doesn't seem worth the trouble to make a few $.
Fixed it for you.

like to second the major fraud concerns on this item.  I personally had $400 stolen.  Opened a case which takes 45 DAYS MINIMUM to investigate (not a typo).  Meanwhile they make you fax info in to fax machines that magically never receive faxes to prove ownership.  All told my cases took 70 days to resolve and tons of headaches.  Avoid this item unless you can liquidate immediately, meaning within an hour.  I had these cards for 4 days and they were drained.

jess888 said:   I buy these when I am working on meeting a spending threshold for a credit card promotion.
  What do you do to liquidate them? Money orders?

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD ALERT

I'm still waiting on the fraud settlement from MasterCard from the last card I got from Staples.  Really not worth the PIA for $15 GC.

gd78 said:   
jess888 said:   I buy these when I am working on meeting a spending threshold for a credit card promotion.

Pay monthly health insurance premiums.  UHC lets me pay by card... which is a nice change from BCBS...

limerickey said:   gd78 said:   

Pay monthly health insurance premiums.  UHC lets me pay by card... which is a nice change from BCBS...

I used to pay my auto insurance (Geico) with my rebate cards but then they suspended my online account for too many 1-time use cards, to them it looked like I was "testing" the cards which is what fraudsters do. They refused to unlock my account for 6 months. Ironically you can still pay online with no login by using Geico Express and still commit the "fraud" I was doing, lol.

I now only pay Comcast and Sprint with the rebate cards, their too dumb to figure out what's fraud and what's not (or is it the other way around? Is Geico to dumb to figure out that it's not fraud).

Since this is a prepaid card and not rebate card it will likely not trigger any fraud flags since it would be higher denomination but something to keep in mind when trying to unload multiple cards.

UHC expects and deals with the difference between gift cards and credit cards. I even fill in the Name on Card blank with "Gift Card Recipient"... and they have no problems with it.

gd78 said:   

Anything you would normally purchase with a cc....

Four of the six $200 MC GC's that I bought earlier this year on this deal were drained within a few days, requiring multiple phone calls and faxes for each one.

Goferebater said:   Four of the six $200 MC GC's that I bought earlier this year on this deal were drained within a few days, requiring multiple phone calls and faxes for each one.
I guess lesson learned is if you do the Mastercard deals you need to use them immediately after purchase or risk someone else doing it for you. I usually drain mine by paying utility bills in advance (Internet bill and/or my local trash/water bill). My electric and gas bills don't accept credit card payments.

MrVietnam said:   
Goferebater said:   Four of the six $200 MC GC's that I bought earlier this year on this deal were drained within a few days, requiring multiple phone calls and faxes for each one.
I guess lesson learned is if you do the Mastercard deals you need to use them immediately after purchase or risk someone else doing it for you.

And that is why I so miss Amazon Payments as you could drain them as soon as you bought them. I won't buy the MC anymore. Besides I have enough rebate cards to liquidate as it is. Another pita.

yoregano said:   
MrVietnam said:   
 YMMV on that. The Staples around me usually will not let me use a gift card to buy a gift card.

A prepaid AMEX/MC/VISA is not really a gift card, unlike a store gift card. If your store is preventing purchases this way, I'd escalate.  

I like your viewpoint on this. 

Even the cards say "pre-paid" on the back. (Although the MC also say GC in large type on the front)

However, i have yet to have a mgr approve use of a GC to buy these, though.  So, mgr approval is a YMMV, too.  The registers still take GC to buy these though.(YMMV on the CSRs, tho)  I just did it today and the SER is recognized and processing.

jess888 said:   
gd78 said:   

Then why not just use your credit card? A lot of trouble and risk of fraud for a few bucks.

Go back in the quotes and you have the answer.

You need $xxxx to qualify in ZZ days. Buy some GC. They add up fast. Once the dead line is gone, start using the GC.

gd78 said:   
jess888 said:   
gd78 said:   

Then why not just use your credit card? A lot of trouble and risk of fraud for a few bucks.

The question was about using prepaid cards in general, not whether or not this particular deal is good. The value of this one has already been covered pretty well. There are certainly other prepaid card deals that are worth the "trouble" and not full of much risk.

glad I looked again before buying. the reward is a Staples gift card not a Visa gift card... only usable at Staples!

brusbrother said:   glad I looked again before buying. the reward is a Staples gift card not a Visa gift card... only usable at Staples
  That is how it has been for MC/AM3X deals. Only Visa GC deal gets you a Visa rebate card.

This in-store MC deal ended tonight. Any predictions when a similar Visa or Amex GC deal will come along?

Do any office-supply stores do similar online deals?

Thank you.

austex said:   This in-store MC deal ended tonight. Any predictions when a similar Visa or Amex GC deal will come along?

Do any office-supply stores do similar online deals?

Thank you.

Hard to say exactly, but Staples generally has a deal like this about once every three or four weeks.

I do use "school supplies" at home. There is some hope the SPLS GC comes in time for some back to school stuff.

This 25% rewards, if it does turn the hammermill paper into a MM, will likely produce a future MM. $20 isn't a lot to loan SPLS at these interest rates.

When is the $300+ in Visa GC going to come up next?

hpmax said:   When is the $300+ in Visa GC going to come up next?
  If you really want to specifically know ask a manager in a store you go to. They have the upcoming promotions. Not sure how far into the future they can look but it goes out at least a month IIRC. Otherwise anything posted here is pure speculation.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017