Dell Precision M4700 Laptops - 60% Off - AC FS @ Dell Refurbished Computers

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

M4700
Disclaimer
Dell Refurbished Computers is offering 60% Off on Precision M4700 Laptops and free ground shipping with coupon code "FATWALLET60".

Deal Notes: Valid 7/15/2016, 6:00 AM CST to 7/18/2016, 11:59 PM CST

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Xenocrate,

Thanks for posting. I am good with Technology, but not the greatest. Could you kindly validate my thoughts with respect to specs for a final price $ 450 laptop (see below):

- It will easily serve my basic purspose: using Photoshop, Streaming videos, using tools like Visio for the next 2 to 3 years.

- This is not top of the line, but with the kind of specs offered, it is close to the best deal for my purpose.

- Not buying an extended warranty and to rely on the 100-day warranty is a risk I take for a not too expensive laptop.

- Being a 'workstation' Vs a 'Laptop', it has better quality hardware, so it compensates for not buying a 'NEW' $ 700 laptop which has flimsy hardware and a only a little added features.

I appreciate your time and effort
nternal SKU ID 6914894
Cosmetic Grade Grade B
Model Dell Precision M4700
Operating System 64-bit Windows 7 Pro
Software Microsoft Office Starter
Color Dark Gray
Screen 15.6" FHD WLED (1920 x 1080)
Webcam Not Included
Processor 1x Core i7 Quad (i7-3740QM) 2.70 GHz
Memory 8 GB (2x 4GB)
Hard Drive 320 GB (1x 320GB)
Optical Drive DVD
Video(Video cables and adapters not included) AMD FirePro M4000 (1024 MB)
LAN 10/100/1000
Wireless LAN Wireless 802.11 N
Keyboard Type Regular Keyboard
Ports VGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, RJ-45, 3x USB 2.0, Audio, E/Port Connection

FatRookie said:   Xenocrate,

Thanks for posting. I am good with Technology, but not the greatest. Could you kindly validate my thoughts with respect to specs for a final price $ 450 laptop (see below):
[Quote used to alert member..quote shortened to save space]

I think you have it about right.

The one thing I would say is, if you do not have the $450 to shell out again for a replacement if this unit dies after the 100 day warranty and you will be left without a critical device for your work or other projects then it may be worthwhile to buy the warranty.

However if you have a workable backup then going without a warranty sounds like an acceptable risk for you as you stated. Think of it this way as well, you would be paying an extra 11% for an additional 9 month warranty. Now reassess the cost benefit analysis. 

Thank you very much!! Much appreciated.

Beware, the "extended warranty" from http://dellrefurbished.com/ is parts-only. When we had an issue six months after purchase, they offered to send us a motherboard. Period. Nobody comes and does it, good luck buddy. Sure enough, there it was in the fine print. Wife was not happy.

Wow, the prices aren't too bad, but the model is almost 4 years old. $674 delivered for FHD/16GB/500GB/K2000M is pretty good. I got my HP specified similarly for $1140 two years ago.

I have used a similar M4700 for about 3.5 years, and it works great for how I use it, which means it sits on a dock and only moves a couple times a year when I travel for work. New mine was about $2500. Being a workstation replacement, this thing is big, heavy, has a giant power brick, and has horrible battery life. I detest lugging this thing through the airport.

That said, when it was time to replace it, new machines didn't seem like much of an upgrade, so I kept the old machine and put a 1TB SSD in it, and I plan to use it for the foreseeable future. I routinely run 2-3 virtual machines on this with no issue.

This is great. Thank you guys.

WMGuy, pardon my ignorance, - you use the docking station to connect have your laptop project on larger screens and then you use a regular keyboard to work? (That's how my office setup is for the Lenovo 14" I have).
Can you please share model number for the docking station and also for screens, is 1980x1280 recommended or lesser works?

It is a powerful laptop still in 2016 but it uses much more power than the current generation model and much heavier. For a 3 years old laptop, I don't think the resale value should be 40% of its original price.

FatRookie said:   This is great. Thank you guys.

WMGuy, pardon my ignorance, - you use the docking station to connect have your laptop project on larger screens and then you use a regular keyboard to work? (That's how my office setup is for the Lenovo 14" I have).
Can you please share model number for the docking station and also for screens, is 1980x1280 recommended or lesser works?

It's a Dell E-Dock. Just google M4700 dock, they are easy to find used. I connect two 1920x1080 monitors to the dock with DVI. When I do this you cannot also use the laptop screen. Supposedly you can if you use DisplayPort. Also supposedly this graphics card can support 4K over DisplayPort, but I have never tried it and am not sure whether I believe it.

Yep, our M4700 supports 4k over the E-Dock's DisplayPort port.

I was unable to decide whether to get that deal from last time. The reason is I wanted to go with what wmguy suggested - connecting an external monitor. My question is for my son's gaming purpose, would I be able to swap a Nvidia Quadro K2000M (2048 MB) graphics card with a newer one, say GTX 970 and have everything else still work fine on the machine? I apologize for the repeat questions, but I am not able to make up my mind with trying to serve everyone in the family!

PS: My son plays Minecraft and Wizard 101 games online and talks about getting high frames per second.

You won't be able to just swap in a newer video card. It's pretty much as-is aside from memory and hard drive upgrades. Should work fine for Minecraft though. I'm not familiar with Wizard 101 games.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017