• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History

ScanGauge 2:
Monitor transmission temperatures, trip data and fuel economy information
Add additional vehicle specific digital gauges
Track your vehicle's performance over short periods of time, distance and acceleration
Diagnose and trouble-shoot problems by providing real-time data about your vehicle's performance
Displays captured trouble codes and conditions when problems occur
Make your own repairs and turn off warning lamps just like the Pros
Installs in minutes without tools
Does not require batteries or an external power source
Detachable 6' cord

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What's the advantage versus getting one of these and using an app like Torque?

OneOfTheLurkers said:   What's the advantage versus getting one of https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=elm+obd+adapter&sprefix=ELM+OBD+%2Caps%2C175 and using an app like Torque?
I use one of these with my older Focus as a real-time fuel mileage tracker and digital speedometer.  Helps me keep my commute mileage above 30mpg.  It lives in the car, no need to remove it, no app to find & update, no need to pair with another device.  Easy to move from car to car for checking codes, so it serves double-duty for me. 
If you have a newer car you already have data displays built in so if code reading is all you need, I would look elsewhere for a more suitable option if one can be found for a lower price.
Since I have owned mine (bought in 2007) I have had to return it twice for repair.  Once it just failed, other time was an illumination issue.  Not real happy about that.  But both times it was promptly repaired at no cost.

I have an older version of this and I absolutely LOVE it. As an automotive enthusiast I wouldn't want to drive without it. For me it is very important to be able to view actual numbers for water temp, wheel speed, RPM, Voltage and the ability to read codes (reference code only) as soon as they appear. There are quite a few options to configure in the device so I never use them all, but they also don't get in the way.

​List of gauges.

Q: What is the advantage to this over Torque?
A: Having a dedicated viewable (glance at from your driving position) screen that you can keep plugged in 24/7 that takes zero skill to get working. The only reason to get a bluetooth obd adapter is so that you can use a computer/phone to measure stats over time, or diagnose fuel trim issues.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016