This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Inspiron3650
Disclaimer
Dell Small Business has the Dell Inspiron 3650 Desktop w/ i7-6700 Quad, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, R9 360 2GB, Win 7  on sale for $949.00 - $370 coupon code "DELLDT579" = $579.00 with free shipping

  • Intel Core i7-6700 Quad Core 3.6GHz CPU
  • 16GB DDR3L Memory
  • 2TB (7200RPM) Hard Drive
  • AMD Radeon R9 360 2GB GDDR5
  • 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI, 1x VGA
  • DVD-RW
  • 802.11bgn WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0
  • Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit (Includes Win 10 Pro License)


The next lowest price is $769.55 from Amazon.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
1)  I own a Dell 9150, and we had one before that. Neither has an upgradeable PSU. All you have to do is Google the prob... (more)

canoeguy1 (Aug. 05, 2016 @ 1:22p) |

Deal is live again right now.

john99 (Aug. 11, 2016 @ 11:15p) |

Amazing! The code and the deal have come back from the dead!
Thanks OP!

stardent (Aug. 19, 2016 @ 9:13p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wow this is actually a decent PC right out of the box. After several years of less-than standard-specs on PCs in this price point it is gratifying to see better stuff (higher RAM, 7200RPM drive, decent GPU, etc). If I needed a new machine, I would be all over this. Nice post!

Dang...after thinking about it, I might have to jump on this after all.  Stupid FW....

Hey, Xenocrates! What's the build code for this? I cannot find anything remotely like it configuring the existing machines you are linking to.


Next!
Disclaimer
frett said:   Hey, Xenocrates! What's the build code for this? I cannot find anything remotely like it configuring the existing machines you are linking to.
  Hey hey!

Gotta click "Next" to see it

The code is...
CAI3650W7PB223

Farfisa850 said:   
frett said:   Hey, Xenocrates! What's the build code for this? I cannot find anything remotely like it configuring the existing machines you are linking to.
  Hey hey!

Gotta click "Next" to see it

The code is...
CAI3650W7PB223

  LOL I didn't even see that.  Thanks!

does this need to be setup next to modem/router via cable? can it be hooked up using wifi?

perini1975 said:   does this need to be setup next to modem/router via cable? can it be hooked up using wifi?
  Its got a a wifi card so its good to go! You would also be able to connect it with an internet cable if you wanted.

whats the best way to set this up then? get a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse, is that it?

perini1975 said:   whats the best way to set this up then? get a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse, is that it?
 It comes with a basic mouse and keyboard so just add screen!

Don't forget 10% ebates cashback at Dell Small Business and Dell Consumer. Is this small business or consumer site?

degaffman said:   Don't forget 10% ebates cashback at Dell Small Business and Dell Consumer. Is this small business or consumer site?
  Good reminder!  (I hate we had to switch to ebates--would have been nice to just have it be behind the scenes)  And it's the Business site.

This only works for business

frett said:   Wow this is actually a decent PC right out of the box. After several years of less-than standard-specs on PCs in this price point it is gratifying to see better stuff (higher RAM, 7200RPM drive, decent GPU, etc). If I needed a new machine, I would be all over this. Nice post!

Dang...after thinking about it, I might have to jump on this after all.  Stupid FW....

  Is it really a decent PC for YOUR application?

It IS a good PC for business. For home use, not so much.
Why?
1) Like all Dell 's, the power supply is the cheapest they could find, and the power connections to the motherboard are usually proprietary for Dell. Result: You can't add a decent gaming card since you can't upgrade the PSU.
2) No SSD. Expect to pay another $150 for that
3) The i7 is complete overkill for any home use apps. You will never use that power, but you're paying through the nose for it.

Unless you're running some very non-standard apps at home, this PC is a waste of money. They put the money in all the places you don't need it (i7), and left out critical pieces.

You can get a used PC+ decent SSD on eBay for $250 or so that will far outperform this Dell machine for home use. AND it will be upgradeable for gaming.

canoeguy1 said:   
frett said:   Wow this is actually a decent PC right out of the box. After several years of less-than standard-specs on PCs in this price point it is gratifying to see better stuff (higher RAM, 7200RPM drive, decent GPU, etc). If I needed a new machine, I would be all over this. Nice post!

Dang...after thinking about it, I might have to jump on this after all.  Stupid FW....

  Is it really a decent PC for YOUR application?

It IS a good PC for business. For home use, not so much.
Why?
1) Like all Dell 's, the power supply is the cheapest they could find, and the power connections to the motherboard are usually proprietary for Dell. Result: You can't add a decent gaming card since you can't upgrade the PSU.
2) No SSD. Expect to pay another $150 for that
3) The i7 is complete overkill for any home use apps. You will never use that power, but you're paying through the nose for it.

Unless you're running some very non-standard apps at home, this PC is a waste of money. They put the money in all the places you don't need it (i7), and left out critical pieces.

You can get a used PC+ decent SSD on eBay for $250 or so that will far outperform this Dell machine for home use. AND it will be upgradeable for gaming.

  I also think this is not a good deal but for a different reason.  I use I7 PCs for a VMware lab to do application testing.  The lab requires a lot of ram and cpu horsepower.
  The 3650 can only be upgraded to maximum 16GB ram, that may be a lot for home use but just not quite enough for the applications I run.
  Besides, 579 is not really cheap for an I7 desktop....I just bought and XPS 8900 with I7 from Dell outlet for 519....

perini1975 said:   whats the best way to set this up then? get a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse, is that it?
  I would have to say, if you have to ask the two questions you posted, I would highly recommend a different machine. You can get a basic computer and have an SSD hard drive installed for much cheaper. Although getting a cheap laptop is probably a wiser move.  For just web browsing and the basics, I more tailored, cheaper computer might be better....

Sorry, but the questions you have asked are like very basic in this realm of computers.

This is only for small business, Great deal though.

Folks for a user who's doing some photo work and definitely video editing and other than that this is a word pro, net surfing unit, is this a good buy? I have quite a bit of video that's 60fps that I'd like to deal with and eventually hook up an external BD-R to this for archiving purposes. I'd also like to add an SSD to this to boot windows.

If not, which direction would you go for those purposes?  fyi I'm not about to build my own.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Since it comes with Win 7 installed and a Win 10 license, can you do a clean install of Win 10 with what they give you?

It's very helpful for my work!

Coupon expired.

degaffman said:   Don't forget 10% ebates cashback at Dell Small Business and Dell Consumer. Is this small business or consumer site?
  Expected $57.90 cashback on $579, but for some weird reason they deducted the free shipping value of $23 for $556 total resulting in a $55.60 cashback.

doesn't worked for me!

deepsand said:   Folks for a user who's doing some photo work and definitely video editing and other than that this is a word pro, net surfing unit, is this a good buy? I have quite a bit of video that's 60fps that I'd like to deal with and eventually hook up an external BD-R to this for archiving purposes. I'd also like to add an SSD to this to boot windows.

If not, which direction would you go for those purposes?  fyi I'm not about to build my own.

Any advice is much appreciated!

  Are you willing to buy used?
I just got an i5 3rd gen Acer  desktop from eBay for $128 (incl shipping), with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD. That type of system is more than good enough for your purposes. Unlike Dell 's, the PSU is also replaceable so you can put in a higher-end video card if you're doing intensive video work.

That saves you literally 80% over this Dell 'deal', and will work just as well. The key is to add an SSD to whatever machine you buy, and make sure that the machine comes with Windows 10 (since you would have to pay to upgrade it when Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 in a few years).

BTW: Building your own is not only unnecessary, but more expensive. It's really only for high-end gamers who tweak their machines with overclocking, cooling, double video cards and high-end PSU's etc. There is a flood of used, brand-name desktops for sale that will fulfill your needs for dirt cheap. It's no longer case that desktops are obsolete in 3 years. A 10 year old desktop will still surf the net just fine, and run MS Office without a hitch.

canoeguy1 said:   
 

 The coupon for this deal has apparently expired, but I am going to address some of the things (mostly FUD) you brought up for anyone who still might want some more information for a future purchase.

1) Like all Dell's, the power supply is the cheapest they could find, and the power connections to the motherboard are usually proprietary for Dell. Result: You can't add a decent gaming card since you can't upgrade the PSU.   I'm not sure how long it has been since you have owned a Dell, but over the past 15 years, I have upgraded 40-50 Dells of all different sizes and configurations with new power supplies and video cards.  Some of the smaller form factors are tougher, but the power connections are NOT proprietary. I have saved friends, families, and my office $$$$ by doing this.

2) No SSD. Expect to pay another $150 for that  Not sure where you are buying your SSDs but Fat Wallet has deals all the time for sub-$100 SSDs. Like HERE from a couple days ago.  If you want a small one for the OS, they're easily found for way less than that.

3) The i7 is complete overkill for any home use apps. You will never use that power, but you're paying through the nose for it. What is your definition of home use apps? Anyone who rips movies, streams video, edits photos/videos, plays video games, works with lots of open windows, or a myriad of other activities can benefit from multiple cores and high speed CPUs (if the program is written to take advantage of it). Is it overkill for someone who just reads email and does light web browsing? yes  On the other hand, my mother-in-law is a 75 y.o. grandmother who plays (casually now) a level 90 night elf on WoW.  She also does a ton of genealogy and always has multiple browser windows, photos, maps, etc. open and she loves upgrading her PC when she can because any increase in speed is helpful to her. Everyone is different.

You can get a used PC+ decent SSD on eBay for $250 or so that will far outperform this Dell machine for home use. AND it will be upgradeable for gaming. Well of course you can.  That's the point of eBay--and thrift stores, and used car dealers, and yard sales.  But look for a PC spec'd out like this and you'll pay double for it on eBay--without support, including driver upgrades.

The point of the OP is that this is a great deal on the PC described.  Whether you are going to benefit from its features or not is a completely separate issue and a really individual one. What you're doing is threadcrapping. :/



 

canoeguy1 said:   
deepsand said:   Folks for a user who's doing some photo work and definitely video editing and other than that this is a word pro, net surfing unit, is this a good buy? I have quite a bit of video that's 60fps that I'd like to deal with and eventually hook up an external BD-R to this for archiving purposes. I'd also like to add an SSD to this to boot windows.

If not, which direction would you go for those purposes?  fyi I'm not about to build my own.

Any advice is much appreciated!

  Are you willing to buy used?
I just got an i5 3rd gen Acer  desktop from eBay for $128 (incl shipping), with 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD. That type of system is more than good enough for your purposes. Unlike Dell 's, the PSU is also replaceable so you can put in a higher-end video card if you're doing intensive video work.

That saves you literally 80% over this Dell 'deal', and will work just as well. The key is to add an SSD to whatever machine you buy, and make sure that the machine comes with Windows 10 (since you would have to pay to upgrade it when Microsoft stops supporting Win 7 in a few years).

BTW: Building your own is not only unnecessary, but more expensive. It's really only for high-end gamers who tweak their machines with overclocking, cooling, double video cards and high-end PSU's etc. There is a flood of used, brand-name desktops for sale that will fulfill your needs for dirt cheap. It's no longer case that desktops are obsolete in 3 years. A 10 year old desktop will still surf the net just fine, and run MS Office without a hitch.

  Dude, you are obviously not doing any video editing.  The specs you're quoting are minimal at best for modern video editing. As I said before, MOST Dells have replaceable PSUs these days. In fact, a bigger issue might be what kind of support the mainboard has for an upgraded GPU. But to say your machine "will work just as well" is a huge exaggeration.  In addition, you mention deepsand will have to pay to upgrade to Win 10 if he/she gets a Win7 machine now, and that is not necessarily true.  At least with the OPs deal, the Win7 license INCLUDES one for Win10.  Most OEM machines you can buy today with Win7 have a free upgrade to Win10 whenever you choose to do it.

I agree with you that an SSD is essential for video work.  You are also correct that building your own PC is rarely cost effective except for specialized high-end gaming (or video) rigs.

I am sure you are trying to help.  However, video editing can be crazy slow and tedious without a fast, multi-threaded CPU, plenty of RAM, solid GPU, and fast storage.  And what is an average user supposed to do for support when they buy a used system off eBay?  Yikes!

As I said before, for the money this (now expired) deal was a steal.  

frett said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
 

 The coupon for this deal has apparently expired, but I am going to address some of the things (mostly FUD) you brought up for anyone who still might want some more information for a future purchase.

1) Like all Dell 's, the power supply is the cheapest they could find, and the power connections to the motherboard are usually proprietary for Dell. Result: You can't add a decent gaming card since you can't upgrade the PSU.   I'm not sure how long it has been since you have owned a Dell, but over the past 15 years, I have upgraded 40-50 Dells of all different sizes and configurations with new power supplies and video cards.  Some of the smaller form factors are tougher, but the power connections are NOT proprietary. I have saved friends, families, and my office $$$$ by doing this.

2) No SSD. Expect to pay another $150 for that  Not sure where you are buying your SSDs but Fat Wallet has deals all the time for sub-$100 SSDs. Like HERE from a couple days ago.  If you want a small one for the OS, they're easily found for way less than that.

3) The i7 is complete overkill for any home use apps. You will never use that power, but you're paying through the nose for it. What is your definition of home use apps? Anyone who rips movies, streams video, edits photos/videos, plays video games, works with lots of open windows, or a myriad of other activities can benefit from multiple cores and high speed CPUs (if the program is written to take advantage of it). Is it overkill for someone who just reads email and does light web browsing? yes  On the other hand, my mother-in-law is a 75 y.o. grandmother who plays (casually now) a level 90 night elf on WoW.  She also does a ton of genealogy and always has multiple browser windows, photos, maps, etc. open and she loves upgrading her PC when she can because any increase in speed is helpful to her. Everyone is different.

You can get a used PC+ decent SSD on eBay for $250 or so that will far outperform this Dell machine for home use. AND it will be upgradeable for gaming. Well of course you can.  That's the point of eBay --and thrift stores, and used car dealers, and yard sales.  But look for a PC spec'd out like this and you'll pay double for it on eBay --without support, including driver upgrades.

The point of the OP is that this is a great deal on the PC described.  Whether you are going to benefit from its features or not is a completely separate issue and a really individual one. What you're doing is threadcrapping. :/



 

  Nice analysis. While I agree with your points and like Dell Outlet PCs.  This particular one has a number of limitations. In addition to 16GB ram limit it has also a weak 240 watt Power Supply Unit.
  Since 2009 I've bought desktop PCs exclusively from Dell Outlet and only buy models in the XPS line.  Overall the XPS series have less compromises and have served me well.  I've bought 4 of them and already sold 2 of them away after 5 years.
  Although availability is limited Dell outlet pcs come with the same warranty as new.

Got one of these on the way...will probably put in an SSD. Is there room to add the SSD while keeping the 2TB HDD for storage? What would be the ideal size SSD to use in this manner?

frett said:   
canoeguy1 said:   
 

 The coupon for this deal has apparently expired, but I am going to address some of the things (mostly FUD) you brought up for anyone who still might want some more information for a future purchase.

1) Like all Dell 's, the power supply is the cheapest they could find, and the power connections to the motherboard are usually proprietary for Dell. Result: You can't add a decent gaming card since you can't upgrade the PSU.   I'm not sure how long it has been since you have owned a Dell, but over the past 15 years, I have upgraded 40-50 Dells of all different sizes and configurations with new power supplies and video cards.  Some of the smaller form factors are tougher, but the power connections are NOT proprietary. I have saved friends, families, and my office $$$$ by doing this.

2) No SSD. Expect to pay another $150 for that  Not sure where you are buying your SSDs but Fat Wallet has deals all the time for sub-$100 SSDs. Like HERE from a couple days ago.  If you want a small one for the OS, they're easily found for way less than that.

3) The i7 is complete overkill for any home use apps. You will never use that power, but you're paying through the nose for it. What is your definition of home use apps? Anyone who rips movies, streams video, edits photos/videos, plays video games, works with lots of open windows, or a myriad of other activities can benefit from multiple cores and high speed CPUs (if the program is written to take advantage of it). Is it overkill for someone who just reads email and does light web browsing? yes  On the other hand, my mother-in-law is a 75 y.o. grandmother who plays (casually now) a level 90 night elf on WoW.  She also does a ton of genealogy and always has multiple browser windows, photos, maps, etc. open and she loves upgrading her PC when she can because any increase in speed is helpful to her. Everyone is different.

You can get a used PC+ decent SSD on eBay for $250 or so that will far outperform this Dell machine for home use. AND it will be upgradeable for gaming. Well of course you can.  That's the point of eBay --and thrift stores, and used car dealers, and yard sales.  But look for a PC spec'd out like this and you'll pay double for it on eBay --without support, including driver upgrades.

The point of the OP is that this is a great deal on the PC described.  Whether you are going to benefit from its features or not is a completely separate issue and a really individual one. What you're doing is threadcrapping. :/



 

1)  I own a Dell 9150, and we had one before that. Neither has an upgradeable PSU. All you have to do is Google the problem, instead of yelling in bold letters.

2) Of course you can get an SSD below $100. But it's either no-name of unknown quality or it has severe size limitations, or has known bugs (like the one you linked to). Either way, a $50 savings doesn't change the argument one bit, since neither system has an SSD included.

3) You have no idea about CPU's, if you believe that only an i7 has mulitple cores and 'high speed'. Read up on the differences between an i5 and an i7 before yelling so much B.S. i5's have multiple cores as well. Almost no home-use program needs hyper-threading though. That's why an i5 is more than adequate. Even an i3 is fine. Spend the extra money on a decent GPU instead!

4) The whole point is that you DON'T want a PC "spec'd out like this". They are not good specs for the price you pay, if you're using it for home use. You can get a good used PC with FAR BETTER specs in the areas that count, for far less money.

BTW: Who needs to pay extra for support for "driver upgrades"??? Your post makes no sense for a modern PC.

Deal is live again right now.

Amazing! The code and the deal have come back from the dead!
Thanks OP!



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017