Apple iPad Air 2 w/ Retina Display from $299.99 at target.com
Disclaimer

Posted with ToGo

Apple iPad Air 2 w/ Retina Display
from $299.99
http://www.target.com/s/ipad+air+2

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
By "previous gen" I assume respdoc is talking about the iPad Pro.  While not part of the iPad Air range, I guess one cou... (more)

DerProfi (Aug. 11, 2016 @ 2:31p) |

Well...then you would be incorrect, since the iPad Pro 9.7'' is the successor to the iPad Air 2.  There is no talk or di... (more)

respdoc (Aug. 11, 2016 @ 2:54p) |

I think they could have made the notches a bit deeper to fix. The back part of the case also sticks out a bit too much s... (more)

wallsdanny (Aug. 11, 2016 @ 3:57p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

16 GB... Meh

javajoejava said:   16 GB... Meh
  Do you need more than 16GB for a tablet like this?  I mean you're not really taking photos with it, are you?  What do you use the storage for?  I never see anyone using iPads for anything "serious"--mostly surfing and games.  I'm not a tablet user, so forgive my ignorance.

frett said:   
  Do you need more than 16GB for a tablet like this?  I mean you're not really taking photos with it, are you?  What do you use the storage for?  I never see anyone using iPads for anything "serious"--mostly surfing and games.  I'm not a tablet user, so forgive my ignorance.

The iOS takes up some of it, and many apps push 1 GB these days.  The fact that these are still non expandable and that 16 GB is even a thing is a joke considering 64 GB of flash memory is 20 bucks.

frett  said:   Do you need more than 16GB for a tablet like this? 

As with all of these discussions....highly YMMV.  If you are using it as many people use tablets these days (just occasional uses since they already have a smartphone and laptop and/or desktop...maybe you do not need more than 16 GB internal storage.

With that said...it has been $299 many times now at numerous places.  This is also now the previous gen model...so it's not going increasing in value anytime soon.  $299 isn't a hot deal or "Best Deal" nowadays but basically "Fatwallet current MSRP" for this model. 

I'll never buy a 16GB one again. You can't update the OS on them without hooking it up to a computer which is extremely annoying. As mentioned in the other post the OS uses a lot of that 16GB and having a few apps installed will take up the rest very quickly. Pretty much don't bother with 16GB ipads would be my advice and I don't keep any movies/music etc locally on the device.

The 16GB one works just fine for surfing and has an amazing screen for video playbacks, it's a fine deal. Use the red card for extra $ off.

What's the red card?

tomatthe said:   I'll never buy a 16GB one again. You can't update the OS on them without hooking it up to a computer which is extremely annoying. As mentioned in the other post the OS uses a lot of that 16GB and having a few apps installed will take up the rest very quickly. Pretty much don't bother with 16GB ipads would be my advice and I don't keep any movies/music etc locally on the device.
iOS 9 greatly reduced the size of the OS, it's 1.3GB vs iOS 8 at 4.6 GB.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2015/06/09/app-thinning-in-ios-9-mig...

skchin said:   What's the red card?
  Target's own credit or debit card. You can sign up for one at the register. 5% off your purchases at Target. Free shipping wyb online and use your Red Card. PIN enabled unlike all the other chipped cards. Not surprising give the data breach they had a few years ago.

tomatthe said:   I'll never buy a 16GB one again. You can't update the OS on them without hooking it up to a computer which is extremely annoying. As mentioned in the other post the OS uses a lot of that 16GB and having a few apps installed will take up the rest very quickly. Pretty much don't bother with 16GB ipads would be my advice and I don't keep any movies/music etc locally on the device.
  Never heard of that - I've updated my iPad Air many times without hooking up to a computer. In fact I've never had it hooked to a computer for any reason.

My Air (1) is a 16GB and it is true that I lean to be almost all memory used with a dozen small apps. But it still works fine for what I use it for. If I were to load it with music, images, or video it would quickly run out. Whenever I do upgrade it will certainly be at least a 32GB model.

frett said:   

If you travel and frequently download movies to your tablet so you can watch them in a car/airplane AND/OR want to load more than a few apps you definitely will need more than 16GB these days.

javajoejava said:   
frett said:   

If you travel and frequently download movies to your tablet so you can watch them in a car/airplane AND/OR want to load more than a few apps you definitely will need more than 16GB these days.

Definitely this. 

I've got a 16GB one and always have to delete apps to put a new one one and probably have less than 10 installed.

I don't know if it's officially supported 'nowadays, but when I used to travel, I would put videos on an external sdcard and watch using Kodi.  (Jailbroken) 

So, yeah, if you want multiple apps/games or movies/music for traveling, you'll want a larger device.  

joemi said:   
I don't know if it's officially supported 'nowadays, but when I used to travel, I would put videos on an external sdcard and watch using Kodi.  (Jailbroken) 

Easy solution (for people that already have iPads but need more storage for movies, pics, etc) would be this:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-iXpand-SDIX30C-128G-GN6NE-Newest-...

prosperity said:   
  Never heard of that - I've updated my iPad Air many times without hooking up to a computer. In fact I've never had it hooked to a computer for any reason.

My Air (1) is a 16GB and it is true that I lean to be almost all memory used with a dozen small apps. But it still works fine for what I use it for. If I were to load it with music, images, or video it would quickly run out. Whenever I do upgrade it will certainly be at least a 32GB model.

Never really spent anytime researching, but its basically this.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203097

Just says you don't have enough free space and you must hook it up to a computer.  It's one i gave my parents which they don't really use a computer and its just a total ordeal to try and keep it updated.  It is annoying they gouge you so badly for more space, but that's apple for you.

tomatthe said:     Never really spent anytime researching, but its basically this.

Just says you don't have enough free space and you must hook it up to a computer.  It's one i gave my parents which they don't really use a computer and its just a total ordeal to try and keep it updated.  It is annoying they gouge you so badly for more space, but that's apple for you.

That has nothing to do with doing an iOS update itself.  It has to do with running out of room.  It would happen on any size iPad (if you didn't have enough space). 

respdoc said:   
tomatthe said:     Never really spent anytime researching, but its basically this.

That has nothing to do with doing an iOS update itself.  It has to do with running out of room.  It would happen on any size iPad (if you didn't have enough space). 

Certainly could happen with all of them, which one would you expect to be the quickest to run into this issue?  I was just offering feedback on my experiences with the 16GB ones.

Some of us do use an iPad for work related events. Whenever I attend seminars for required continuing education to maintain my professional license I download the free PDFs of presentations versus paying extra fees for printed material.

gatormom00 said:   Some of us do use an iPad for work related events. Whenever I attend seminars for required continuing education to maintain my professional license I download the free PDFs of presentations versus paying extra fees for printed material.
  Ok ?  So either get a larger-sized model or use a cloud-based storage (ie. iCloud, DropBox, etc) to upload/store the PDF's until those specific ones are actually needed. 

Also online CEU's are quite a bit easier in order to complete a large chunk of most licensing requirements (and can be accessed anytime)...... but that is separate topic for a different thread.  

respdoc said:   

As with all of these discussions....highly YMMV.  If you are using it as many people use tablets these days (just occasional uses since they already have a smartphone and laptop and/or desktop...maybe you do not need more than 16 GB internal storage.

With that said...it has been $299 many times now at numerous places.  This is also now the previous gen model...so it's not going increasing in value anytime soon.  $299 isn't a hot deal or "Best Deal" nowadays but basically "Fatwallet current MSRP" for this model. 

Is there an Ipad Air 3 out?  

no

thanks for the deal. Even with tax the 64gb new is the same price pre-tax as the apple refurb using redcard

Marvinomatic said:   
respdoc said:   

Is there an Ipad Air 3 out?  

By "previous gen" I assume respdoc is talking about the iPad Pro.  While not part of the iPad Air range, I guess one could kinda sorta almost consider it the "latest" Apple iPad device (I don't.)

DerProfi said:     
 I guess one could kinda sorta almost consider it the "latest" Apple iPad device (I don't.)

Well...then you would be incorrect, since the iPad Pro 9.7'' is the successor to the iPad Air 2.  There is no talk or discussion of a device called an "iPad Air 3".  There though is talk about an updated version of the iPad Pro 12.9'' coming out in the Fall/Winter timeframe.  That would also mean sometime (in the fairly distant future) the smaller version in the "Pro Line" would also get an update. 

I think they could have made the notches a bit deeper to fix. The back part of the case also sticks out a bit too much so the ipad will spin around when bumped while sitting on the table. I usually have to flip it over on the front when not in use.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017