This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black $189.99 at ebay.com
Disclaimer

Posted with ToGo

Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black
$189.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seagate-Expansion-8TB-USB-3-0-3-5-Desktop-External-Hard-Drive-STEB8000100-Black-/301967528469

Member Summary

Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Compare Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black at: ebay, Google, FatWallet, Amazon
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have to say, these larger and larger drives are both awesome and terrifying at the same time. If I were going to use one, I would actually use two; One for data, and one to back up the first drive. 8TB is a LOT of data to lose if it crashed, and Seagates have been known to crash a LOT.

IceWolfe24 said:   If I were going to use one, I would actually use two; One for data, and one to back up the first drive.

and Seagates have been known to crash a LOT.

This is what you want... https://stablebit.com/drivepool   It makes sure that every file that you save is duplicated on another drive(s).  I've used it for 3 years and it works flawlessly.

External Seagates tend to have little to no airflow in their cases.  The heat kills em.  If you use them 24/7 like I do, carefully pry the case top off.  It lowers the temp quite a bit.

My oldest Seagate is a 2TB model running 24/7 since August 2011.

I use rsync and have my router backup my 8tb drive to my spare 5&3GB drives nightly. But yes, heat kills.
Put them someplace with a fan blowing on them, and the death rate drops like a rock.

harlock001 said:   
IceWolfe24 said:   If I were going to use one, I would actually use two; One for data, and one to back up the first drive.

This is what you want... https://stablebit.com/drivepool   It makes sure that every file that you save is duplicated on another drive(s).  I've used it for 3 years and it works flawlessly.

External Seagates tend to have little to no airflow in their cases.  The heat kills em.  If you use them 24/7 like I do, carefully pry the case top off.  It lowers the temp quite a bit.

Does DrivePool use RAID modeling such as 0, 1 or 5?

IceWolfe24 said:   I have to say, these larger and larger drives are both awesome and terrifying at the same time. If I were going to use one, I would actually use two; One for data, and one to back up the first drive. 8TB is a LOT of data to lose if it crashed, and Seagates have been known to crash a LOT.
  at this price you could buy two and keep one as backup. i agree though 8tbs of data is scary to lose.

flyboynm said:   
harlock001 said:   

Does DrivePool use RAID modeling such as 0, 1 or 5?

If you are on Windows, you can use storage spaces.  It is already built into windows and works great.  It is software raid with duplicate and parity options.  I took the drives out of 3 of these for my server, and am running them in parity to get a little over 14 gb of server storage.  I'm jumping on this deal to start getting back ups/drive swaps for my server. 

So why would I want to pay $30 for DrivePool vs. using Windows storage spaces for free?
Just looking for a decent comparison, pros/cons of each please... TIA

Mulox said:   So why would I want to pay $30 for DrivePool vs. using Windows storage spaces for free?
Just looking for a decent comparison, pros/cons of each please... TIA

They don't (necessarily) work the same way. The idea of DrivePool is akin to a high-level catalog mechanism (cf. Greyhole for Linux, or SnapRAID) operating on files already stored on arbitrary # of Windows volumes. It behaves like an FS filter driver.

Storage Spaces is more like an LVM. It shuffles the block devices into stripes of different redundancy, assigns these to volume(s), and then you format a normal FS onto them before using. This means growing the set is easy, but shrinking i.e. removing the member disks isn't, thanks to arcane Storage Spaces housekeeping. Even clearing off all the files on the volume won't always free up space (comparable to the ZFS pool problem). It is a less flexible solution to storage aggregation.  

the failure rate of seagate drives make me very wary in storing 8tbs of data on them.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017