This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This amounts to $0.10 per pencil, Costco sells them for $15.39 for 96 pencils, or about $0.16 per pencil. You may need to have a Walgreens card/membership.
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dixon-ticonderoga-premium-cedar-pencils/ID=prod6038795-product

What's the deal with schools asking one pupil to bring 36 pencils each for one school year? I doubt I used so many pencils in all the five years I was in elementary school. Shouldn't they teach the kids to be thrifty? Using 36 pencils in one year creates so much more garbage, not to mention it is so wasteful.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ticonderoga pencils used to be The Shit. Maybe they still are. In for a pack.

May be they still are but many schools exclusively ask for these pencils. I have no idea why and would love to know if there are any kickbacks.

Tell me about. They should start using mechanical pencils. Staples has a pack of No.2 12/pack 0.7 mm mechanical pencils for $0.70. That's $0.0625 each and then you can buy refillable for very cheap (as low as $0.01 per lead refill @ dollar store).

Savyasachi said:   May be they still are but many schools exclusively ask for these pencils. I have no idea why and would love to know if there are any kickbacks.
Because the more cheaply made pencils are often plastic and are huge time wasters in the classroom.  They constantly break, will not sharpen well and ruin sharpeners in the process.

Please don't waste your student's or teacher's time with cheapo pencils. 

Savyasachi said:   May be they still are but many schools exclusively ask for these pencils. I have no idea why and would love to know if there are any kickbacks.
  Our son went to a school where every student was asked for a a bunch of supplies. I think the pencil requirement was 10 or 12. Parent volunteers stocked the shelves and sharpened the pencils. Every single one of them cursed the StaplesOffice Depot, etc. cheapie $1 a box pencils. Just garbage. Leads would break, mainly because they weren't always centered. Just junk. I think that is why some schools request Ticonderoga. This is a great price for a decent pencil.

When I was a kid, we just brought ourselves to school. Pencils, paper, rulers, glue, etc. was just provided. By high school I remember buying my owner pencils and pens. But bringing reams of paper, boxes of Kleenex, hand sanitizer, a dozen(!) glue sticks is a fairly recent thing. School funding issues I suppose. God knows the stores love it.

I've used lots of Staples #2 pencils and never had any problems. Also bought some Ticonderogas about five years ago-I think they are coasting on their reputation and aren't even as good as the basic Staples pencils-lead broke a lot more often in sharpening, etc. Haven't bought any pencils in quite a while as I have a huge backlog from when they were a penny a pack at Staples.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016