• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Unlimited Usenet One Day Special | The NewsgroupDirect Blog
Disclaimer

Unlimited Usenet One Day Special | The NewsgroupDirect Blog
Disclaimer
Blog 
NGD Blog said: We’re doing something that we’ve never done before. On August 16, for 24 hours, we’re offering unlimited usenet accounts for just $5.50/month. It’s the best price that we’ve been able to offer for years, and we may never be able to offer it again. The $5.50 rate will be good for the life of your account.

Usually $17.95/month

That's their cheapest ever for unlimited Usenet.

Deal page: www.newsgroupdirect.com/pricing 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
"Facebook is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertain... (more)

Rax (Aug. 17, 2016 @ 8:13a) |

Haven't used usenet for years.  whats a good and cheap/free news reader?

frugalpete (Aug. 17, 2016 @ 9:01a) |

I already posted a promo for Newsbin Pro key for free. Powerful if not a bit bloated. 

Happy with this deal, works well s... (more)

Monkeybiz (Aug. 19, 2016 @ 2:09p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

why bother using usenet almost everything is blocked

guardianx said:   why bother using usenet almost everything is blocked
  I guy I know gets everything he wants off Usenet with one US provider and one offshore provider. He will probably switch his US to this deal at this price. 

thanks, I was very loyal to astarweb 96/yr but only recently dropped them and hoping for a better deal.

and this Newsbin offer is still free, bloated but good. http://www.newsbin.com/redditor_freekey.php

For the technologically unsavvy:  What are the primary uses of Usenet?

orthros said:   For the technologically unsavvy:  What are the primary uses of Usenet?

There is a site called Google.

alt.binaries

orthros said:   For the technologically unsavvy:  What are the primary uses of Usenet?

alt.binaries

The spam is downright horrendous now if you just run wild. Creating NZB helps with results, try binsearch and load NZB in Newsbin.

Thanks for posting, I'd missed this somehow.

Anyone know if they support/allow multiple IPs, while still staying below the total connections limit? I'd love to find a provider that lets me use the same account for both my home and hosted setup.

tsk tsk, deal uRL has been blocked at SD post. weird. I thought FW was tough.

Hey I appreciate it.

Is the deal dead or am I just overlooking it?

EDIT:  Yes, I was overlooking the fact that the deal is is for the 16th.   

I've been on the $6 plan for the last 6 years, I guess it's not worth the hassle to try to resign for $.50 savings.... I pass...

SteelRing said:   I've been on the $6 plan for the last 6 years, I guess it's not worth the hassle to try to resign for $.50 savings.... I pass...
  Ditto.   I thought (way too) long about it, though.  I guess I'm in the right place.

Back in November I got the offer of a 1100Gb block for $35 (normally $85 for 1000Gb) so some of you may want to wait and see if they reload this sale.

PD: My experience with NewsgroupDirect has been excellent, much better than Astraweb that had too many incompleted posts.

Private trackers are free.

Seems like a great deal. I'll sign up for that price to kick the tires. I've been using Astrweb's unlimited DSL billed @ $39 every 3 months.

At first glance, the retention is about the same. (For those of you that do not know, retention is extremely important with newsgroup services) They both have SSL encryption.

I do see one plus: NewsgroupDirect allows 50 connections while Astraweb allows 20 connections. The more connections you have, the faster the download.

My next billing with Astraweb is on 10/4 so hopefully this service will be just as good at a considerable discount. $66 vs $156 per year, a $90 savings!

Like I said, I gotta kick the tires on the service and see for myself.

Unable to sign up - Errors out with "We can not process your request"

I assume people are still using Usenet for pirated media?

I've been using NewsgroupDirect for about 4 years now. Has never failed me. I like their block accounts, no reoccurring charges, no time limits and they offer substantial discounts thru out the year off their base prices. They also offer discounts for referrals. They make set up a breeze and answer questions without delays.

No, I am not a rep. Look at me, would you hire me? I wouldn't.

On the other hand..... are you willing to listen to the advise of an ape?

TravelerMSY said:   I assume people are still using Usenet for pirated media?
  4k sample flix, but you might regret the extra pixels with some media. 

Free trials are available to customers paying by US credit card only. Only new customers will qualify for the free trial period. Block accounts are also not eligible for the free trial. Your card will be charged for the full purchase price immediately. If you choose to cancel your membership within 7 days and before 15GB of usage then we will refund your charge in full, no questions asked. Simply contact us to request your refund.

TravelerMSY said:   I assume people are still using Usenet for pirated media?

Never assume always check. That assumption is amusing and speaks about your ignorance.

I pulled the trigger because Astra has lost it's luster...

Hence the question mark. Please enlighten me.

TravelerMSY said:   Hence the question mark. Please enlighten me.

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."— Gene Spafford, 1992  

Thanks OP! Unfortunately, Astraweb also caught up to me after 3 years of them not billing me, so paying $8.00 a month for that now *sigh*.

For people that want to try it out occasionally, you might consider watching for a block offer. I bought 1 TB for ~$20 during a sale a few years back and still haven't used it all up. Most of the good stuff (copyrighted) gets removed from US servers anyway, so they're of limited use.

amsetus said:   
TravelerMSY said:   Hence the question mark. Please enlighten me.

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."— Gene Spafford, 1992  

"Facebook is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea. Massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."—Me, 2016

The more things change...

Haven't used usenet for years.  whats a good and cheap/free news reader?

frugalpete said:   Haven't used usenet for years.  whats a good and cheap/free news reader?
  I already posted a promo for Newsbin Pro key for free. Powerful if not a bit bloated. 

Happy with this deal, works well so far and cheaper then astraweb

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017