This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals

Sensi Wi-Fi thermostat - $104.83

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Sensi Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat, UP500W for Smart Home, Works with Alexa - - Amazon.com
Disclaimer
Usually this sells around $129 on sesicomfort site and HomeDepot. Today its $104.83 with free shipping for Prime
Does not need 'C' wire
Linky 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is exactly why I prefer the Honeywell. With the Sensi, you can't hold temperature for a specific period of time on ... (more)

brock811 (Aug. 17, 2016 @ 7:24p) |

You don't need VPN to use this remotely...

I found it much easier to setup the programs via the web interface.  I have tw... (more)

EradicateSpam (Aug. 21, 2016 @ 10:06a) |

Got mine open box for less but great item. Can run it with Amazon Echo, or Fire TV via voice remote. Works great!

tyguide (Aug. 24, 2016 @ 10:05a) |

Now $122.99.  Anyone get a dated screen print of the $104.83 they want to post for my Citi Price Rewind?
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

READ THE REVIEWS. FOR MOST NO "C-WIRE". For two wire AC or Heat you MUST have a C-wire. So same problem as Nest. There are other brands out there that allow you to use a wall wart, supplying your own power.

Agree. For Most. and I am one of them luckily.
Compared to Nest this is way cheap except we miss self-learning and reporting

I purchased this in Sept '15 and it's still using the original AA batteries, no C wire needed. Love it, no issues to report. I don't trust the self-learning in the Nest, I'd rather take the 2 minutes to program the temps myself so this was perfect.

SoulAssassin said:   I purchased this in Sept '15 and it's still using the original AA batteries, no C wire needed. Love it, no issues to report. I don't trust the self-learning in the Nest, I'd rather take the 2 minutes to program the temps myself so this was perfect.
  Agreed.  Some products are meant to be a failure.  Like 3D TVs, self driving cars.  How can a thermostat predict anything that can happen?  Every day is different.  You can come and go at anytime of the day.  One wrong prediction and either you have to manually adjust it or end up paying extra $10 for that day.  Yes, in Arizona, for a 4500sq ft house, bill for one day can be as high as $50 with 3 units running.

Agreed. I love this thermostat

Not compatible yet with Smartthings.

I've had mine for over a year and love it. I love being on the couch, literally 10 feet away from the thermostat, and the wife asks me to turn the AC down. I'm all comfortable and don't want to move, so I whip out my cell phone, open the app, increase the temp, and go back to my vegging. I love being lazy.

Also cool for keeping pets comfy while you're on vacation. We recently went out of town for a week and a crazy heat wave came over our city. I checked and it was super hot in the house, so I gave the little monsters a little AC without breaking the bank (i.e. leaving it on the whole time).

SoulAssassin said:   I purchased this in Sept '15 and it's still using the original AA batteries, no C wire needed. Love it, no issues to report. I don't trust the self-learning in the Nest, I'd rather take the 2 minutes to program the temps myself so this was perfect.
  you will have it longer than that. i installed this same sensi for more than 1.5 years ago and now the battery indicator is still in full (all bars). unbelievable!

microkelvin said:   
  you will have it longer than that. i installed this same sensi for more than 1.5 years ago and now the battery indicator is still in full (all bars). unbelievable!

If you've been using WiFi running just from 2 AA batteries,that's amazing. But if you haven't enabled WiFi, then your battery life is not unusual.

I'm on my original batteries from well over a year ago with wifi on. This is a great thermostate and has lots and lots of options for installation, ie no C wire, as mentioned above. Good app. Warning alerts automatically sent if something is strange. Easy installation. Wonderful to check on the house while on vacation. Great to adjust the temp. from the couch. I have it linked to my Amazon Echo so can just talk. In MA there are 100 dollar rebates. I did it last year x2 houses so got four thermostats for about 20 bucks total at the time. Even at 40 for four, it's an amazing deal. I'd buy again at full price and not regret it.

Love how it is #1 on Amazon in "Home Nonprogrammable Thermostats"...

Avg battery life of 9,000 hours, which is 375 days.

Bought 2.

If you are in Massachusetts don't forget the $100 rebate through masssave for up to two thermostats per household. That will make it $11 each after rebate. You can get more than two rebates but you need to ask first.

To be fair you can also take 2 minutes to program the Nest instead of allowing self-learn to do it's thing.

Now $104.83. In for one.

I purchased 2 yesterday and noticed the price went down today. Called Amazon. they could not give me a credit for the difference since it had already shipped,

What they were able to do was make it so that it would get held at the post office for 5 days, then returned to Amazon and then I re-ordered at the lower price.

Seems silly that Amazon ends up paying an extra shipping, instead of just giving me a credit for the difference, but I guess that not my problem.

dssl said:   I purchased 2 yesterday and noticed the price went down today. Called Amazon. they could not give me a credit for the difference since it had already shipped,

What they were able to do was make it so that it would get held at the post office for 5 days, then returned to Amazon and then I re-ordered at the lower price.

Seems silly that Amazon ends up paying an extra shipping, instead of just giving me a credit for the difference, but I guess that not my problem.

How they handle that seems to be very YMMV depending on the customer service rep you get. My dad ordered something and the price dropped significantly a day or two later before it had even arrived. His first attempt he got shut down saying their prices are dynamic blah blah. He called back and the next guy refunded the difference immediately. He got an email a few hours later saying "We're sorry your item arrived damaged but you decided to keep it anyway. Here's a partial refund for your trouble". Some reps a more flexible with the rules than others I guess.

Edit: On topic, I have one of these since last year and it works well. I ended up re-wiring to add the C wire to be future-proof but the thermostat has worked flawlessly with our boiler setup.

Check eBay, it's full of them for under $100, new and everything. Got mine for $54 a couple of weeks ago. The thermostat is good, works fine, couples with wink, etc.

booksleuth said:   READ THE REVIEWS. FOR MOST NO "C-WIRE". For two wire AC or Heat you MUST have a C-wire. So same problem as Nest. There are other brands out there that allow you to use a wall wart, supplying your own power.
  You can pretty easily buy/build a 12vac wall wart and attach it to any of these thermostats that require a C wire.

The price on this dropped another $5. I've updated the OP.

I remember Emerson brand being recognized as a cheap electronic product that was sold at K-mart. How did Emerson become good at building wi-fi thermostat? Wish Emerson could redesign the appearance of this thermostat. If it looked better than my current builder's thermostat, I would seriously consider it.

plastrd said:   
dssl said:   I purchased 2 yesterday and noticed the price went down today. Called Amazon. they could not give me a credit for the difference since it had already shipped,

What they were able to do was make it so that it would get held at the post office for 5 days, then returned to Amazon and then I re-ordered at the lower price.

Seems silly that Amazon ends up paying an extra shipping, instead of just giving me a credit for the difference, but I guess that not my problem.

How they handle that seems to be very YMMV depending on the customer service rep you get. My dad ordered something and the price dropped significantly a day or two later before it had even arrived. His first attempt he got shut down saying their prices are dynamic blah blah. He called back and the next guy refunded the difference immediately. He got an email a few hours later saying "We're sorry your item arrived damaged but you decided to keep it anyway. Here's a partial refund for your trouble". Some reps a more flexible with the rules than others I guess.

Edit: On topic, I have one of these since last year and it works well. I ended up re-wiring to add the C wire to be future-proof but the thermostat has worked flawlessly with our boiler setup.

i agreed that some CSR are have more common sense.  i will try to chat with another rep before doing the return paperwork and taping.  

I also own this model of thermostat and like it. Very nice installation instructions through the App, and just recently it sent me an e-mail alert that the temperature deviated from the programmed temperature by too much (while I wasn't home), pointing me towards a clogged drain line which shut the A/C off.

Anyone have a deal on a HomeKit (Apple/Siri) compatible thermostat?

I have one and just bought a second one for the upstairs AC unit. It is a regular programmable thermostat. With the addition that I can control it from my phone while on vacation in Europe. Or from my bed. Or while driving.
Battery on the first unit is still good, after 5 months of service. Hopefully they will last a year or longer.

Had this thermostat for over a year and really like it.  Like others have said being able to raise or lower the temperature as needed from your phone is great, no need to get up.  I also like that you can look at the app and see if the unit is running.  Turns blue when cooling and red when heating.  I do have the c wire hooked up.  Had a extra wire in the loom and just hooked it up at both ends.  It's also compatible with Amaxon Echo, which I don't own.

Let me also add that I have this thermostat and it's wonderful. No 'C' wire unlike the Honeywell models and connecting and controlling (locally) is a breeze.

I do wish for an easy path to do remote controlling (I don't have a VPN setup) but it does exactly what I need.

That is the ugliest wifi t-stat I've seen in awhile.

Put this in my new home before moving in 10 months ago and love it. Installation was a breeze. A few weeks ago a visitor asked how to turn the a/c at the thermostat and I realize I had no clue. I have always controlled it easily with the iPhone and iPad.

Although this is a good deal on the Sensi, if you've ever had a good programmable thermostat, you'll be disappointed with this one. The only good thing about this thermostat is the fact that it doesn't need a c-wire. I had one for about a month before returning it for a Honeywell. Honeywell's app is WAY better and more user friendly. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honeywell for the same price or cheaper, then watch a video or read online to see how to install it without a c-wire. I hate to disagree with the good reviews from fellow FW members, but I was so disappointed with the Sensi after owning a Honeywell before that I ate the shipping costs to return it to Amazon

I am very happy with this Sensi Thermostat! Programming and control via the app is great. Additionally, when I wake up sweating at night I can just call out "Alexa, decrease my thermostat by 2 degrees" and instantly hear my AC kick on.....
As noted above the price on these does wander up and down.... Seems to hit $98 every few weeks.

I had picked up a couple about 2-3 months ago for around $92 (Amazon). Price fluctuates a lot so if you are not in a hurry then set a price watch on camelcamel. MD has $100 rebate on wi-fi thermostats. Unfortunately the rebate is limited to 1 per household per year so couldn't get a rebate for both.... Fantastic thermostat.

brock811 said:   Although this is a good deal on the Sensi, if you've ever had a good programmable thermostat, you'll be disappointed with this one. The only good thing about this thermostat is the fact that it doesn't need a c-wire. I had one for about a month before returning it for a Honeywell. Honeywell's app is WAY better and more user friendly. Do yourself a favor and buy a Honeywell for the same price or cheaper, then watch a video or read online to see how to install it without a c-wire. I hate to disagree with the good reviews from fellow FW members, but I was so disappointed with the Sensi after owning a Honeywell before that I ate the shipping costs to return it to Amazon
  The main reason I went with Senis was in my reading the cycle rate on the Honeywell Wi Fi's could not be changed.  If I read wrong let me know.
Setting the Sensi cycle rate

When I saw the original post for $110.xx, I bought thinking it was a deal. Now I see that it wasn't a great deal. I have Citi Price Rewind so no biggie I guess.

Very satisfied! I have the Amazon Echo and wanted an integrated thermostat.

It works really well, but be careful when programming the names of the thermostates.  Alexa recognizes words better than letters.  I used abbreviations when I first installed my thermostats to indicate rooms and had to change the names.  Works flawlessly now.  

I have also been happy with the Sensi thermostat since installation 8 months ago. Took some experimenting with the cycle rate before I'm happy with when it turns off/on.

While I know that I can program its schedules (I've not used extensively) via the app, does Sensi (or any programmable thermostat) allow for turning on just for a specific duration? Say, I want to turn on the A/C for the next 1 hour only, regardless of current temperature. (Similar to the timer/countdown feature on some TVs, to automatically turn off after some minutes.)

TrueMark said:   I have also been happy with the Sensi thermostat since installation 8 months ago. Took some experimenting with the cycle rate before I'm happy with when it turns off/on.

While I know that I can program its schedules (I've not used extensively) via the app, does Sensi (or any programmable thermostat) allow for turning on just for a specific duration? Say, I want to turn on the A/C for the next 1 hour only, regardless of current temperature. (Similar to the timer/countdown feature on some TVs, to automatically turn off after some minutes.)

That's what a schedule is. It uses time, not temperature sensor.

Skipping 4 Messages...
Got mine open box for less but great item. Can run it with Amazon Echo, or Fire TV via voice remote. Works great!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016