• Search this Topic »
Voting History

Posted with ToGo

Member Summary

Inspiron (39.67kB)
Thanks Xenocrates
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I upvoted this because it's an excellent price (where else are you going to find a new laptop for $100), but buyers need to be aware of what they're getting. I bought one of these a few months ago for $117 and sold it after a couple of months as it was too underpowered to meet my needs.

Very small and light. Took it with me on a trip and barely noticed it was there.
Battery lasts forever
Keyboard isn't bad to type on
Runs Ubuntu Mate and Xubuntu 16.04 flawlessly
No problems streaming media or doing basic office tasks

The processor, the processor, the processor (and 2GB of RAM).
EMMC storage is much slower than a real SSD
This machine falls down badly under load. Web browsing can be painfully slow with more than a couple of browser windows open.
The screen isn't very bright or contrasty (forgivable at this price point)
32GB is barely adequate for Windows 10 plus a few programs (although it does have a micro SD slot for media storage). Not a problem for me as I bought it to be a Linux box.

Gosh I am old... The day that new ultra-portable computers are sold for less than $100. Back in my day, something that was less than 1" thick under 5lbs was easily over $1200. Case in point: Latitude D4500 or IBM ThinkPad X31.

If it helps anyone, it may fail under load because Celeron isn't as good as Atom version of these sorta of lappies: Celeron vs Atom

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016