• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History

Member Summary

vivosmart (42.68kB)
Thanks Xenocrates
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have this activity tracker and I really like it. However, if I were in the market today I would probably buy the Vivosmart HR+ (the plus means it has built in GPS).

Here are some of the non-obvious benefits:
* It is waterproof to 50m (so plenty waterproof for swimming, although it doesn't track swimming)
* It has a HR broadcast mode that works with ANT (works with my Samsung phone) where I get heart rate data during my runs which I track with Endomondo. Any app and phone that can use ANT can integrate the HR data.
* The band vibrates and shows caller ID when you get a call. I no longer miss calls when my phone is in my bag or on my desk
* The display is always-on and low power. It uses ambient light to show the time so it works well outdoors but you need the back light indoors.
* Charging it while taking a shower gives it enough power to go another 2-3 days (not enough for a full charge, but plenty to keep it topped up).

Here is why I wouldn't buy one today:
* The Vivosmart HR+ has all of the above but also has built in GPS so you can leave your phone at home when tracking a run. Not a big deal for tracking runs, but it is a big deal for kayaking. My phones don't do well in rivers. I switched to using a Ringplus phone when I go out kayaking since they are effectively disposable. But with the HR+, I could leave the phone in the car.
* The Samsung Gear Fit 2 has some of the above but more smartwatch features, a nicer display, and integrated GPS. What the Samsung is missing is it isn't as waterproof (only IP68) and no HR broadcast mode. It tracks HR, but the HR data is only available within the S Health app.

That said, this deal is great at $100. The HR+ is $220 and the GF2 is $170, so for the price it can't be beat.

Note if you use Visa Checkout, you can knock off another $10 (off $100) from Best Buy...  you might have to add a "filler" item in this case to bump it past $99.99 (har!)

You actually don't need to add a filler item. I was able to purchase with the $10 discount with no additional items.

Is there any activity tracker that does not upload your data to their servers? If the manufacturer wants to collect data then the device should be at least free.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016