This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals

TRENDnet TEW-714TRU Wireless N 150 Mbps Travel Router $4.99 at newegg.com + FS

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo


TRENDnet TEW-714TRU Wireless N 150 Mbps Travel Router

$4.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156466

Share a single Internet connection with multiple users
Router, WISP, and Repeater, modes
USB file share port
USB quick charge port
Interchangeable power plugs: USA, Euro, and UK

Member Summary

TRENDnet TEW-714TRU
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Could the repeater mode allow a connection from a cell phone hot spot to a wired Ethernet connected DVR system or a Ubuntu wireless router? I have a signal on a hill top with line of sight to where I could use internet.

Thanks anticlawson!  Ordered 2. Awesome price so for the features.
Travel router (won't need to lug a spare router along)
USB share port
USB charger

Aerofreaky, That's what I am trying to find out too. Some travel routers specifically say AP (Access Point) client mode that would enable what you are trying to do. This one does not say so. WISP mode seems more like bridge mode. Hopefully it does AP client mode as part of it.
Previous deal for TP-Link travel router with AP client mode

Quick Charge 3.0?

davidbrownabc said:   Quick Charge 3.0?
  USB quick charge port (Max. 5 V DC 2.1 A)

non quickcharge port still charges at .5A

Can anybody tell me what is this used for other than the charge part? I thought if the hotel provides wifi, then you can connect multiple devices without your own router.

LiveWisely said:   Can anybody tell me what is this used for other than the charge part? I thought if the hotel provides wifi, then you can connect multiple devices without your own router.
 

  One case would be if the hotel also offers wired internet, in which case you can connect this to the wired connection, and then serve multiple devices. 

cestmoi123 said:   
LiveWisely said:   Can anybody tell me what is this used for other than the charge part? I thought if the hotel provides wifi, then you can connect multiple devices without your own router.
  One case would be if the hotel also offers wired internet, in which case you can connect this to the wired connection, and then serve multiple devices. 

  
An even more specific use case related to this would be using a Chromecast on a hotel TV when wifi authentication is required via web page. Even if the hotel wifi is open and doesn't require authentication on a web page, they often enable client isolation which means your phone won't be able to reach the Chromecast to cast anything. Connect this to the hotel wifi, connect your phone and Chromecast to this, and everything should be gravy after you authenticate on your phone.

Great price for one less headache and a spare USB charger to boot, in for one.

Edit: Good review of the features of this and a few other travel routers on small net builder
Edit2: To the first two posters asking about using it as a wireless bridge, according to the small net builder review (page 2) above it does not support AP or client mode (LAN port only works in Router mode so the wired device you connect would have to be on a separate network from the host) but it does support repeater mode so that might work to boost a hotspot to another wireless device.

can this be flashed to dd-wrt ?  

delete

Great deal. In for 2. Thanks OP

Alright, yall talked me into it. I'll probably deploy one of these as a WiFi extender. The second will go to experimental use. Right now I'm using an old router running DD-WRT for my WiFi extender.

amhidogha said:   Thanks anticlawson!  Ordered 2. Awesome price so for the features.
Travel router (won't need to lug a spare router along)
USB share port
USB charger

Aerofreaky, That's what I am trying to find out too. Some travel routers specifically say AP (Access Point) client mode that would enable what you are trying to do. This one does not say so. WISP mode seems more like bridge mode. Hopefully it does AP client mode as part of it.
Previous deal for TP-Link travel router with AP client mode

  Agreed. 
Both products complement each other, each having stuff the other one doesn't. 

Green for you op. U 

Was going to order one but OOS. Me no happy : ( great deal though and green for you, OP.

This is an immature product. Buggy, lack of basic router features like changeable MAC address (no no for hotel wifi), no virtual private network (no no for open network), nor port forwarding (no no for gaming nor streaming). Not much from tech. supports. But good as $5 bulky charger in foreign countries.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017