http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235061

Promo Code: EMCEMGH98 

Member Summary

external hard drive
Thanks Kcarlsen21
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seagate 8tb has been on Amazon for the same price. How is is this a deal ???

Also for those lookin, Seagate 5tb is 110 at BB.

I purchased the Seagate 8TB USB back in May 2016, it's having issues already. Sometimes when I try to copy a file I get I/O errors.
I have other Seagate USB externals (like a 5TB one) and it still works fine for over a year now.

I do know the speeds are the greatest on the 8TB; I believe they put a "Seagate Archive" SMR drive inside. Basically the lower performance drive. I get about 70MB - 90MB/sec when copying files over 2GB to it.

I'd rather pick up three of the 3TB WD drives at Fry's for $79 each with e-mailed promo code (you would need access to 3 promo codes to buy 3, but you get the idea)   That makes 9TB for about $237, but also gives you 3X the opportunity to not lose all data in the event of a crash.
Frys

leonc said:   I'd rather pick up three of the 3TB WD drives at Fry's for $79 each with e-mailed promo code (you would need access to 3 promo codes to buy 3, but you get the idea)   That makes 9TB for about $237, but also gives you 3X the opportunity to not lose all data in the event of a crash.
Frys

Maybe three times the opportunity to not loose all your data, but also three times the opportunity for a crash to lose 1/3 of your data.

tommyy22 said:   
leonc said:   I'd rather pick up three of the 3TB WD drives at Fry's for $79 each with e-mailed promo code (you would need access to 3 promo codes to buy 3, but you get the idea)   That makes 9TB for about $237, but also gives you 3X the opportunity to not lose all data in the event of a crash.
Frys

Maybe three times the opportunity to not loose all your data, but also three times the opportunity for a crash to lose 1/3 of your data.

My data is tight, not loose.

hmm. am i going to entrust 8tbs of data into a wd drive?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017