2 cu. ft. Mulch $2 + Free Store Pickup @ Lowes ( starts today ) or Home Depot ( starts 9/1 )

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Is one brand better than the other ?

Starts Thursday at Home Depot(website).......$2.00 at Lowes website now

If you read the reviews of these products, you will find that the Lowe's product is lousy quality, and Scott's is hot and cold.

The Lowes stuff is ok. I bought a pallet of it earlier this year. The Scots may be a bit better but I believe it is all from Scotts or the cmpany that packs it for them. Ultimately there are no real differences in shredded wood mulch. If it helps you at all - I'm buying more from Lowes.

I used the brown mulch from Lowes last year, and I'll be buying a few bags this year to improve the color. Honestly, it's held up pretty well for an entire year in the arizona sun. Green to the OP.

I think Home Depot had this kind of sale in the spring. I got 3 bags, should have gotten 10 LOL

Previous threads say the Scotts doesn't hold it's color.

was waiting for the sale price to kick in. picking up 100 bags for the back yard.

Those buying large quantities, this works out to $27 for a cubic yard. We buy dyed mulch from a local supplier in large quantity, min delivery 5 cubic yards (equivalent to 67 1/2 bags) for less money and it is higher quality and color lasts 3 years. Takes 28 yards to do our property, that would be 378 bags...).

Slickone said:   Previous threads say the Scotts doesn't hold it's color.
  Scott's sells FOUR kinds of mulch, each with warranties re color. Note on their own website, lousy ratings for some: https://www.scotts.com/smg/gocat/mulch-soil-garden-scotts-plant-...

EradicateSpam said:   
Slickone said:   Previous threads say the Scotts doesn't hold it's color.
  Scott's sells FOUR kinds of mulch, each with warranties re color. Note on their own website, lousy ratings for some: https://www.scotts.com/smg/gocat/mulch-soil-garden-scotts-plant-food-potting-mix-top-soil-humus-manure-garden-soil/cat70024

The deals are always for $2 bags. Not sure if that's the same as these $2 ones or not.

If this is the same stuff that was on sale in May my 30 bags already lost their color. I'll have to search for better mulch next year.

I bought about 20 bags from HD a year or so ago and be warned, they may come chock full of fleas. My dog, who is now 12 and had never had fleas before, broke out soon after I laid this out. After doing some research, I found that the fleas likely came from the mulch. If you don't have dogs/cats and don't like to roll around in your mulch, then you are fine.

This stuff is absolute junk. Color faded in a few weeks. Thankfully I had read the reviews first and had saved my receipt and the UPC. I contacted Scotts and they gave me a full refund, but it was a big hassle and waste of time.

Stick with your local nursery for what I found to be a much much much higher quality product, and worth the extra $$$

Free mulch is available at many cities. They trim trees, grind them up, and give it away.

If it helps anyone's decision, both stores offer a 10% veteran's discount, but...
* at Home Depot you have to have a service connected disability (your VA card MUST say "service connected")
* at Lowe's you just have to present a valid VA card

This has helped so much this year in keeping my garden wet with less water. This stuff is a super sponge and it really helps soak up the water and then release it as needed. I'm actually water less, but my plants (mostly in my dahlia bed) are doing a lot better this year.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017