This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Sears : Samsung SmartThings Sale + Up to $49.99 SYWR Points

http://www.sears.com/search=smartthings?Brand=Samsung&filterList=Brand&catalogId=12605 

Sears is having a Samsung SmartThings Sale with free shipping on orders of $35+.

Selection includes:

Note: For the best possible deal, purchase the above offers at Sears in the quantities listed using a discounted Gift Card from Raise.com! The special offers at Sears include "SYW Members! Get $10 back in points when you spend $50 or more! Items Sold by Sears. " as well as other bonus offers.

Plus, make sure you make all your purchases thru ebates to receive cash back on top of the other savings

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I remember a deal on these quickly passing a while ago (christmas time maybe), and so I didn't look into these much. The reviews seem favorable, but does anyone have a quick opinion on this setup?

Does anyone just use the hub without any sensors?

MeIsCheap said:   I remember a deal on these quickly passing a while ago (christmas time maybe), and so I didn't look into these much. The reviews seem favorable, but does anyone have a quick opinion on this setup?

Does anyone just use the hub without any sensors?

I have the hub and use it for Philips Hue only currently. But I do plan on getting more sensors. Its currently the most approachable and flexible system for home automation. Others have more functions and ability for integration but are typically more expensive and not user friendly. The SmartThings hub is simple but can also do quite a lot in conjunction with programs like https://ifttt.com/ 

It also works with the Amazon Echo. My favorite feature to show off is, "Echo, turn on the fireplace." I also use it with Hues (in fact, I wrote a custom app because their official Hue app only supports one Hue bridge, and I use two: Link. ) Paired with a whole bunch of z-wave switches, garage door opener, etc. Plugged my washer and dryer into energy monitoring outlets and was able to set it up to give me notifications on my phone and blink my office lights(!) when they're done.

Some features though can require a bit of technical knowledge to set up. It's not as plug and play as it could be. For some devices, you have to cut and paste community developed code into a website...

I like it. I use it.
Although it is a bit more tinkering with smartapps and such than I really wished.

I've been using the system for 6 months and it's been great. I have the home kit, 3rd party light switch, water leak sensor, and camera. Only complaint is the add-on costs ($30+ for door/window sensor).

I added items to my cart, then removed and readded so see the SYW points and got 10,000 bonus points for free.

So, I waited and waited and finally decided I wanted to upgrade my home switches to smart switches. I researched and researched and compared the alternatives. Just as I was about to order, I realized that all these devices require 'self-consuming power' to operate. That made me hesitate since I am also trying to lower my electric bills.

So, I saw at CES this year, Bluetooth smart devices have become available. And I also see that the next Bluetooth standard will be mainly focused on the low power version of Bluetooth, both increasing its range and capabilities and reducing further the power required.

So, I hopped back on the fence for another year. Bluetooth offers too many advantages for me not to wait. It is interoperable and range-extending without requiring a hub (there are 3rd party apps for controlling without hub) and both the lack of hub and lower power will make saving energy much easier than with Z-Wave, Zigbee, SmartThings, or others.

infinitemonkeys said:   So, I waited and waited and finally decided I wanted to upgrade my home switches to smart switches. I researched and researched and compared the alternatives. Just as I was about to order, I realized that all these devices require 'self-consuming power' to operate. That made me hesitate since I am also trying to lower my electric bills.

So, I saw at CES this year, Bluetooth smart devices have become available. And I also see that the next Bluetooth standard will be mainly focused on the low power version of Bluetooth, both increasing its range and capabilities and reducing further the power required.

So, I hopped back on the fence for another year. Bluetooth offers too many advantages for me not to wait. It is interoperable and range-extending without requiring a hub (there are 3rd party apps for controlling without hub) and both the lack of hub and lower power will make saving energy much easier than with Z-Wave, Zigbee, SmartThings, or others.

I think you might be underestimating how annoying it is to do everything from a smartphone, without a hub. Take phone out of pocket, open up app, etc. Part of the beauty of SmartThings is you don't *have* to use the app to control stuff. There's a bunch of controllers and buttons you can get, and the hub makes them all communicate. Bluetooth devices have a long way to go before they can possibly offer all the functionality that these things do, and all be compatible with each other. They may never get there. There needs to be some sort of brain for all of it unless all you want to do is be able to turn lights on and off from your phone. SmartThings does so much more than that.

infinitemonkeys said:   So, I waited and waited and finally decided I wanted to upgrade my home switches to smart switches. I researched and researched and compared the alternatives. Just as I was about to order, I realized that all these devices require 'self-consuming power' to operate. That made me hesitate since I am also trying to lower my electric bills.

It sounds like Z-wave might pick up some more steam:
Article

metsfan said:   It also works with the Echo.
That is a huge plus for me...
Plugged my washer and dryer into energy monitoring outlets and was able to set it up to give me notifications on my phone and blink my office lights(!) when they're done.
Wow, that is soooooo freaking cool!!!
Some features though can require a bit of technical knowledge to set up. It's not as plug and play as it could be. For some devices, you have to cut and paste community developed code into a website...
Good to know, but no issue for me as an IT guy!

Also interesting comments regarding Bluetooth and low energy. There are pros/cons to everything for sure.
My approach would be... first guestimate just how much the real monthly cost will be with this solution vs. a BTLE energy solution
Then determine if that monthly savings in energy is worth the hassle of using an app all the time, vs. the convenience of letting a hub manage everything

Oh, another use for this I love: I have Schlage Z-wave smart locks. Using a community developed app, I can set up multiple entrance codes on it. Enable and disable them as I like. Get notifications when only specific ones are used, so I don't get a notification on my phone when my wife or I unlock the door, but I do when the cat sitter or contractor (or whoever else) does. Huge convenience to not have to carry a key, though that could be done with other locks that aren't "connected."

Once we went out of town and forgot to re-enable the cat sitter code until we were gone, and I was able to just do it from my phone on the road.

Have not done the math yet to see if it's a better deal or not... but Samsung direct is offering 20% off all orders with code LABORDAY through 9/10

EDIT - after comparing, prices are the same, and both offer free shipping and both charge tax.  
Only difference is a one-time $15 discount (SYW) and 3% ebates, so Sears has the advantage...

The points don't roll.

5% Discovercard

Hello Siri

how long do point take to show up?
When I checked out it said 0 points

Trinimd1 said:   how long do point take to show up?
When I checked out it said 0 points

It usually takes 24 hours for points to show in your account.

for the monitor kit, my card shows:
You could earn 81,998 points to use later
includes a $80.00 bonus points offer for qualifying offers

wow!!! awesome deal, cool item

This deal seems dead now

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017