Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

MP9 SHIELD 9MM 7/8RD 3.1IN BLK
Disclaimer

MP9 SHIELD 9MM 7/8RD 3.1IN BLK
Disclaimer
Bought  a small (nice conceal) 9 mm  SMITH AND WESSON MP9 SHIELD from KGC (Kentucky Gun Company) today.  Great reviews including thetruthaboutguns - http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/ralph/gun-review-smith-...

$318.63 (3% more for CC) and free shipping to your local FFL.  I bought AR-15s from KGC before and pleased with their service.

S&W MP9 Shield 

Please no anti-gun flames but focus on the deal.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
This is the 100% correct answer. No weapon is going to help you if you can't use it, no weapon is going to be safe and r... (more)

spdracer5g (Sep. 16, 2016 @ 5:35a) |

For home and self protection years ago I started out with a nice S&W double action revolver. I've since moved to an HK.4... (more)

poorfatkid (Sep. 16, 2016 @ 10:27a) |

No not yet at least.

I bought 2 Bushmaster AR-15s from KGC and they charged both times for stupid bullet button (only $10... (more)

BPH789 (Sep. 16, 2016 @ 11:00a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nation s Finest - Smith Wesson
Disclaimer
Also, a $50 rebate for military!!!!   Rebate Link 

Great price. Rebate does not seem to be valid on Shield though. I own one as well, great firearm for concealment use. 

If someone wanted something small to keep inside the house to protect from intruders, what do you guys recommend?

wassupd0c said:   If someone wanted something small to keep inside the house to protect from intruders, what do you guys recommend?
  20 gauge shotgun

wassupd0c said:   If someone wanted something small to keep inside the house to protect from intruders, what do you guys recommend?
  Small? No kids? Revolver. Kids? Semi-auto.

Anything you're comfortable using is better than nothing.  Don't overthink it.

Is your house so small that a full size handgun wouldn't fit inside? Seriously, compact and subcompact handguns are good for concealed carry only. Bigger pistols are much easier to shoot fast and accurately, have more ammo capacity and better terminal ballistics.

I think it can always be found for around this price, and sometimes $299.
Does this one have the thumb safety?  Some do, some don't.

FYI, it's called an M&P9.

Green for you OP; Good price. I prefer a revolver or a shotgun for the house as others have mentioned just for ease of use.

in for 2 !,, me and the wife,,the family that shoots together ,,stays alive..

Good price shipped

Thanks for nice finds.

Great price for this great gun. I wanted the smallest concealable 9mm semi-automatic that I could rely on, and even though I wound up getting a Ruger LC9s Pro, I would have preferred the Shield, were it not for the fact that it's a bit large for comfortable pocket carry...at least in my, and many others, opinion. The Shield is a very substantial and reliable small 9mm.

I talked to several gun salesmen and almost all of them said their favorite small 9mm is the Shield.

hillaryhellnoin said:   in for 2 !,, me and the wife,,the family that shoots together ,,stays alive..

I moved 6 weeks ago and still unpacking... I hid the Daewoo K5 right before I moved securely somewhere and haven't found it yet.  So excuse to buy another pistol to which my wife thought I was crazy with 2 pistols, 2 AR-15s and 20g shotgun purchased under her name 'cos I didn't have the latest license with new address (she still bugs me about this gun registered to her - LOL).

That said KGC is awesome though can be few days late to fulfill the orders and nicely forgot to mot remove or modify 20-rnd magazine when they shipped an AR-15 to Cali - the bastion of gun control freaks...

.38 revolver -- small, simple, foolproof, effective.  cannot be beat for novice occasional shooter.   

BPH789 said:   

I moved 6 weeks ago and still unpacking... I hid the Daewoo K5 right before I moved securely somewhere and haven't found it yet.  So excuse to buy another pistol to which my wife thought I was crazy with 2 pistols, 2 AR-15s and 20g shotgun purchased under her name 'cos I didn't have the latest license with new address (she still bugs me about this gun registered to her - LOL).

That said KGC is awesome though can be few days late to fulfill the orders and nicely forgot to mot remove or modify 20-rnd magazine when they shipped an AR-15 to Cali - the bastion of gun control freaks...

Some friendly advice: From references to registration, etc., sounds like you live in CA or similar anti-gun state. You may want to check requirements for reporting lost firearms. I would also be very careful -- in ANY part of the country -- with statements like "purchased under her name," which could be interpreted as admitting a straw purchase. Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

PMR 30.

The op's Shield is good for conceal/carry.  Good deal.

theblenny said:   

PMR 30.

For a novice "non-shooter" the PMR 30 is a very odd choice for a night-stand defensive weapon, for many reasons.  This type of person would be much better off with a modern (light) revolver, in the caliber of one's choice (my choice would be .38 Spl +P), along with some good instruction and range time.

Yebala said:   
  Is your house so small that a full size handgun wouldn't fit inside? Seriously, compact and subcompact handguns are good for concealed carry only. Bigger pistols are much easier to shoot fast and accurately, have more ammo capacity and better terminal ballistics.

For home protection, one of your concerns has to be what happens if you discharge the weapon and miss.  Wallboard can be penetrated quite easily.  There are certain advantages to smaller weapons/lighter rounds.

I think this Mossberg 300 model is ideal for home defense. The included tube is kind of silly, but I'm not sure how much cheaper the shotgun alone would be. I'm sure there are lower prices available, but this Gander.Mountain link offers a good description, and I was informed it goes on sale and/or rebates become available fairly frequently.

tuphat said:   
BPH789 said:   

Some friendly advice: From references to registration, etc., sounds like you live in CA or similar anti-gun state. You may want to check requirements for reporting lost firearms. I would also be very careful -- in ANY part of the country -- with statements like "purchased under her name," which could be interpreted as admitting a straw purchase. Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

In a freecountry shouldn't these gun regulations be unconstitutional?

Slickone said:   I think it can always be found for around this price, and sometimes $299.

FYI, This is NOT the M&P9, this is the M&P Sheild 9mm. 2 completely different guns

GatorJ said:   
Yebala said:   

For home protection, one of your concerns has to be what happens if you discharge the weapon and miss.  Wallboard can be penetrated quite easily.  There are certain advantages to smaller weapons/lighter rounds.

Well, a BB gun wouldn't penetrate sheetrock and/or kill an innocent bystander if you miss the intruder. I guess that makes it a perfect home defense weapon.

i didn't use it yet

Trickracen said:   
Slickone said:   I think it can always be found for around this price, and sometimes $299.

FYI, This is NOT the M&P9, this is the M&P Sheild 9mm. 2 completely different guns

Yes. I was just correcting the first part that the OP wrote. FYI full name in both OP links is M&P9 Shield (KGC actually put MP9). Correct name is M&P Shield 9mm.

tuphat said:   
theblenny said:   

PMR 30.

For a novice "non-shooter" the PMR 30 is a very odd choice for a night-stand defensive weapon, for many reasons.  This type of person would be much better off with a modern (light) revolver, in the caliber of one's choice (my choice would be .38 Spl +P), along with some good instruction and range time.

I have to disagree some. I've been shooting for 45 years. I own a Ruger and Taurus light .38Spl revolvers. Great guns, but hard to shoot because of the felt recoil and small grips. I hate shooting +P in them. I think a larger gun with more mass and a larger grip is a better choice if you going to have a single gun for home defense. And if you get a gun, get some sort of gun safe to store it in. The range time and instruction advice is as sound as it comes.

There's nothing quite like the sound of a shotgun being pumped which will deter all but the most deranged or drugged out criminal.I would hate to actually have to shoot someone, so in my opinion it's the final warning to an intruder. Some disagree with this theory but it all depends upon how easily someone can gain entry to your home. The vast majority of burglars are not armed but if you're home is easily accessed by smashing a window, you have to factor that in as well and multiple firearms might be best especially if you have a bedroom on the ground floor.

dogmeat said:   
tuphat said:   
theblenny said:   

PMR 30.

I have to disagree some. I've been shooting for 45 years. I own a Ruger and Taurus light .38Spl revolvers. Great guns, but hard to shoot because of the felt recoil and small grips. I hate shooting +P in them. I think a larger gun with more mass and a larger grip is a better choice if you going to have a single gun for home defense. And if you get a gun, get some sort of gun safe to store it in. The range time and instruction advice is as sound as it comes.

Respect your experience & opinion.  For me, it comes down to whether each member of my family will be able to confidently & safely use a "shared" pistol in an emergency situation.  For that reason, I favor a revolver vs. semi-auto, in a size & weight that is comfortable to the smallest set of (responsible) hands.  Realistically, I think a couple of well-placed & timed shots are going to resolve 98% of home emergency situations.
P.S.  I should have clarified that even if you don't plan to use a +P load, I would always buy a pistol that is so certified.

LOOPHOLE said:   There's nothing quite like the sound of a shotgun being pumped which will deter all but the most deranged or drugged out criminal.
  Unfortunately, that is a myth.  IMHO, you are better off with a shell already chambered.  As soon as you pick it up & release the safety, you are ready for any action that may be required.  A shouted warning ("get out or I will shoot") is a lot less ambiguous than racking the gun & hoping the bad guy understands your intentions.  Just my 2 cents.

tuphat said:   
dogmeat said:   
tuphat said:   
theblenny said:   

PMR 30.

Respect your experience & opinion.  For me, it comes down to whether each member of my family will be able to confidently & safely use a "shared" pistol in an emergency situation.  For that reason, I favor a revolver vs. semi-auto, in a size & weight that is comfortable to the smallest set of (responsible) hands.  Realistically, I think a couple of well-placed & timed shots are going to resolve 98% of home emergency situations.
P.S.  I should have clarified that even if you don't plan to use a +P load, I would always buy a pistol that is so certified.

I bought my wife (me really ) the M&P bodyguard .38.  I've shot it several times, but the the grip is a little small, perhaps better for a lady's grasp.  Revolvers are nice because the will not jam but it only holds 5 rounds......

The PMR is light weight, reliable and holds 30 rounds.  So you miss with the first dozen because you are sleepy, you have another 18 to go....  I like the lower rail and put on a Crimson light/laser.  Nice finger touch to turn on the flashlight and can adjust to a strobe with a laser.  Hit someone with a strobe and the boom of a .22 mag, they will never return.

theblenny said:   
The PMR is light weight, reliable and holds 30 rounds.  So you miss with the first dozen because you are sleepy, you have another 18 to go....  I like the lower rail and put on a Crimson light/laser.  Nice finger touch to turn on the flashlight and can adjust to a strobe with a laser.  Hit someone with a strobe and the boom of a .22 mag, they will never return.

SO many things wrong here: Firing a dozen rounds half asleep is NOT shooting. Blinging up a last-line weapon with CT and strobe is ridiculous, and can get you killed. Effectiveness of 22 Mag is debatable, many would say it's inferior to more familiar alternatives. https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/8/the-22-magnum-for-self-defense/

ETA: Back to the original question, as I understood it: A gun to be used for self-defense against an intruder. To me, that means any (responsible) family member should be able to correctly & confidently operate, not just the dude with the big hands, or the person who knows how to quickly clear a misfeed.

I ordered yesterday morning before I posted the deal and got shipping confirmation today.  KGC sent it using USPS Priority Mail to local FFL in SF bay area.

BPH789 said:   I ordered yesterday morning before I posted the deal and got shipping confirmation today.  KGC sent it using USPS Priority Mail to local FFL in SF bay area.
  PS-I should also mention I do have an M&P Shield in 9mm (along with two other M&Ps). I like the M&P build.  I prefer a model with a safety. It functions great, but in my hands is not the most accurate pistol. Very short sight radius; fair amount of jump in the hand after a shot. More than adequate for home defense and CC. Not likely to win any Target shooting contests. 

Nice find OP.

BPH789 said:   I ordered yesterday morning before I posted the deal and got shipping confirmation today.  KGC sent it using USPS Priority Mail to local FFL in SF bay area.

Gun arrived at local FFL last Sat - 4 days after ordered.

Anyone else got theirs shipped and arrived at local FFL?

I have this in the .40 and the recoil is borderline silly. The 9 is probably more manageable.

LOOPHOLE said:   There's nothing quite like the sound of a shotgun being pumped which will deter all but the most deranged or drugged out criminal.I would hate to actually have to shoot someone, so in my opinion it's the final warning to an intruder. Some disagree with this theory but it all depends upon how easily someone can gain entry to your home. The vast majority of burglars are not armed but if you're home is easily accessed by smashing a window, you have to factor that in as well and multiple firearms might be best especially if you have a bedroom on the ground floor.
  This is ridiculous. Sorry, no disrespect meant. Give up a shot for a scary sound?? What if there are multiple intruders? The final warning to any intruder in my home is the locked door. Period.

LOOPHOLE said:   There's nothing quite like the sound of a shotgun being pumped which will deter all but the most deranged or drugged out criminal.I would hate to actually have to shoot someone, so in my opinion it's the final warning to an intruder. Some disagree with this theory but it all depends upon how easily someone can gain entry to your home. The vast majority of burglars are not armed but if you're home is easily accessed by smashing a window, you have to factor that in as well and multiple firearms might be best especially if you have a bedroom on the ground floor.

Oh my... The racking of a shotgun is no final warning unless of course you watch too much TV. It might just be the last thing you hear before you're dead yourself. "The vast majority of burglars are not armed " ---really bad assumption. Assume they are  all armed and you better treat them as such.

If you want to protect yourself or your home (especially with a weapon) you need to seek professional training and do not listen to us knuckleheads on FatWallet..... There's an abundance of bad advice here.

Skipping 6 Messages...
xqa2000 said:   
BPH789 said:   Well tried to set-up time with local FFL yesterday and told that KGC sent wrong non-Cali compliant gun.  KGC promptly issued returned label within an hour and sending replacement Cali compliant version.

Man I hate living in anti-gun state!

Did you pay the same price for the Cali compliant version?  Also I plan to pay by check to save 3% but not sure how it works as I've never pay by check before.  If you paid by check please advise.  Thanks.

No not yet at least.

I bought 2 Bushmaster AR-15s from KGC and they charged both times for stupid bullet button (only $10 more), and ocalled me to inform me that they need to modify the 30-rnd to 10-rnd for $15.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017