AT&T GoPhone - ZTE Zmax 2 4G with 16GB Memory Prepaid Cell Phone -- $49.99 at Best Buy

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

ZTE Zmax 2
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

WindWalker (Sep. 21, 2016 @ 11:41p) |

received it. called ATT cust-service and got the included GO SIM activated on my existing post-paid plan.
Loving the phon... (more)

Amby (Sep. 23, 2016 @ 10:35a) |

Can anyone suggest any bluetooth headset (for talking on the phone) and speaker? Thanks.

chasingdream (Sep. 23, 2016 @ 11:31a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In for one!! Thanks OP. I have been waiting for this phone to come on sale again. Very easy to get the free unlock from AT&T. I am already using one on T-Mobile.

There comes my secondary phone.

I wonder why it is that ATT go phones are easy to get unlock codes for, while Cricket are not. I got a Nokia 640 cricket phone that has no service due to that.

rendition said:   I wonder why it is that ATT go phones are easy to get unlock codes for, while Cricket are not. I got a Nokia 640 cricket phone that has no service due to that.
  It has more to do with being a lumia than cricket. They are one of the more difficult unlocks

lobstersoap said:   
rendition said:   I wonder why it is that ATT go phones are easy to get unlock codes for, while Cricket are not. I got a Nokia 640 cricket phone that has no service due to that.
  It has more to do with being a lumia than cricket. They are one of the more difficult unlocks

um not really... att unlocks are the easiest of he gsm phone carriers to accomplish. 
and BTW, this phone is a real winner..

can someone share the link to buy the unlock code for this ?

freeforanyone1 said:   can someone share the link to buy the unlock code for this ?
 You can get the unlock code from AT&T for free  Here You Go. .  I do not remember the steps involved but you can search this forum for some instruction on how to go about doing it.  Maybe some kind folks here can help you save your money.  Good luck.

How to unlock this phone:
1. Do not turn the phone on, don't even open the box. OK you can open the box. The ATT SIM is in the phone GET IT OUT!!
2. Go to this web site: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/?#/ 
3. Check I have read and agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock my device.
4. This is super important, check Non-AT&T Mobility Customer
5. Fill out the form, including the IMEI number which is located on the Box
6. Submit
7. You will be sent an email with a link to confirm
8. Open your email and confirm
9. Anywhere from 1 hour to 48 hours you will be given an unlock code. It took 29 hours for me to receive mine.
10. Open up the box, put in your SIM from your Carrier and turn it on.
11. You will be prompted for the unlock code
12. Put it in and continue.

clydestereo said:   How to unlock this phone:
1. Do not turn the phone on, don't even open the box.
3. Check I have read and agree to the eligibility requirements to unlock my device.
6. Submit
9. Anywhere from 1 hour to 48 hours you will be given an unlock code. It took 29 hours for me to receive mine.

More specifically...
10. Open box and remove ATT sim card that comes pre-installed.
     Insert your non-ATT sim card (not sure but if you use a sim from a MVNO of ATT you just may activate on the ATT network and screw the pooch)
     Insert battery and power on.

Great phone 5.5 inch screen 16gb memory and room for a sd card, battery removable as well. I have been using it for 5 months and NO problems, check youtube reviews...A

lobstersoap said:   

Yeah, no. Had zero problems with my Lumia 640 gophone unlock. Cricket just doesn't unlock until you've had service with them for a while.

does this phone need to be unlocked for use on cricket?

brusbrother said:   
clydestereo said:   How to unlock this phone:
1. Do not turn the phone on, don't even open the box.
6. Submit

More specifically...
10. Open box and remove ATT sim card that comes pre-installed.
     Insert your non-ATT sim card (not sure but if you use a sim from a MVNO of ATT you just may activate on the ATT network and screw the pooch)
     Insert battery and power on.

Yes, Make sure that the SIM you use for unlocking has a number that begins in   89012.

TrueKnight said:   does this phone need to be unlocked for use on cricket?
  No, just insert your SIM and set APN.

This is a very decent phone for $50. The only thing it is lacking is NFC.

total noob.......unlock and then do what with it?  I need a low cost carrier for back up phone for my 12 year old

sijaz said:   total noob.......unlock and then do what with it?  I need a low cost carrier for back up phone for my 12 year old
Try Lycamobile. It is a MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that runs off TMobile towers.
There are plans as low as $19 per month for unlimited talk and text. Other plans for same as the unlt'd talk and text but with gradually increasing amount of data. $23 for talk/text and 500 mb 4G data. After the 500 mb, it is throttled to snails pace but you still have access. If you sign up for auto renewal, take 9% off the prices quoted.
Family has been using Lyca for a few years now.
Daughter was fine with the cheapest plan on campus since wifi was readily available. Now upgraded to the $23 plan for the occasional data need beyond wifi. She doesn't spend any time with social media or cat videos.

sijaz said:   total noob.......unlock and then do what with it?  I need a low cost carrier for back up phone for my 12 year old
Go to puretalkusa.com- ATT MVNO
Budget plans start at 10/mo

Service on ATT Mvno and T-Mobile mvno are not exactly the same like ATT and T-Mobile themselves.
Bandwidth preference is given first to subscribers of the parent carrier ATT/tmobile.You won't notice the diff if you are using just for calling.
You will notice it when you browse

bsam6463 said:   Service on ATT Mvno and T-Mobile mvno are not exactly the same like ATT and T-Mobile themselves.
Bandwidth preference is given first to subscribers of the parent carrier ATT/tmobile.You won't notice the diff if you are using just for calling.
You will notice it when you browse

Yup that may be so but I have never had any issue with Lyca (MVNO)
The question was about a "low cost carrier" for the poster's son. I guess "low cost" is a relevant term BUT after all, this is FW
Anyway, I don't think anyone here expects to get a Mercedes for the price of a Hyundai...
Oh, and since no one has clarified it yet... this phone WILL NOT WORK ON RING+  

seems like a nice phone but it does have a few limitations: Subpar camera, no tethering for non-ATT networks, limited LTE bands for international travel, a bit heavy at 170g.
However, at $50 most of those are probably acceptable. It does have a locked bootloader so it would be difficult or impossible to remove the ATT bloatware or load custom roms.
Also, future software updates are most likely limited.

Thanks OP.
Needed a backup phone.
Got this last time and have been pleased with it, for the most part. The one issue I had was with the SD card. It would not recognize the 64GB SD card that I added.

View said:   seems like a nice phone but it does have a few limitations: Subpar camera, no tethering for non-ATT networks, limited LTE bands for international travel, a bit heavy at 170g.
However, at $50 most of those are probably acceptable. It does have a locked bootloader so it would be difficult or impossible to remove the ATT bloatware or load custom roms.
Also, future software updates are most likely limited.

This is all true, but as you said, for $50, it's not a big deal.

I would think for most people, the tethering, international bands, and bootloader aren't concerns in the slightest. From experience, the camera isn't too great, though it does take very nice pictures and video in full sunlight. Once things get a little dim, though, it can struggle. I have not found the weight to be a problem - some people won't like that it's a big phone, but I like it. Though I likely would've been too nervous to brick my phone to do it, it would be nice to be able to root it, if only to get rid of the bloatware.

Overall, it's a wonderful phone for the price. Seems quite fast and responsive to me and has a nice display. Voice quality is solid.

georgetgonzales said:   Best Buy has the AT&T GoPhone ZTE Zmax 2 4G with 16GB Memory No-Contract Cell Phone - Black for only $49.99 w/ free shipping.
 I don't believe you. Where did you get this top secret information?

great deal thx op in for 2

Yeah, thanks op. I got one to replace my wife's cracked screen fire phone. Set it up for her... then ordered one for myself. I really like this phone.

Just want to confirm, since 4G is discontinued. The internet will not work correct? After unlock, anyone able to use FreedomPop 3-in-1 sim card with this phone without wifi? Thanks.

chasingdream said:   Just want to confirm, since 4G is discontinued. The internet will not work correct? After unlock, anyone able to use FreedomPop 3-in-1 sim card with this phone without wifi? Thanks.
  This is a GSM phone. FreedomPop runs on Sprint CDMA network in the US. And who told you 4G is discontinued? This phone will run on 2G, 3G, 4G, and LTE. 2G will be defunct after the end of 2016. It might work on the FreedomPop Global SIM, which roams on ATT and T-Mo in the US and UK.

chubbypops said:   
chasingdream said:   Just want to confirm, since 4G is discontinued. The internet will not work correct? After unlock, anyone able to use FreedomPop 3-in-1 sim card with this phone without wifi? Thanks.
  This is a GSM phone. FreedomPop runs on Sprint in the US. And who told you 4G is discontinued?

trump

chubbypops said:   
  This is a GSM phone. FreedomPop runs on Sprint CDMA network in the US. And who told you 4G is discontinued? This phone will run on 2G, 3G, 4G, and LTE. 2G will be defunct after the end of 2016.

OP asked if it works with FP 3-in-1 sim card with this phone without wifi. The answer is YES. ONLY if you get the correct FP sim (ATT/TMOBILE Service) that MUST include TALK in the description. A lot of misinformation exists about the global 3 in one from FP. There are TWO versions - one is data only, other includes talk that works without wifi being used. Agree the 4G discontinued is crazy. Yes regular FP service does use Sprint but NO Sprint service while using the Global sim. FYI the email received from ATT allowing unlocking includes specific instructions on how to unlock using the existing ATT sim included with this phone.

hi guys, didn't know where to ask this, so apologies for OT in this thread. hoping one of you can help. i got in on the moto e bestbuy deal that was posted in the spring. att go phone. did the unlock code business. was successful. took the unlocked phone on a trip to peru and used a mobistar sim there to have data/call capabilities. returned and only used the phone over wifi as a backup unit.

yesterday i got one of those 1c h20 sims from az, and put in phone. h20 activated it for me on a phone call and gave me a phone number. but phone keeps saying no sim. from h20 website, tried the activating sim thing, where it supposedly sends you a text. i didn't get any message despite numerous tries. h20 said it is because it has no minutes loaded on. that didn't sound right, but no matter. got minutes from callingmart and loaded those onto the phone number. successful. but phone still says no sim, emergency calls only.

h20 cs says "it won't work, you need to get a new device." this makes zero sense to me using even basic logic, even though I am not some cell expert. could someone here please help? i was thinking that perhaps there is some configuration on the phone that needs fixing so that it stops looking for the peruvian sim and recognizes this one -- would i be correct, and if so, what is that fix, please?

deepest thanks.

getgreen said:   hi guys, didn't know where to ask this, so apologies for OT in this thread. hoping one of you can help. i got in on the moto e bestbuy deal that was posted in the spring. att go phone. did the unlock code business. was successful. took the unlocked phone on a trip to peru and used a mobistar sim there to have data/call capabilities. returned and only used the phone over wifi as a backup unit.

yesterday i got one of those 1c h20 sims from az, and put in phone. h20 activated it for me on a phone call and gave me a phone number. but phone keeps saying no sim. from h20 website, tried the activating sim thing, where it supposedly sends you a text. i didn't get any message despite numerous tries. h20 said it is because it has no minutes loaded on. that didn't sound right, but no matter. got minutes from callingmart and loaded those onto the phone number. successful. but phone still says no sim, emergency calls only.

h20 cs says "it won't work, you need to get a new device." this makes zero sense to me using even basic logic, even though I am not some cell expert. could someone here please help? i was thinking that perhaps there is some configuration on the phone that needs fixing so that it stops looking for the peruvian sim and recognizes this one -- would i be correct, and if so, what is that fix, please?

deepest thanks.

& Do you have Cell coverage where you live?

yes. i am in a big city. and i have h20 sims in other phones and they work just fine with no issue. this one keeps saying "no sim in phone". the sim card is fine because h20 had no problem activating it. the sim card slot is fine because the peruvian sim worked. it's an unlocked phone so it's not that, either. so it has go to be something with the configuration where the peruvian sim is locked onto the phone for now.

getgreen said:   yes. i am in a big city. and i have h20 sims in other phones and they work just fine with no issue. this one keeps saying "no sim in phone". the sim card is fine because h20 had no problem activating it. the sim card slot is fine because the peruvian sim worked. it's an unlocked phone so it's not that, either. so it has go to be something with the configuration where the peruvian sim is locked onto the phone for now.
Did you by chance use the Peruvian SIM with an adapter? Just because they have activated the SIM doesn't mean it is good. The number could be free for activation and the card be damaged or defective. If you have a bad contact either on the SIM itself, or in the SIM slot, they would have no way of knowing that. The foreign SIM would have no effect on it once it has been removed. Due to the blind nature of the SIM slot in this phone, it is very easy to damage the contacts in it with an adapter on the SIM. If that has happened, you would probably have to replace the phone since the repair would cost more than the phone. If one of the contacts is bent and not broken, there is a chance of very carefully straightening it. I would start by removing the SIM and trying it in another phone and closely inspecting the contacts in the slot if it works in a different phone. Good luck. I destroyed one once using an adapter, and Motorola actually advises against it in this phone. I would advise against it in any phone myself unless you glue or tape the SIM to the adapter on the back side.If you are making contact, any SIM you insert should be recognized even if incompatible, which yours is not. If that new SIM doesn't work in a different phone then I would also try the SIM from another working phone in your MOTO E. I think you have a physical contact problem. 

no, i didn't use the peruvian sim with an adapter. it was just the small sized sim. this sim does not look damaged. and when i look inside (which as you know it is hard to do with this slot, i can see no bent contact pins.
can i take this sim and put it into another h20 active phone (remove that sim, put this in) and see if it works, or will i need a device not connected with h20 yet to try out this sim? thanks!

You can swap SIMs with another phone you have on h2o.

Can you see the faint lines on the new SIM when you remove it where all of the contact pins have slid over it?

Skipping 24 Messages...
Can anyone suggest any bluetooth headset (for talking on the phone) and speaker? Thanks.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017