Voting History
rated:

offerpage.pdf
Disclaimer

details.jpg
Disclaimer

summary.jpg
Disclaimer
Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards: 100% back on Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Tape, Limit 2, 09/13/2016 - 09/15/2016 UPDATED
Scotch® Heavy-Duty Shipping Tape, 1 7/8" x 54 5/8 Yd., Pack Of 6 Rolls
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/363792/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-S... 
SKU: 363792
$35.99 -- at least for me
Limit 2
Online only

Office Depot Rewards Offer page: http://www.officedepot.com/a/content/loyalty/rewardsoffers/ 

Product page: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/363792/Scotch-Heavy-Duty-Shipping-Tape-1/ 
-- Office Depot is hit or miss notating Rewards offers on product pages
-- Office Depot does not note Rewards offers during check out

Example: At an effective purchase price of $35.99 -- after Rewards, coupons, and Merchandise cards and not including sales tax and shipping, etc. -- the purchase of 1 of this item will earn 3599 Bonus Rewards points ($35.99 x 100). As this offer earns Rewards points, the Rewards payout is subject to 1000 point / $10 payout increments. For example, if no other Rewards points -- standard, bonus or recycling -- are earned for or carried over to the month of September, the Rewards payout will be a Rewards Certificate in the amount of $30. There will be no carry over of the remaining 599 Rewards points to the next month as September 30 is the end of the 3rd quarter. The purchase of 2 of this item at $35.99, $71.98, will earn 7198 Bonus Rewards points which will result in a Rewards payout in the form of a Rewards Certificate of $70. 198 Rewards points to expire September 30.

The item information comes from the "Account Detail" of the line item "100% Back in Rewards on Scotch Heavy-Duty Shipping Tape (9/13-9/15)" found in the "Account Summary" under the category "Promotions in Progress" for the month of September in the Rewards Account:
9/13-9/15: 100% Back in Rewards on Scotch Heavy-Duty Shipping Tape (item# 363792).

Valid online, by phone or fax only. Limit 2 offers per member. This offer cannot be combined with other Bonus Reward offers on the same or similar products and services.

Note 1: This is a percentage (100%) back in Bonus Rewards offer. Percentage back in rewards offers pay out in points which are subject to 1000 point / $10 payout increments. The percentage back in Bonus Rewards points will be noted in the "Purchase Details" of the transaction in the Rewards Account "Purchase History" when the transactions posts which should be a day or two after the order ships. The Rewards Certificates from all points offers will be made available in the middle of the month in the month following the purchase.

Note 2: Per the terms of the program, Rewards earned -- and hence Rewards payouts -- are reduced by the extent the rewards purchase is paid for with Rewards, coupons or Merchandise Cards.

Note 3: Do not purchase stamps in the same transaction. For some reason, purchasing stamps in the same transaction as percentage back in Rewards items reduces the amount of Rewards earned.

TERMS: Bonus Rewards: 100% back in Rewards on Scotch® Heavy Duty Shipping Tape: Valid online, by phone or fax from 9/13/16 – 9/15/16 11:59 PM ET or while supplies last, whichever occurs first. Limit 2 offers per member. This offer cannot be combined with other Bonus Reward offers on the same or similar products and services.

Member Summary

scotch tape
Thanks Kcarlsen21
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Made available mid-October, valid until 11:59 PM Eastern on December 31, 2016.

bpvh (Sep. 15, 2016 @ 10:46p) |

This rebate has a quick turnaround time. I mailed it in on 9/15 and today (9/26) -- just 11 days later -- I received a c... (more)

MrVietnam (Sep. 26, 2016 @ 6:18p) |

Thanks for the update.

bpvh (Sep. 26, 2016 @ 6:21p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

UPDATED.

Is $35 their normal price, or just because it's 100% rewards back so they jacked it up?

Just checked on Amazon, it's selling for $16.88 right now.

Any coupons available to reduce the tax liability? I completed a receipt survey for $10 off a $50 office supply purchase, so I will apply that code when it comes in my e-mail. It will save me 80 cents off tax. If you buy nothing else, since they only pay out in $10 increments these six packs will cost $1 plus tax on $72 wyb 2.

I'm not following OD rebates closely but this is the first one I noticed that advertises 100% that is not really 100%. In the past batteries and scotch tape was really 100% back. Did OD change the process?

Still very good deal at $1.98+tax for 12 rolls, of course.

Yoksel said:   I'm not following OD rebates closely but this is the first one I noticed that advertises 100% that is not really 100%. In the past batteries and scotch tape was really 100% back. Did OD change the process?

You're paying tax on $71.98, not $1.98.
And when you redeem the $70 rewards, you pay tax AGAIN on the $70 (unlike Staples rewards).

At 8% sales tax, that would be $11.36 in tax.

Not to say this isn't a good deal if you need tape. But I wouldn't get it if I didn't need it, thinking it was free.

Yoksel said:   I'm not following OD rebates closely but this is the first one I noticed that advertises 100% that is not really 100%. In the past batteries and scotch tape was really 100% back. Did OD change the process?

I remember the batteries always pay out on a separate check (but they are advertised as one cent, not 100% back). In the recent past at least I do believe that 100% back offers didn't have a separate pay out and are subject to payout in $10 increments. This is still a good deal as you say for $1.98 for 12 rolls but there is a substantial hit for sales tax (8% in my parts). So tax on $72 is $5.76 for me. So $1.98 plus $5.76 makes the 12 rolls of tape $7.74 for me, or 65 cents a roll. Still a really good deal if you need (or want) that much packaging tape.

The last one I did was when they had Avery labels and Scotch tape on the same day and it paid full 100%. I agree about the sales tax hit. This can be partially offset by using a proper credit card. I used quite a bit of this tape recently when moving but still have plenty so I'll probably skip this time. I'm just more concerned if they changed the approach to payouts and will continue with this somewhat misleading way. Of course, reading bpvh's posts carefully helps mitigate this issue.

The Office Depot rewards programs introduced Rewards points in 2013. Prior to that, Office Depot bonys rewards offers paid out to the penny as there were no points to be earned.

Since the introduction of Rewards points, Office Depot has had a variety of different type of bonus rewards offers -- remember Rewards Bucks -- but they were either of the point variety or the non-point variety. At the moment there appear to be three type of bonus rewards offers:

• Percentage back in bonus rewards offers (e.g. 100% back in rewards): All percentage back in rewards offers earn Rewards points.
  • Fixed bonus rewards offers that pay out separately: Advertised as "Pay X, Get back Y in Rewards". The indicator is that the terms of the offer include the term "These rewards will be issued as a separate reward certificate from your Program reward certificate". These offers pay out to the penny in the form of a separate Rewards Certificate. This offer is equivalent to the now disused Rewards Buck offers.
  • Fixed bonus rewards offers that pay out in Rewards points: Advertised as "Pay X, Get back Y in Rewards" but there is no separate payout term in the terms.

All Rewards offers that earn Rewards points -- standard 10% on ink, toner, paper, and copy/print; bonus (fixed/point); and recycling -- are paid out in the monthly Rewards Certificates that are made available in the middle of the month after the month of the transaction.

ADDED:
AFAICT, the above model holds for all Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards program Bonus Rewards offers starting January 01, 2016. While I have not done all the bonus rewards offers, I have done a fair number.
The Office Depot OfficeMax Rewards program has and is running trial rewards programs in various markets. At this time, there is at least one trail running and that is in the Dallas, Tex. area.

MrVietnam said:   

I remember the batteries always pay out on a separate check (but they are advertised as one cent, not 100% back). In the recent past at least I do believe that 100% back offers didn't have a separate pay out and are subject to payout in $10 increments. This is still a good deal as you say for $1.98 for 12 rolls but there is a substantial hit for sales tax (8% in my parts). So tax on $72 is $5.76 for me. So $1.98 plus $5.76 makes the 12 rolls of tape $7.74 for me, or 65 cents a roll. Still a really good deal if you need (or want) that much packaging tape.

Battery offers since January 2016 have been both 100% back and 1c after rewards although mostly 1c after rewards. The 100% back offers paid out as points and the 1c after rewards offers paid out in separate Rewards Certificates.

100% back:
Week of 04/24: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1493464/ 

1c after rewards (Pay $13.99 get back $13.98 in rewards with separate payout noted in the terms):
Week of 08/28: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1522723 
Week of 07/24: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1514789 
Week of 06/05: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1503489 
Week of 03/27: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1488247/ 
etc.

Yoksel said:   The last one I did was when they had Avery labels and Scotch tape on the same day and it paid full 100%. I agree about the sales tax hit. This can be partially offset by using a proper credit card. I used quite a bit of this tape recently when moving but still have plenty so I'll probably skip this time. I'm just more concerned if they changed the approach to payouts and will continue with this somewhat misleading way. Of course, reading bpvh's posts carefully helps mitigate this issue.
If you want, please provide the date of the offer.

bpvh said:   
Yoksel said:   The last one I did was when they had Avery labels and Scotch tape on the same day and it paid full 100%. I agree about the sales tax hit. This can be partially offset by using a proper credit card. I used quite a bit of this tape recently when moving but still have plenty so I'll probably skip this time. I'm just more concerned if they changed the approach to payouts and will continue with this somewhat misleading way. Of course, reading bpvh's posts carefully helps mitigate this issue.

1/24/16 is when I did it last. Paid out completely.

Your explanation is very thorough and I'm sure is 100% correct, it probably was the type of offer that paid fixed reward.   

od_trial_dallas.pdf
Disclaimer

acctsum.jpg
Disclaimer

purcdets.jpg
Disclaimer
Yoksel said:   
bpvh said:   

Your explanation is very thorough and I'm sure is 100% correct, it probably was the type of offer that paid fixed reward.   

If you received exactly what you paid it happened by coincidence as the 01/24/2016 offer was a 100% back in rewards offer and it definitely paid out in points:

https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=74&threadid=1477708 

See MrVietnam's posts near the end of the thread.

Also see attached.

(The only caveat is that Office Depot has and is using trial rewards programs in various markets. The Dallas, Tex. area is one of those at this time.)

bpvh said:   
Yoksel said:   
bpvh said:   

If you received exactly what you paid it happened by coincidence as the 01/24/2016 offer was a 100% back in rewards offer and it definitely paid out in points:

Also see attached.

(The only caveat is that Office Depot has and is using trial rewards programs in various markets. The Dallas, Tex. area is one of those at this time.)

Then I'm not really sure how it works. It couldn't be a coincidence because the amounts are not even. I bought Avery labels and Scotch tape on 1/24, paid $103.77 and then got $94.77 back which is exactly what I paid before tax.

Oh, I'm looking at this old thread and seems like I had some problems getting the reward. It is possible that I contacted customer service and they issued the rewards manually for the full amount.

od03.jpg
Disclaimer

od02.jpg
Disclaimer

od01.jpg
Disclaimer
Yoksel said:   
bpvh said:   
Yoksel said:   
bpvh said:   

Also see attached.

Then I'm not really sure how it works. It couldn't be a coincidence because the amounts are not even. I bought Avery labels and Scotch tape on 1/24, paid $103.77 and then got $94.77 back which is exactly what I paid before tax.

First, let me reiterate that Office Depot has and is running trial rewards programs in various markets. These trial markets have different rules regarding how rewards are earned and how and when rewards are paid out.

For those not in trial markets, at least since the start of 2016, percentage back in rewards offers have been points offers. Points offers pay out in 1000 point / $10 increments. The 01/24/2016 offer was a percentage back in rewards offer -- 100% back in rewards -- so it earned points and as I said, the payouts from points offers are subject to 1000 point / $10 increments.

My purchases from this offer earned 20,474 points (od01). I also earned 2,000 points from recycling for a total of 22,474 (od02). When the Rewards Certificates from all January Rewards points offers were made available in mid February, I received $220 in rewards from the payout out of 22,000 points. The remaining 474 points carried over to February (od03).

It is possible you were in a trial market in January or for that matter still are in a trial market. Do you recall when you received the Rewards Certificate from the 01/24 offer?

Yoksel said:   Oh, I'm looking at this old thread and seems like I had some problems getting the reward. It is possible that I contacted customer service and they issued the rewards manually for the full amount.
Good to know.

niniss said:   Is $35 their normal price, or just because it's 100% rewards back so they jacked it up?

Just checked on Amazon, it's selling for $16.88 right now.

Amaezon's list price $36.49, so I guess that's not jacked up.

tape_rebate.pdf
Disclaimer
The SDer hunhun found a rebate that applies to this item.

If only using the item from this deal to submit for the rebate, it will require 3x 6packs of the tape.

For this Scotch rebate, the only proof of purchase required is the UPC codes from the items. The price of the item to get to the $125 required by the rebate is determined by the list price on the rebate form not the actual purchase price. No purchase receipt is required.

bpvh said:   The SDer hunhun found a rebate that applies to this item.

If only using the item from this deal to submit for the rebate, it will require 3x 6packs of the tape.

For this Scotch rebate, the only proof of purchase required is the UPC codes from the items. The price of the item to get to the $125 required by the rebate is determined by the list price on the rebate form not the actual purchase price. No purchase receipt is required.

Good news for me. I did this packaging tape deal (100% back in rewards) the last time it was offered from Office Depot, so I have two unopened 6 packs of tape sitting in my garage. If I buy the limit of 2 on this 100% back offer then I can just use the UPC from one of the 6-packs I previously bought and then I have the 3 UPCs needed and and an easy $25 back. That will pay for the $1.98 the tape will cost me OOP wyb 2 (after rewards) and the sales tax of $4.96 plus give me a healthy MM (around $18). Thanks for the HU, bpvh.

I wonder how long you could let this tape sit before it starts becoming less sticky and effective when used? I don't actually need more tape but because it will be a MM for me after rewards and rebate, what the heck.

One question about the rebate: It claims to be for an eGift Card, but yet no where on the rebate form does it even ask for your e-mail address. They just ask for a street address. ???

MrVietnam said:   

Good news for me. I did this packaging tape deal (100% back in rewards) the last time it was offered from Office Depot, so I have two unopened 6 packs of tape sitting in my garage. If I buy the limit of 2 on this 100% back offer then I can just use the UPC from one of the 6-packs I previously bought and then I have the 3 UPCs needed and and an easy $25 back. That will pay for the $1.98 the tape will cost me OOP wyb 2 (after rewards) and the sales tax of $4.96 plus give me a healthy MM (around $18). Thanks for the HU, bpvh.

I wonder how long you could let this tape sit before it starts becoming less sticky and effective when used? I don't actually need more tape but because it will be a MM for me after rewards and rebate, what the heck.

One question about the rebate: It claims to be for an eGift Card, but yet no where on the rebate form does it even ask for your e-mail address. They just ask for a street address. ???

It says "use the reward code located on the back of your card to choose an eGift card from hundreds of available retailers."

So it sounds like they will mail you a physical reward code that lets you obtain an eGift card online. The available retailers is at: www.prizelabs.com/3Moffer

gd78 said:   
MrVietnam said:   

It says "use the reward code located on the back of your card to choose an eGift card from hundreds of available retailers."

So it sounds like they will mail you a physical reward code that lets you obtain an eGift card online. The available retailers is at: www.prizelabs.com/3Moffer

Thanks. Sounds like a roundabout way of doing it though.

This is amazing! I currently have 3 3850-6 packs sitting so I'm good to go on the first submission. They allow 6 per mailing address during the course of the promo. I guess after all I will be buying more tape from Office Depot! Thank you, bpvh!  

Do I get it right that we should get the certs issued some time mid-October and they'll be good till the end of November?

I notice the rebate form requires a company name.

If you bought Duracell batteries the last time they did the 1 cent after rewards deal, the rewards are now available to print out.

MrVietnam said:   I notice the rebate form requires a company name.
It does. I put my name second time.  

Yoksel said:   Do I get it right that we should get the certs issued some time mid-October and they'll be good till the end of November?
Made available mid-October, valid until 11:59 PM Eastern on December 31, 2016.

This rebate has a quick turnaround time. I mailed it in on 9/15 and today (9/26) -- just 11 days later -- I received a card in the mail with a redemption website and rewards code to enter on the site. The site for redemption is www.prizelabs.com/scratchwin. The e-gift card is ready to print out immediately after you choose it. No waiting for the gift card to arrive in your e-mail. There are a bunch of gift cards to choose from. I got a $25 WalMart eGift card. I am hoping Office Depot has the 100% back for shipping tape offer one more time before yea rend so I can get one more $25 gift card, but I know that probably isn't going to happen. This deal turned out to be a healthy MM. Thanks again OP for the HU.

MrVietnam said:   

This rebate has a quick turnaround time. I mailed it in on 9/15 and today (9/26) -- just 11 days later -- I received a card in the mail with a redemption website and rewards code to enter on the site. The site for redemption is www.prizelabs.com/scratchwin. The e-gift card is ready to print out immediately after you choose it. No waiting for the gift card to arrive in your e-mail. There are a bunch of gift cards to choose from. I got a $25 WalMart eGift card. I am hoping Office Depot has the 100% back for shipping tape offer one more time before yea rend so I can get one more $25 gift card, but I know that probably isn't going to happen.

Thanks for the update.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017