TaoTao ATM50-A1 Gas Street Legal Scooter (Black) - $599.99 w/ FS @ Newegg

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

tao tao scooter
Disclaimer
Newegg has the TaoTao ATM50-A1 Gas Street Legal Scooter (Black) on sale for $599.99 with free shipping. This scooter has received 4/5 eggs based on 9 Newegg customer reviews.

• Black in Color
  • 50cc Engine
  • Top Speed 40 MPH
  • Fully Automatic
  • Headlight, Turn Signals, Tail Light + Horn
  • Under Seat Lockable Storage
  • Air Cooled
  • Electric w/ Keys, Kick Start Back Up
  • 1.8 HP
  • CDI Ignition
  • Drum Rear Brakes
  • Disc Front Brakes

This scooter is currently selling in Black on Amazon for $778.99 shipped and has received 3.7/5 stars based on 113 Amazon customer reviews.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Mopeds are 50cc.  Scooter is a motorcycle format that runs all the way up to 850cc or so.  There are TONS of 125-150cc V... (more)

RedWolfe01 (Sep. 20, 2016 @ 2:58a) |

How is the battery? How long it can used?

stacytaylorninja (Sep. 20, 2016 @ 3:04a) |

Do your homework before you go buy a scoot. I would never buy a chinese made scooter such as this one. There are a milli... (more)

trickflow (Sep. 28, 2016 @ 1:16p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

how come under "Engine" it list as 25mph top speed?

Need any of those crazy government stuff?  insurance and crap?

WorkerAnt said:   how come under "Engine" it list as 25mph top speed?
  I see 40MPH. I do not see a 50cc engine going over 40MPH. 

Neilium said:   

This is what I see:

Engine Size:
  49 cc
Start Type: Electric with keys, kick start back up
Transmission: Fully Automatic
Drive: CVT
HP: 1.8
Cooling: Air Cooled
Ignition: CDI
Top Speed: 25 MPH (42KM/H)

I have one of their 50cc model, it will do 40 on flat ground. Never had an issue with mine other than letting it sit too long and the battery dying.

These are $600-$700 any day of the week. The best deal "was $1,600" claim is absurd.

WorkerAnt said:   
Neilium said:   

This is what I see:

Engine Size:

49 cc
Start Type: Electric with keys, kick start back up
Transmission: Fully Automatic
Drive: CVT
HP : 1.8
Cooling: Air Cooled
Ignition: CDI
Top Speed: 25 MPH (42KM/H)

Uh 1.8 HP?  Is top speed of 25 with 100 lb sole driver?

Add in insurance, helmet and daily prayers for not getting run over slow tuk tuk death-cycle!

Also:

*Not for sale in California or Texas
*Titling: The name that is placed on the order is the ONLY name that can be put on the MCO for titling. Make sure the name on the order is the name you want the title in.

"requires all motor scooters and mopeds to be titled and insured. All motor scooter and moped operators must hold a valid driver's license or a moped operator's permit and wear a helmet and eye protection. All motor scooters must display a title decal on the rear of the vehicle."

dam, that's a deal breaker for me.

My barber has something like this. He doesn't have a license plate on it and has been driving it that way for years. I wouldn't do that but apparently he gets away with it.

Such a lot of hassle just to ride a moped.

California I can understand, but what do they have against Texas?

gremln007 said:   My barber has something like this. He doesn't have a license plate on it and has been driving it that way for years. I wouldn't do that but apparently he gets away with it.
Owners and law enforcement are a bit confused on licensing and insurance on scooters in general.  That's because the laws are sometimes written in a vague manner that leads to different interpretations.

@Logan71 I personally would not ride a moped or scooter in Texas. Most roads don't have any shoulder to speak of and often have drainage ditches running along roads. People would blow by you so fast, the wind would push you into the ditch LOL But yeah, I m surprised they sided with Kalifornia on that one.

State laws do vary regarding motor scooters / mopeds, and I was getting ready to say that Maryland's laws are actually very lenient - but not anymore. As of 2012 mopeds in MD require titling, insurance and head and/or eye protection. As far as I remember before 2012 any moped (with a body style that you could easily swing your legs through) required none of the above. Next will be a special moped license endorsement and mandatory classes...

I definitely shouldn't be surprised anymore when MD laws become more restrictive (and conveniently result in more state revenue).

ManuFact said:   State laws do vary regarding motor scooters / mopeds, and I was getting ready to say that Maryland's laws are actually very lenient - but not anymore. As of 2012 mopeds in MD require titling, insurance and head and/or eye protection. As far as I remember before 2012 any moped (with a body style that you could easily swing your legs through) required none of the above. Next will be a special moped license endorsement and mandatory classes...

I definitely shouldn't be surprised anymore when MD laws become more restrictive (and conveniently result in more state revenue).

I think the death from vehicle/ped collision also increasing in MD.  Very stupid to put up a "STOP" sign and tell the pedestrian the 50mph 3 ton vehicle won't and impossible to hit you because it's against the law.

I think this scooter is illegal to ride on the sidewalk too correct?  since it's motorized?

sesquipedalian said:   
gremln007 said:   My barber has something like this. He doesn't have a license plate on it and has been driving it that way for years. I wouldn't do that but apparently he gets away with it.
Owners and law enforcement are a bit confused on licensing and insurance on scooters in general.  That's because the laws are sometimes written in a vague manner that leads to different interpretations.

It also depends on the state.

In my state, pretty sure if it is 50cc-or-less AND governed to 25 mph, it doesn't require a license to operate, and you have to keep it to surface streets (i.e. no interstate or divided highways).

The restricted scooters, like that, are very popular with the DUI crowd for that reason, since it represents legal, powered, transportation for them.
(I sat in court for a speeding ticket, and saw a number of motor scooter related tickets for guys that were going > 25 mph without a license because they had un-governed their moped)

Georgia Law for scooters/mopeds 50cc or under says you don't have to register or get a tag(plate), but you DO have a have driver's license and DO have to wear a helmet. If it's over 50cc you must register it and you must have a motorcycle license.

These are great for college campuses and planned communities.

I didn't know these were so cheap! I thought they were a few thousand. Work is three miles away. I could fill up the tank once a season!

How many years does a $600 scooter last?

This is a really stupid question, but can you get killed easy going 25 miles an hour?

EDIT:  I'm now looking at the electric one on Amazon for $635.00  prrrrrrrrrrr

kingaroonie said:   I didn't know these were so cheap! I thought they were a few thousand. Work is three miles away. I could fill up the tank once a season!

This is a really stupid question, but can you get killed easy going 25 miles an hour?

EDIT:  I'm now looking at the electric one on Amazon for $635.00  prrrrrrrrrrr

If you go outside and stand still in the street you're going 0mph. You can get killed at any speed. 

kingaroonie said:   I didn't know these were so cheap! I thought they were a few thousand. Work is three miles away. I could fill up the tank once a season!

EDIT:  I'm now looking at the electric one on Amazon for $635.00  prrrrrrrrrrr

Depends on how fast the other guy is going.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Landscaper on mower hit by car in Ridge dies, police say
Updated September 15, 2016 5:17 PM
By Newsday Staff

WorkerAnt;19633324 said:I think the death from vehicle/ped collision also increasing in MD.  Very stupid to put up a "STOP" sign and tell the pedestrian the 50mph 3 ton vehicle won't and impossible to hit you because it's against the law.

I think this scooter is illegal to ride on the sidewalk too correct?  since it's motorized?

The ped rate of death would definitely increase with these things on sidewalks      And I personally always encourage pedestrian awareness and common sense, unless your intention is to end up like some sort of non-symmetric Rorschach image.

This site seems like a good reference for state moped laws:  http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Moped_laws  They have MD updated so I would hope it's at least accurate to four years ago across the board...

I've entertained having a scooter in the past but nowadays I'd only bite if I'm in a right time / right place / right price sort of situation with one. Money I'd burn on a new scooter could go towards a real bike, ya know?  

In Washington state if it goes over 30mph or is over 50cc it requires a motorcycle license.  That's the reason "scooters" are all 50cc or less and about 25-30mph rated top speed.  I bet a lot of states do the same thing.  Looks like they meant 40km/h.

Logan71 said:   California I can understand, but what do they have against Texas?

My guess would be they can't sell a motor vehicle without a franchise license issued by TX.  Just like Tesla, you have to buy it out of state.

Texas requires a license, but you can get one at 15.  Also Texas plates and titles them just like a normal vehicle.  I rode a scooter in high school, in TX.  (and no, I didn't get laid in high school, but not blaming the scooter)

NC does not title them, but has a document similar to a trailer -- issues a permanent plate.  Does not require a license or insurance.  (but the insurance is changing)  I see them ALL the time in Charlotte.  I ride a 400cc scooter in Charlotte, its sometime funny when people don't realize the difference and expect to pass me after a light change.  (a 400 can go over 100MPH)

Local dealer sells this particular moped for $659 in the crate, FWIW.

---
Oh yeah, Texas considers these motor-assisted bicycles -- they can use bicycle lanes but not sidewalks.  (no motorized vehicles on sidewalks)

badcrcs said:   

In Washington state if it goes over 30mph or is over 50cc it requires a motorcycle license.  That's the reason "scooters" are all 50cc or less and about 25-30mph rated top speed.  I bet a lot of states do the same thing.  Looks like they meant 40km/h.

Mopeds are 50cc.  Scooter is a motorcycle format that runs all the way up to 850cc or so.  There are TONS of 125-150cc Vespas and clones around.  BMW and Suzuki make popular (for scooters) 650 versions, I have a BMW 650 in Dallas.

I would say the most common scooter is the 125, which does require a license everywhere I know of.

They said 42 KM/H yes.  

How is the battery? How long it can used?

Do your homework before you go buy a scoot. I would never buy a chinese made scooter such as this one. There are a million different brands out of china and they are cheap and unreliable. I personally owned a Kymco Xciting 250cc and then the 500cc later. Kymco is a good quality Korean brand. Great gas milage, looked great, great pickup. I personally would suggest the 250cc being the best. My 250cc scoot got 70+ mpg (little 50ccs get around 100+mpg), way faster acceleration than a car, and could ride comfortably all day at 55mph. The only difference with that and the 500cc was a higher top speed but it got 50mpg and was heavier. Honda also makes famously high quality scooters as well.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017