• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
that's actually a great price for solid bamboo.  if you buy, just an FYI to remember that you need shorter nails and a different nailer than you do with normal 3/4" hardwood flooring.

rated:
Can someone offer some advice?

Wife wants "wood floors" at least a couple of rooms. We live frugally, so the last upgrade was carpet in most of the house instead.

It seems that every wood/wood-like flooring has it's drawbacks.

I understand that Bamboo is high on the hardness scale, so maybe it won't scratch/be damaged so easily.

Hardwood, though pricey and 'repairable', cannot survive getting wet.

Laminates might survive a water spill, but I'm uncertain of their weakness (wear? unable to spot repair?)

In addition, I've seen markdowns on very thin wood flooring (3/8") but the thicker (1/2"+) must mean better in some way, as its rarely discounted heavily.

Vinyl "it looks like wood" flooring is inexpensive, but again, who knows how it would look/wear many months later. I've seen at least once case of it 'bubbling up' and looking bad.

Any input would be welcome. I don't want to put myself in a situation where "Oh crap, now we have to call a professional to fix XXXX because we didn't think of YYYY"

I appreciate it..

rated:
Daughter has bamboo flooring and it looks very nice. Thanks, OP!

rated:
Logan71 said:   Can someone offer some advice?

Wife wants "wood floors" at least a couple of rooms. We live frugally, so the last upgrade was carpet in most of the house instead.

I understand that Bamboo is high on the hardness scale, so maybe it won't scratch/be damaged so easily.

Laminates might survive a water spill, but I'm uncertain of their weakness (wear? unable to spot repair?)

In addition, I've seen markdowns on very thin wood flooring (3/8") but the thicker (1/2"+) must mean better in some way, as its rarely discounted heavily.

Vinyl "it looks like wood" flooring is inexpensive, but again, who knows how it would look/wear many months later. I've seen at least once case of it 'bubbling up' and looking bad.

Any input would be welcome. I don't want to put myself in a situation where "Oh crap, now we have to call a professional to fix XXXX because we didn't think of YYYY"

I appreciate it..

Depends on what part of the country you are in and what you are installing the floor on. Is it a concrete sub floor? First floor, second floor, or basement?

Avoid the vinyl at all costs. It always looks like crap. Even wood-looking tile is better.

rated:
Logan71 said:   Can someone offer some advice?

I appreciate it..

Same boat.  You forgot "Engineered Wood", it is wood and can be refinished once, but thin.

I'm also on a short staying time frame and at my home price point buyers except wood floors, top notch counter tops/cabinets/appliances, so I just live with it instead of trying to chase.  The thought of upgrading, so the next buyers can rip it all out and upgrade again, just makes me delay and I even like to do home improvement tasks.

rated:
Depends on what part of the country you are in and what you are installing the floor on. Is it a concrete sub floor? First floor, second floor, or basement?Avoid the vinyl at all costs. It always looks like crap. Even wood-looking tile is better.

We're in Texas - 1st floor, concrete slab. Fears related to water are more along the lines of window breakage during a thunderstorm, or washing machine leakage, etc, and not so much because of humidity, tracking in snow, etc.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016