This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Owens Corning Garage Door Insulation Kit 8-Panels -GD01 - The Home Depot
Disclaimer
Product Link 

Owens CorningGarage Door Insulation Kit (8-Panels)
•R-8 insulation with a durable, washable white vinyl facing
•Application:  9 ft. single-car uninsulated garage door
•Garage Door Insulation Kit (8-Panels)

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Did anyone install this kit on a double wood garage door? Will it be too heavy for the garage door opener? Thanks!

You should have your springs adjusted / increased if you are adding weight to any garage door. By not tweaking your setup to account for the extra weight, you put more strain on your garage door opener and it will burn out faster (not right away, but after a few years).

jennycoan said:   Did anyone install this kit on a double wood garage door? Will it be too heavy for the garage door opener? Thanks!
  The weight is about the same as cotton which is very light weight.  I would say the whole box or the entire door insulation is about 1 to 2 lbs. 
I never try the styrofoam.  I think the styrofoam would provide a better value (If the 2" thickness is not a problem).  For example, a 2" thick styrofoam gives you R-10 compare to R-8 provided by Owens insulation.

Bought this last time it was on sale - very nice kit, but a few tips. 
1) I added additional spray adhesive to add additional strength - has held up very nicely
2) Quiets the door significantly
3) It DOES add weight, so ensure your garage door opener can handle it. My Genie burned the plastic coupling, but replaced it with a metal version so no issues there.
4) Insulation definitely helps
5) Remember, if you have a two car garage, you need TWO of these kits. 

Overall, very happy with this kit. 

Hi, I have an older garage door w/o metal channels. It's very flimsy, masonite'almost cardboard type door. Could this work? I imagine would entail different install? Maybe a lot more spray adhesive. Thanks

PS-was there free ship on this?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017