This deal has expired.

Best buy Microsoft lumia 640 $26.99

• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Title says it all. Shipping might be tough because it is below the min.

Unlock codes on eBay for $8. Win 10 upgradeable or you can flash the T-Mobile ROM for band 12 support.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cricket-wireless-microsoft-lumia-640... 

Member Summary

Microsoft lumia 640 (20.86kB)
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Thanks op

maskerosaurus (Oct. 19, 2016 @ 1:29a) |

Is there anyway to root it and make it run android?

Retailnever (Oct. 19, 2016 @ 2:50p) |

<LOL>

No.  You can't load Android on an iPhone, either.

RedWolfe01 (Oct. 19, 2016 @ 9:29p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
is it best to unlock before upgrading to windows 10?

rated:
IME yes, best to unlock first by far. the Win 10 update isn't a slam dunk. I ended up rolling back to win 8.1.

These devices are becoming super useless for day to day use due to lack of any real app support. For a small child, or for a travel phone they're bulletproof and can't be beat. As a media player, security/baby cam, you can't beat them.

rated:
Stubtify said:   These devices are becoming super useless for day to day use due to lack of any real app support. For a small child, or for a travel phone they're bulletproof and can't be beat. As a media player, security/baby cam, you can't beat them.
  I agree, I use mine only for a backup to my android phone. App support is really poor. I thought I could make do but found out otherwise...

rated:
If you get one of these and want to unlock it, DO NOT turn it on without first removing the Cricket SIM card. You don't need to replace it with another SIM, just leave the SIM slot empty. You can still set it up for WiFi and complete the initialization process.

Search FatWallet for some good summaries on unlocking AT&T Lumia prepaid phones through AT&T.
This is a powerful piece of hardware for $27. Too bad Microsoft never put the appropriate resources in encouraging Windows Phone app developers.

rated:
Finally they have eBay sellers who are able to get unlock code for Cricket Wireless Microsoft Lumia 640. This is a very recent development. Till mid-September or so, all sellers had 640 model excluded.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Title says it all. Title is missing key info: Locked to Cricket.

rated:
Stubtify said:   
These devices are becoming super useless for day to day use due to lack of any real app support. For a small child, or for a travel phone they're bulletproof and can't be beat. As a media player, security/baby cam, you can't beat them.

I agree. I bought these for my kids. Apps are disappearing by the day. And some of the apps there are not fully functional, and have not been updated in a long time. It's basically limiting what they (13 and 15 year olds) can do with their friends. I have decided to move them to android devices (ZTE Max 2). 

rated:
FatWKing said:   Finally they have eBay sellers who are able to get unlock code for Cricket Wireless Microsoft Lumia 640. This is a very recent development. Till mid-September or so, all sellers had 640 model excluded.
  If you know who unlock this device successfully on eBay, please let me know

rated:
nodochauninja said:   
FatWKing said:   Finally they have eBay sellers who are able to get unlock code for Cricket Wireless Microsoft Lumia 640. This is a very recent development. Till mid-September or so, all sellers had 640 model excluded.
  If you know who unlock this device successfully on eBay, please let me know

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-CODE-CRICKET-MICROSOFT-LUMIA-640-...

rated:
If you don't need/live by apps, it is a great phone. Rock solid, great phone voice quality. I use my primarily for work (calls/txt/email and music player is 99.9% of wha I use it for and I love it. Great battery life, rock solid-I reboot mine once a week just as a custom.

I do agree though it borders upon criminal how badly MS screwed up the viability of these phones. I feel like someone who bought betamax back in the day-a superior system doomed to failure.

rated:
nice phone for the $... great if you can get a free unlock.  Though unlikely, I saw one person claim to get an unlock for a Cricket phone from AT&T.

rated:
Can this be unlocked out of the box and used on Ver!zon or compatible MVNOs?

rated:
givo said:   Can this be unlocked out of the box and used on Ver!zon or compatible MVNOs?
  I thought Verizon used CDMA bands?  Cricket = AT&T = GSM.  And has been mentioned more than once if you bothered to read, it can be unlocked for ~$8 or so from eBay sellers, and probably other sources too.

EDIT:  someone else mentioned a little later that this phone supports both GSM and CDMA, so should work with Verizon after all.

rated:
givo said:   Can this be unlocked out of the box and used on Ver!zon or compatible MVNOs?
It is a GSM phone, thus not compatible with Verizon or Sprint.  

rated:
Any good security cam app?

rated:
I propose that the quick summary for every phone deal could include:

This phone is: Locked/Unlocked/can be unlocked
This phone is: GSM/CDMA/both
Works with: Verizon/Sprint/T-mo/ATT/.../R+

rated:

rated:
Thanks OP

rated:
looking for a verizon type smartphone similar to my att lg escape 2 , any suggestions ? thanks also has to be cdma to go on verizons network

rated:
can i unlock this phone and put on my verizon cell phone plan ?  thanks 

rated:
henryj1 said:   can i unlock this phone and put on my verizon cell phone plan ?  thanks 
 OMG are you kidding???

rated:
don't update to win10 because you can't use HERE DRIVE++. HERE DRIVE works only with win phone 8.1

rated:
No tethering on Cricket version of Lumia 640.

(even if you have a phone that supports tethering, Cricket charges $10/month)

rated:
cr3s said:   don't update to win10 because you can't use HERE DRIVE++. HERE DRIVE works only with win phone 8.1

True, but Win 10 has a replacement app ("Maps") built in with mostly the same functionality and uses the same downloadable offline maps. Win 10 lets you move the maps to an SD card- with Win 8.1 the maps stay in device memory and the 640's 8GB can't fit the entire USA map. The Win 10 app is far less finger friendly though, so it's a little harder to use as a dedicated in-car GPS (one of my many 640s is doing duty as an in-car GPS, using offline maps and a free 200MB/month FreedomPop SIM for traffic updates.)

rated:
mrcamp said:   
Stubtify said:   

I agree. I bought these for my kids. Apps are disappearing by the day. And some of the apps there are not fully functional, and have not been updated in a long time. It's basically limiting what they (13 and 15 year olds) can do with their friends. I have decided to move them to android devices (ZTE Max 2). 

That's pretty sad if kids don't know what they can do with friends. Parents are clueless too?

rated:
Does Microsoft Maps include spoken street names? I tried to figure it out from their app store but couldn't. HERE no longer has it on Android which really limits its usefulness. I had thought of using HERE all the time (on Android) with data, so I'd be used to it when I went to no-data locations. But without spoken street names I can't.

Thanks!
=aw

rated:
This is a fantastic deal if you don't care about apps (which I don't). Call quality is great, smooth scrolling, and the Mp3 player is worth the price of admission. Also, news, email, and Netflix works great. I also get great photos out of this thing, rivaling my wife's (older) iPhone. So for getting something pretty basic, you can't beat it.

rated:
po90260 said:   
mrcamp said:   
Stubtify said:   

That's pretty sad if kids don't know what they can do with friends. Parents are clueless too?

Perhaps the kids like to play video games with each other, hence the parent's desire for a decent, inexpensive device for them? That's not to say that they can't do other things, but playing video games is fun and it's fun to do with friends. I'm 40-years old and I used to rent NES games every weekend with friends when I was in middle school. I have photos from when I was in elementary school of my best friend and I posing in front of the TV after we got a high score in an Atari or Intellivision game. Would it be healthy to also do other things? Of course. But people have things they like to do and video gaming is one of those things.

rated:
dlk9s said:   
po90260 said:   
mrcamp said:   
Stubtify said:   

Perhaps the kids like to play video games with each other, hence the parent's desire for a decent, inexpensive device for them? That's not to say that they can't do other things, but playing video games is fun and it's fun to do with friends. I'm 40-years old and I used to rent NES games every weekend with friends when I was in middle school. I have photos from when I was in elementary school of my best friend and I posing in front of the TV after we got a high score in an Atari or Intellivision game. Would it be healthy to also do other things? Of course. But people have things they like to do and video gaming is one of those things.

Thanks for responding to that poster. I thought it was a waste of my time trying to respond to someone that seems clueless. 

rated:
Anyone tried the $8 eBay unlock on this phone?

rated:
Put this address in 'Maps' and check where it thinks one should exit their vehicle.  Hint: Dave and Busters is NOT located on the 100ft tall 805 onramp

2931 Camino Del Rio N, San Diego, CA 92108

rated:
This phone sucks had for one week I
'm selling mine on eBay

rated:
Nobody has mentioned it, but the 640's camera is very good. Sharp pictures for the MPs. A solid phone, except for apps. I had the 521, while my wife has had the 520, 635 and 640. All great performers hardware-wise.

rated:
2tiger said:   This phone sucks had for one week I
'm selling mine on eBay

Good for you, you'll find that you can sell it for more than you bought it for. (Can't say that about many other phones). 

rated:
cr3s said:   don't update to win10 because you can't use HERE DRIVE++. HERE DRIVE works only with win phone 8.1
  Windows phone fans, but this one is a blockbuster of the wrong kind: HERE announced this week that it will pull its location and navigation apps from the Windows 10 Store on March 29. And it will never again update the apps or their maps on Windows Phone 8.  https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/65321/here-drops-s...

rated:
wow, that's the last straw.. darn it. I liked HERE apps.

rated:
Thanks.
I will give them a try.
I got a refund a couple weeks ago by another seller.

rated:
Picked up two of these for my in-laws - they are still stuck on some decades old flip phones. I will report back with success rate of eBay unlock codes...

Skipping 19 Messages...
rated:
Retailnever said:   Is there anyway to root it and make it run android?

<LOL>

No.  You can't load Android on an iPhone, either.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016