• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Posted with ToGo

Philips Hue Starter Kit - Wireless Lighting Set w/ 2 LED Light Bulbs + $50 Dell GC
$129.98
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/a9076078?sku=A9076078&dgc

Member Summary

Philips (21.26kB)
Thanks TheRedBaaron
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
FYI - These are WHITE bulbs and not color changing bulbs. For white bulbs these are way overpriced. You can also pick up this starter pack, without the dimmer for $69 on Amazon. So you're basically paying $60 for the wireless dimmer which can be picked up for $33 on Amazon right now. So, unless you really need a $50 Dell gift card this isn't much of a deal.

rated:
Occasional said:   FYI - These are WHITE bulbs and not color changing bulbs. For white bulbs these are way overpriced. You can also pick up this starter pack, without the dimmer for $69 on Amazon. So you're basically paying $60 for the wireless dimmer which can be picked up for $33 on Amazon right now. So, unless you really need a $50 Dell gift card this isn't much of a deal.

Just to clarify, this kit contains the White Ambiance bulbs (usually $30 each), not the plain White bulbs (usually $15 each). Main difference is brighter max lumens from the top of bulb (same overall max), different shape, and the main selling point, is they can replicate a huge swath of shades of white (very warm to very cool). This was important to me to be able to specify color temperature (and change as desired).

Ambiance White bulbs fill the role of someone wanting to adjust kind of white light being generated but without paying $20 more per bulb to get the full range of colors (blue/red/green).

Really good price (if you value the Dell card) on the kit if you're looking to get into the Hue system and don't see a need for random colors, but want bright white at times, warm white at others, etc. The dimmer is pretty Handy and is rated to 25k clicks, so even at 10 presses per day that's 6-7 years nominal battery life (ymmv) and it takes a standard CR battery.

rated:
jarfykk said:   
Occasional said:   FYI - These are WHITE bulbs and not color changing bulbs. For white bulbs these are way overpriced. You can also pick up this starter pack, without the dimmer for $69 on Amazon. So you're basically paying $60 for the wireless dimmer which can be picked up for $33 on Amazon right now. So, unless you really need a $50 Dell gift card this isn't much of a deal.

Just to clarify, this kit contains the White Ambiance bulbs (usually $30 each), not the plain White bulbs (usually $15 each). Main difference is brighter max lumens from the top of bulb (same overall max), different shape, and the main selling point, is they can replicate a huge swath of shades of white (very warm to very cool). This was important to me to be able to specify color temperature (and change as desired).

Ambiance White bulbs fill the role of someone wanting to adjust kind of white light being generated but without paying $20 more per bulb to get the full range of colors (blue/red/green).

Really good price (if you value the Dell card) on the kit if you're looking to get into the Hue system and don't see a need for random colors, but want bright white at times, warm white at others, etc. The dimmer is pretty Handy and is rated to 25k clicks, so even at 10 presses per day that's 6-7 years nominal battery life (ymmv) and it takes a standard CR battery.

Good info, J.  Thanks for clarifying.  Looks like a pretty cool idea.

rated:
Why do we nee that?

rated:
nodochau said:   Why do we nee that?

A better question is why did you click the topic if you DON'T?

rated:

I really have the same question, but in a different form might be better - "How can this make my life better?".  Without digging through all the specs, in a few words, what does this offer me that will change my life for $129?  That's a lot for replacement of bulbs so I assume there must be some good benefits.

rated:
scrab4deal said:   

I really have the same question, but in a different form might be better - "How can this make my life better?".  Without digging through all the specs, in a few words, what does this offer me that will change my life for $129?  That's a lot for replacement of bulbs so I assume there must be some good benefits.

Remote control + variable white temperature.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016