• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Add any 2 to cart

Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Gen) (Black) 
Amazon Echo Dot (2nd Gen) (White) 

Add any filler to bring total to above $100 (Ex. Permanent marker - $0.86 )

Use coupon code 97080 to reflect discount in cart

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
In the kitchen as a timer (multiple timers), "how many fluid ounces in a 2 liter bottle", "how many teaspoons in a table... (more)

jmace57 (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 9:23a) |

Interesting - the code is dead..and suddenly the items are back in stock...

jmace57 (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 7:53p) |

I'm with you - I can see Amazon and other stores having this as a door buster / prime member early deal.

CPAESQ (Nov. 02, 2016 @ 8:55p) |

Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just got a 2-pack from HSN from a prior deal. It's really a great product.
(already have a full-sized Echo)

rated:
Ditto. Just installed my new echo dot. If you don't need the full size speaker and your ears can't tell the difference between a Bose and a Nakamichi, the dot is loud enough for a small room. YOU DO NOT NEED THE FULL SIZE ECHO for this to work. This works solo - an internet connection and an outlet.

rated:
Thanks OP. Worked perfectly.
Been using my Echo Dot for a week now (pre-ordered on Amazon and it was on my doorstep the day of release) and love it. 
It is easy to set up - link to wi-fi via the Alexa app and you are good to go - no other Echo device is needed.
The built in speaker is fine for kitchen or bedside use but the Dot also connects easily to a larger speaker set up if you prefer. Linking to your own accounts on Pandora or Spotify was simple and works perfectly.
It didn't take long for me to decide to get a few more as gifts and this deal works out better than Amazon's Buy 5 Get 1 Free promotion.
For anyone who hasn't tried the Echo Dot, now is the time to jump in. Highly recommended even at the regular price.

rated:
The coupon also works for the Echo, making it $159.99. The lowest recorded price at Amazon is $149.99 from November last year.

rated:
got 2 more, these are gonna be spread out around the house. Thanks.

rated:
I don't have connected devices .... can you tell me 5 other things I can use Dot for? (I'm just trying to learn ... not implying anything)

rated:
Snagged 2 thanks ctgolfer!   I have an echo in my kitchen, but I wanted these for the basement and upstairs bedroom. 

rated:
You can go to the Amazon website to see what the echo is all about.  There are also a lot of you tube videos.  Just remember that not everything is for everybody.  If after going to Amazon you don't see a need then that's fine.  Echo has only been out for less than 2 years.  Civilization did just fine without it.  I love it and when i was under hurricane watch one of my priorities was to ensure her safety.  

rated:
Kikkoman said:   I don't have connected devices .... can you tell me 5 other things I can use Dot for? (I'm just trying to learn ... not implying anything)
  
If you have a home internet connection, then you have connected devices - computers, tablets, smartphones. You don't have to have connected appliances and lighting to get good use out of the Dot.

Some quick examples from my own experience:
I use the Dot to listen to my Pandora stations. This allows me to bypass using my iPad, phone or tablet to tap into Pandora (or your music provider of choice).
I use the Dot as an alarm - quick and easy to say "Alexa, wake me up at 6 am" or "Alexa wake me up in 20 minutes" when I need a quick nap.
I use it for local weather and traffic information several times a day.
I use it to remind me of my daily calendar and things to do list.
I ask it questions multiple times a day - everything from sports scores to help with recipes while cooking.
All of these are using the Echo Dot on its own with no connection to anything other than the Internet. I'll eventually add lighting control but am in no hurry. 
Those are just my uses. I'm sure others will chime in with dozens more.

At this price point it is well worth a try.
I think you'll be surprised - not to mention amazed - at how much you'll use it.

Edited to add:
Almost forgot - Alexa reads me books from my library when I am busy multitasking, i.e. ironing, doing laundry, etc..
This is also a great device for the technically challenged or anyone with arthritis or dexterity limitations, like my parents and older relatives (once initial set up is done for them). The music and books features, along with news, weather and sports are all much easier for them to access and control  by voice than via computer or smartphone.



 

rated:
I just got my Echo dot. I already have SmartThings and a Harmony hub.

It's nice to be able to turn on & off the TV or watch a DVD without knowing where the remote is.
When I walk in the house and it's dark, it's nice to be able to turn on the lights by voice.
We have outdoor lights connected to SmartThings and now my wife can turn them on by voice instead of installing the SmartThings app on her phone.
It's convenient to be able to change the thermostat temperature at night without turning on a phone or getting up.
etc.

For $40 or $50 (or less bundled with some smart home items), it's a fun toy. If you have home automation and/or Harmony, you should definitely get it. If not, it seems like many people won't find a ton of use for it, though some will (see Geezlouise above).

rated:
BostonOne said:   I just got my Echo dot. I already have SmartThings and a Harmony hub.

It's nice to be able to turn on & off the TV or watch a DVD without knowing where the remote is.
When I walk in the house and it's dark, it's nice to be able to turn on the lights by voice.
We have outdoor lights connected to SmartThings and now my wife can turn them on by voice instead of installing the SmartThings app on her phone.
It's convenient to be able to change the thermostat temperature at night without turning on a phone or getting up.
etc.

For $40 or $50 (or less bundled with some smart home items), it's a fun toy. If you have home automation and/or Harmony, you should definitely get it. If not, it seems like many people won't find a ton of use for it, though some will (see Geezlouise above).

  I am about to get the Philips Hue starter kit tomorrow. After I switch out a bulb with a smart bulb controlled by app/voice, the physical light switch has to be left at "on" always, right? My mother in law in the house doesn't speak English... so if that's the case, I will have to think about what lights we could convert...

rated:
Thanks OP,

I cancelled the two that were waiting to ship from Amazon and ordered four dots w/markers. I placed two separate orders through Staples.

rated:
Has anyone find a nice bluetooth speaker to pair with my Dot? I would say the speaker is pretty poor for music.

rated:
bbbbirdistheword said:   The coupon also works for the Echo, making it $159.99. The lowest recorded price at Amazon is $149.99 from November last year.
  Actually, the lowest price for the Echo through Amazon was $99 (which is what I paid).

rated:
If you have the Discover Card, you can get a $25 gift card for $20 rewards for additional savings. I just used 3, so my total was $65.84 plus tax.

rated:
bbbbirdistheword said:   The coupon also works for the Echo, making it $159.99. The lowest recorded price at Amazon is $149.99 from November last year.
  Technically, the full size echo was $99.99 when it was initially released in beta, and that included a remote control. 

rated:
I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.

rated:
My guess: $29.99 on Black Friday

rated:
I bought a pair from HSN with $20 Visa Checkout promo and a $10 gift card I had from their settlement. If you are used to asking questions of Google, you will likely be less than thrilled with Alexa. I am getting the Google Home when it comes out in a couple weeks.

rated:
sijaz said:   My guess: $29.99 on Black Friday
  This is possible.  My order is for Christmas presents.  If it goes on sale, simply return the current order.

Thanks OP.  Great find.

rated:
Goofy4Deals said:   Ditto. Just installed my new echo dot. If you don't need the full size speaker and your ears can't tell the difference between a Bose and a Nakamichi, the dot is loud enough for a small room. YOU DO NOT NEED THE FULL SIZE ECHO for this to work. This works solo - an internet connection and an outlet.
  I can tell the difference between a little tin speaker and a professional sound system. Sorry about your hearing loss.

rated:
fuwing said:   
BostonOne said:   I just got my Echo dot. I already have SmartThings and a Harmony hub.

It's nice to be able to turn on & off the TV or watch a DVD without knowing where the remote is.
When I walk in the house and it's dark, it's nice to be able to turn on the lights by voice.
We have outdoor lights connected to SmartThings and now my wife can turn them on by voice instead of installing the SmartThings app on her phone.
It's convenient to be able to change the thermostat temperature at night without turning on a phone or getting up.
etc.

For $40 or $50 (or less bundled with some smart home items), it's a fun toy. If you have home automation and/or Harmony, you should definitely get it. If not, it seems like many people won't find a ton of use for it, though some will (see Geezlouise above).

  I am about to get the Philips Hue starter kit tomorrow. After I switch out a bulb with a smart bulb controlled by app/voice, the physical light switch has to be left at "on" always, right? My mother in law in the house doesn't speak English... so if that's the case, I will have to think about what lights we could convert...

  Yes.  You are correct, the physical switch has to be in the ON position.   I have configure my HUE light bulbs, light stripes, bloom to connect to my Alexa.   If your bulb can dim, you can even ask Alexa to dim it too.  "Alexa, Bedroom light 50%".

rated:
Getting this - Promotion not applied:Minimum order total is not met. You only have $0.86 of regular-priced items in your cart. Please add $99.14 worth of products to your cart and then apply the coupon once more.

rated:
sijaz said:   I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.
  
That's interesting, because the Dot page on BB&B itself says "The manufacturer does not allow coupons on this product". I tested it a couple of weeks ago with a coupon code, anyway, and no dice.  Color me skeptical, lol.

rated:
justjeff said:   Getting this - Promotion not applied:Minimum order total is not met. You only have $0.86 of regular-priced items in your cart. Please add $99.14 worth of products to your cart and then apply the coupon once more.
  
Yep...me, too. And that's even when the cart page specifically says that the Dot is "regularly priced", lol. Someone's put the kabosh on it.

rated:
Deal does not work!

rated:
Slikkster said:   
sijaz said:   I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.
  
That's interesting, because the Dot page on BB&B itself says "The manufacturer does not allow coupons on this product". I tested it a couple of weeks ago with a coupon code, anyway, and no dice.  Color me skeptical, lol.

  
I bought two on BBB with 20% off. It takes persistence. 

rated:
RDMustang1 said:   
Slikkster said:   
sijaz said:   I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.
  
That's interesting, because the Dot page on BB&B itself says "The manufacturer does not allow coupons on this product". I tested it a couple of weeks ago with a coupon code, anyway, and no dice.  Color me skeptical, lol.

  
I bought two on BBB with 20% off. It takes persistence. 

  Search the other deal site....check the wiki of that deal....it's all explained how to do the 20% BBB deal.  They only had black though.

rated:
If you are looking for something small, the Anker Sound Core mini is great...Amazon for $23.99 - have had good luck with several Anker products

rated:
RDMustang1 said:   
Slikkster said:   
sijaz said:   I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.
  
That's interesting, because the Dot page on BB&B itself says "The manufacturer does not allow coupons on this product". I tested it a couple of weeks ago with a coupon code, anyway, and no dice.  Color me skeptical, lol.

  
I bought two on BBB with 20% off. It takes persistence. 

  I followed the recommendation of a poster below who directed me to "the other deals site's wiki" that explained the process. Got one...will go back for another later.

rated:
sijaz said:   
RDMustang1 said:   
Slikkster said:   
sijaz said:   I got one from bath bed and beyond for $40 using 20% off coupon and free shipping.
  
That's interesting, because the Dot page on BB&B itself says "The manufacturer does not allow coupons on this product". I tested it a couple of weeks ago with a coupon code, anyway, and no dice.  Color me skeptical, lol.

  
I bought two on BBB with 20% off. It takes persistence. 

  Search the other deal site....check the wiki of that deal....it's all explained how to do the 20% BBB deal.  They only had black though.

  Thanks! Done.

rated:
does anyone know a bluetooth speaker that can power the Dot at the same time while its playing music?? that would make a complete Echo.

rated:
Is deal dead now?

rated:
NONE AVAILABLE.It's out of stock now.

rated:
Kikkoman said:   I don't have connected devices .... can you tell me 5 other things I can use Dot for? (I'm just trying to learn ... not implying anything)
  
In the kitchen as a timer (multiple timers), "how many fluid ounces in a 2 liter bottle", "how many teaspoons in a tablespoon", etc
Playing music "play a James Taylor song", "play 70's music", "play song smoke on the water"
[My dot in bedroom] - as others have mentioned as a nap timer or multiple alarm clocks, playing music, asking questions about actors on TV, weather report whilst getting dressed

rated:
Interesting - the code is dead..and suddenly the items are back in stock...

rated:
sijaz said:   My guess: $29.99 on Black Friday
  I'm with you - I can see Amazon and other stores having this as a door buster / prime member early deal.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016