• filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
So I don't know how "hot" this deal really is since I haven't shopped for sunglasses in over a decade, but I was looking for some new stylish, but inexpensive and non-name brand, sunglasses, and was about to put down $15 for a decent pair I found on Target 's website, until I found that Sears. com has almost every single pair that is labeled as "mens" or "women's" (with the exception of a four $100+ women's sunglasses) on their website for $5.99. Doing some comparison shopping on the men's sunglasses, I found many of them are the exact same brands (Dockers, Unionbay) and styles found in low-end (but still slightly better than Sears ) department stores like Kohl's or JC Penney, for around $20-30. You'll also find a few brands that used to be big but have sort of fallen from their glory days of being found in stores as "fancy" as Kohl's or JC Penney (South Pole, Fila, etc.). So yeah, they're sort of "cheap" sunglasses, but still not quite dollar store quality cheap and many of them look very nice for the price. Inexplicably, if you choose "unisex" for the gender, you'll end up with a bunch of Kmart results, which even more inexplicably seem to be better brands than the ones Sears has... and are much more expensive.

Men's 
Women's 

Edit: if you've still got a Sears near you, it appears they have these in-store as well for $5.99. They have a big sign on the display advertising it for that price. My local store had many of the ones that the website claimed was "out of stock" at the local store even.

More deals in the official Kmart & Sears $5 off $50 coupon thread.
Member Summary

sunglasses (17.09kB)
Thanks Kcarlsen21
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Shipping to VA is $3.99 for one item. Any free shipping codes or options?

rated:
No Deal on CLIP-on glasses 13.XX looks like a normal price....

rated:
MustSav3 said:   Shipping to VA is $3.99 for one item. Any free shipping codes or options?
Do you have the option to pick up in local store?  That's the only way for it to be free.
Even if you have their MAX for free shipping it has to be at least $10.

rated:
I had surprise points so a pair of sunglasses only cost me shipping and tax.

rated:
MustSav3 said:   Shipping to VA is $3.99 for one item. Any free shipping codes or options?
  You're correct, it is $3.99. I ordered 3 pairs and they charge less when you add additional pairs, and I thought it was $2.99 for just 1. But after going back to check to see what it was for 1, it ended up being $3.99 as you stated. I'll correct that.

Store pickup is available on some of them, but not all. Or you could spend $30 to get free shipping, potentially buying some of the stuff from this deal where you get 100% back in points, though it requires you to spend the points you earn and puts you in the eternal cycle of buying from Sears
 

rated:
Kind of a depressing listing - shows how dumb Americans are.  Lucas Films Star Was sunglasses?  

It's obvious there's a China factory that cranks these things out by the millions  for corporate think tanks who do studies of what to name these things (brand, name, color, style) to maximize revenue.  There's agreements across the board(s) of the various companies where one company gets the rights for awhile to one set of flavors (Dockers, etc.), the others get another - then to further maximize revenues the old ones are junked (clearance, bought, and landfilled) - and a new batch with new boxes gets to all those who missed them at the other store.

Ultimately, they're all from the same China hell-hole.

 

rated:
TowHead said:   Kind of a depressing listing - shows how dumb Americans are.  Lucas Films Star Was sunglasses?  

It's obvious there's a China factory that cranks these things out by the millions  for corporate think tanks who do studies of what to name these things (brand, name, color, style) to maximize revenue.  There's agreements across the board(s) of the various companies where one company gets the rights for awhile to one set of flavors (Dockers, etc.), the others get another - then to further maximize revenues the old ones are junked (clearance, bought, and landfilled) - and a new batch with new boxes gets to all those who missed them at the other store.

Ultimately, they're all from the same China hell-hole.

 

  While they may all be from the "same China hell-hole," the point is that similar sunglasses without the low end department store name brands go for about 2-3X the same price at other stores. It's absolutely true that you can buy $5 sunglasses at Dollar General, but they really do look and feel like $5 sunglasses.

I'd compare your argument to saying "here is a Lexus that you can buy, and here is a similar Honda that you can buy for three times as much, so instead of buying either one, just get the Kia that costs the same as the cheaper Lexus."

rated:
Popup said that I get surprise points so I logged in and it showed none. They lied so I'll not purchase.

rated:
I ordered 3. Thank OP.

rated:
sdskees said:   
TowHead said:   Kind of a depressing listing - shows how dumb Americans are.  Lucas Films Star Was sunglasses?  

It's obvious there's a China factory that cranks these things out by the millions  for corporate think tanks who do studies of what to name these things (brand, name, color, style) to maximize revenue.  There's agreements across the board(s) of the various companies where one company gets the rights for awhile to one set of flavors (Dockers, etc.), the others get another - then to further maximize revenues the old ones are junked (clearance, bought, and landfilled) - and a new batch with new boxes gets to all those who missed them at the other store.

Ultimately, they're all from the same China hell-hole.

 

  While they may all be from the "same China hell-hole," the point is that similar sunglasses without the low end department store name brands go for about 2-3X the same price at other stores. It's absolutely true that you can buy $5 sunglasses at Dollar General, but they really do look and feel like $5 sunglasses.

I'd compare your argument to saying "here is a Lexus that you can buy, and here is a similar Honda that you can buy for three times as much, so instead of buying either one, just get the Kia that costs the same as the cheaper Lexus."

  
I agree that these sunglasses are going to be better than a lot of the cheesy stuff - maybe better than Foster Grant - I'd have to handle one to see.  It's depressing to see how Americans respond to branding as if nothing else matters.

 

rated:
TowHead said:   Kind of a depressing listing - shows how dumb Americans are.  Lucas Films Star Was sunglasses?  
...
Ultimately, they're all from the same China hell-hole.

 


But you *do* have to be careful -- a small percentage of sunglasses that are marked as UVA/UVB blocking are not (despite it being very cheap to add the UVA/UVB protection). Such sunglasses are worse for you than not wearing sunglasses at all. So you really have to trust who you are buying from or the manufacturer. I wouldn't even think of buying sunglasses at the Dollar Tree (or any made-in-China food there). But Dockers I would trust; if they are selling fake sunglasses, it could potentially ruin their brand.

   

rated:
I just thought I'd add that people might want to actually check out Sears in person (if you've still got one nearby). The store near me had a ton of them, including some that the website claimed to be "out of stock" at my store, and there was a big sign on the display that advertised them being $5.99.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016