• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
On Saturday, November 12th, Sam's Club will have the VIZIO E55-E1 55" Smartcast TV for $398.  I can't provide a direct link to the TV on their website because it's a one day deal and they don't have the TV for sale until Saturday.  A search on google turns up the VIZIO webpage, which describes it as "coming soon".  I know that it's a 4K/UHD TV with 4 HDMI ports, but that's all I know.  The cheapest 55" 4K unit on Sam's site currently is going for $578, so this would seem like a pretty good deal.  It includes free shipping if you purchase online or doors open at 7am if you want to brave the store.

Moderator Comment: This thread is mirrored to these forums: HOT DEALS, MOVIES AND HOME THEATER, EXPIRED DEALS. — Dec. 11, 2016 @ 12:23am
Member Summary

VIZIO E55-E1 (19.87kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If your laptop has a HDMI or Display Port connector, I don't see why not.  If your laptop only has a Display Port output... (more)

GeorgeT (Nov. 12, 2016 @ 6:59a) |

This is a great starter 4K starter TV, I'm running a Samsun 4K 240 hz one with very little content to fill what it can h... (more)

polishdreamer (Nov. 12, 2016 @ 7:08a) |

We just ordered one of these for our granddaughter, it was delivered yesterday, but it will be going back to Sams.  Had ... (more)

shucke (Nov. 17, 2016 @ 8:31p) |

Found it on WalMart 's site:
E55-E1 

Introducing the all-new VIZIO E-Series 55-Inch Class (54.6-inch diag.) Ultra HD Home Theater Display with Chromecast built-in. Part of the VIZIO SmartCast collection, every E-Series features Chromecast built-in, the easiest way to stream the entertainment you love from your phone or tablet to your E-Series display. Simply tap the Cast button in popular mobile apps you have on your phone like Netflix, Hulu and HBO NOW to stream your entertainment on the big screen. And with E-Series, your phone is your remote — download the VIZIO SmartCast app and use your phone to power on your display, adjust the volume, switch inputs, play and control streaming content and much more — all from any room in your home with any iOS or Android device in your home. With 4K Ultra HD resolution for incredibly sharp detail, the E-Series collection also features a powerful full array LED backlight with 12 Active LED Zones for superior picture performance and a vibrant contrast.

In the Sepcs on WalMart it reads:
Is Remote Control Included: Y
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Sams is too far away from me,, 6 hours

rated:
Here is the Google cached Vizio link for the TV with specs: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G9Dm-1iXQH...

rated:
Had them displayed today at a local Sam's Club.  4K, but 60Hz, for what it's worth.  Had to search the box just to find that.  Tech specs state 120Hz effective rate.  Picture did look nice, and bright.

rated:
This is a "Home Theater Display" and NOT a TV (does not include a tuner). If you are planning to use external antennas to watch local broadcasts, this will NOT work (unless you buy an external tuner).

rated:
cenglerp said:   This is a "Home Theater Display" and NOT a TV (does not include a tuner). If you are planning to use external antennas to watch local broadcasts, this will NOT work (unless you buy an external tuner).
  The specs say that it doesn't include a tuner, but everywhere I've seen it it's described as a TV.  That's more than a little misleading.

Also, per the specs on Mal-Wart's website (In the quick summary.  Thanks BMWLVR82.), the cord length is 16m.  That's one looooong cord.

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   Sams is too far away from me,, 6 hours

It includes free shipping if you purchase online

rated:
Good observation that there is no tuner for broadcast channels with antenna (no coax input).  Funny that the remote only has a few buttons, but 2 of them say in the owners manual: Channel Up/Down (Not supported)

Owners manual is here: http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/e55ud0/um-e55ud0.pdf 

rated:
For those who might be on the fence due to the no tuner issue, you can get a no-frills tuner here for $30.

rated:
You do not need to have a tuner unless you hook up to an antenna. Also most TV's are 60 hz. Vizio lists it's 120hz as "effective refresh rate". That means it's 60 hz but your eyes are able to view it as 120 hz due to it's features like back panel lights. 

In this TV's situation the effective refresh rate is 120 hz with a 4k upscaler that enhances HD 1080p to 4k.

rated:
Goferebater said:   Good observation that there is no tuner for broadcast channels with antenna (no coax input).  Funny that the remote only has a few buttons, but 2 of them say in the owners manual: Channel Up/Down (Not supported)

Owners manual is here: http://cdn.vizio.com/documents/e55ud0/um-e55ud0.pdf

Not the right manual, try this:

https://cdn.vizio.com/documents/e55e1/um-e55e1.pdf

rated:
So does anyone know much about the smartcast system? Is the smart TV on the android platform or can it just accept casts?

I would specifically like to know if I will be able to install the Plex and Kodi apps into this TV, or if I will just be able to cast from Plex?

rated:
Added this to summary, to answer a few questions:
Introducing the all-new VIZIO E-Series 55-Inch Class (54.6-inch diag.) Ultra HD Home Theater Display with Chromecast built-in. Part of the VIZIO SmartCast collection, every E-Series features Chromecast built-in, the easiest way to stream the entertainment you love from your phone or tablet to your E-Series display. Simply tap the Cast button in popular mobile apps you have on your phone like Netflix, Hulu and HBO NOW to stream your entertainment on the big screen. And with E-Series, your phone is your remote — download the VIZIO SmartCast app and use your phone to power on your display, adjust the volume, switch inputs, play and control streaming content and much more — all from any room in your home with any iOS or Android device in your home. With 4K Ultra HD resolution for incredibly sharp detail, the E-Series collection also features a powerful full array LED backlight with 12 Active LED Zones for superior picture performance and a vibrant contrast.

rated:
So doesn't really answer the question...

Can one assume that any app on Android that can cast can be received by this TV? I was under the impression that the receiving end of a cast has to have the same app installed that is sending the cast?

rated:
BenH said:   So doesn't really answer the question...

Can one assume that any app on Android that can cast can be received by this TV? I was under the impression that the receiving end of a cast has to have the same app installed that is sending the cast?

"Chromecast built-in", so any Chromecast-compatible app.

rated:
chuckster said:   

Ok - thanks.  Does anyone own a Chromecast or chromecast embedded device?  I'm interested how they work.  When my friend demonstrated his original chromecast my recollection was it was basically like a little android stick and anything that you cast to it has to have that same app installed.  So basically when I "cast" a you tube video it was basically like telling the you tube app on the chromecast to play the link I sent, etc.  Does it not work like that?  I guess my understanding has been faulty of how they operate.

rated:
the chrome browser on laptop will work with Chromecast

rated:
BenH said:   
chuckster said:   

Ok - thanks.  Does anyone own a Chromecast or chromecast embedded device?  I'm interested how they work.  When my friend demonstrated his original chromecast my recollection was it was basically like a little android stick and anything that you cast to it has to have that same app installed.  So basically when I "cast" a you tube video it was basically like telling the you tube app on the chromecast to play the link I sent, etc.  Does it not work like that?  I guess my understanding has been faulty of how they operate.

Here's a short explanation, from Wikipedia:

The development framework has two components: a sender app and a receiver app, both of which make use of APIs provided by the SDK.

The sender app is based on a vendor's existing Android or iOS mobile app, or desktop Web app, and provides users with content discovery and media controls, including the ability to select to which device content is streamed. Under the hood, sender apps can detect receiver devices on the same local network, establish a secure channel, and exchange messages.
The receiver app is a web app executing in a Chrome browser-like environment resident on the cast receiver device. Receiver apps of varying complexities can be developed depending on the variety of content formats the app can play. For example, a simple receiver app might just play HTML5 content, whereas custom receiver apps, which require more programming effort, can take a variety of streaming protocols, including MPEG-DASH, HTTP Live Streaming, and the Microsoft Smooth Streaming Protocol.

There's a more detailed explanation on Google's Chromecast site, but really all you need to know is what apps are compatible with Chromecast.  Chromecast apps

rated:
Wouldn't a set top box, say from Comcast for example, serve as a tuner?

rated:
dpneal - yes, if you have a cable box, or a tivo, or an external tuner you don't need a tuner in the TV. You only need a tuner if you are running an antenna or cable straight into the TV.

rated:
Palmtree555 said:   You do not need to have a tuner unless you hook up to an antenna. Also most TV's are 60 hz. Vizio lists it's 120hz as "effective refresh rate". That means it's 60 hz but your eyes are able to view it as 120 hz due to it's features like back panel lights. 

In this TV's situation the effective refresh rate is 120 hz with a 4k upscaler that enhances HD 1080p to 4k.

What I noticed is the "Clear Action" is 180. I read somewhere that this is the exact Refresh Rate doubled. So 90hz. I spoke to someone at Vizio and they confirmed. Sams has an identical TV with 240 Clear Action currently at same price but I doubt it will be on sale. I wonder if that difference in Clear Action would be noticeable?   

rated:
I am looking for a display to use at trade shows to display photos of my products slideshow from my laptop.  Can I use this Vizio E55-E1 for this?

rated:
jackthegreat55 said:   I am looking for a display to use at trade shows to display photos of my products slideshow from my laptop.  Can I use this Vizio E55-E1 for this?

If your laptop has a HDMI or Display Port connector, I don't see why not.  If your laptop only has a Display Port output, you would need a Display port to HDMI cable or an adaptor for a normal HDMI to HDMI cable.

You could also, probably just put the photos on a flash drive and plug it into the USB port in back of the Vizio. One of the main uses of that port is to view a slide show of photographs or play video from an external hard drive.

You will have to read up a little on that model just to make sure since I do not own it.

Good luck at the show!

rated:
This is a great starter 4K starter TV, I'm running a Samsun 4K 240 hz one with very little content to fill what it can handle so 60 hz should be fine.

rated:
We just ordered one of these for our granddaughter, it was delivered yesterday, but it will be going back to Sams.  Had no idea it's just a giant monitor.  It's advertised as a TV, period.  Never
heard of anyone selling a TV that you cannot get broadcast channels on.  My grandson uses a external antenna he bought at Best Buy and gets all the broadcast channels, about 26 of them,
through it, so doesn't pay for cable or satellite.  He streams the rest of the shows he watches through Netflix and Hulu Plus.  This was very misleading, advertising it as a TV.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016