• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
During the week of November 13, take your outdated tech to Staples for recycling and you’ll get a $10 off $20 coupon that you can use in December. See, and you thought your old technology was worthless.
*Coupon will be printed on the receipt when items are recycled. Offer valid from 11/13/16 - 11/19/16. $10 off $20 coupon for use in December.
Limit 7 items per customer per day. Store management has the right to refuse to accept items that may pose a health or safety risk.
Link 

Coupon will probably only be good on regular priced items (which includes clearance) and not on items with rebates but we can hope.

More deals in the official Staples clearance thread.
Member Summary

e-recycling (140.73kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought a bunch of the Kleenex 4-pk tissue boxes with my coupon.  No problems. $3 for the 4-pk before the coupon.  SKU ... (more)

sportsfan64 (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 8:05p) |

Interested to see what other items people are picking up. Most of their paper products seem 25-50% higher prices than Ta... (more)

Freakazoid (Dec. 01, 2016 @ 10:57p) |

Has anyone tried one of the coupons on clearance item(s) in store? I tried online clearance items, but those aren't con... (more)

george2001 (Dec. 04, 2016 @ 2:40p) |

*Coupon will be printed on the receipt when items are recycled. Offer valid from 11/13/16 - 11/19/16. $10 off $20 coupon for use in December.

**We don’t accept:

• TVs and appliances
  • Floor model printers and copiers
  • Large servers
  • Kitchen electronics
  • Lamps and bulbs
  • Large speakers and speaker systems

ideas for redemption:

• k-cups: $21.98-10=$11.98, $11.98/36=$0.33/cup
  • San Francisco Bay k-cups (fog chasers are very good): $27.99 for 80, $27.99-10=$17.99/80=$0.22/cup
  • skull candy ear buds: $21.58 for 2, $21.58-10=$11.58/2=$5.79
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks for the post - I've been trying to find a way to avoid having to pay to get rid of an old CRT monitor, and now I'll actually get something out of it!

rated:
Saw this info elsewhere and if you bring in 7 items you only get one coupon. You'll need to do this day by day to get more than one coupon.

BTW, the coupon is good in December only on refurbished tech. J/K.

rated:
mathfaster said:    only on refurbished tech. J/K.
Where do you see that term?

Can these be stacked to get up to $70 of $140+  

rated:
bobley said:   

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=j%2Fk 

Since this offer has never been done before no one knows if they can stack. No crystal balls here but currently each item can only be discounted by one coupon so I rather doubt they will stack.

rated:
Great deal. Now I can recycle those FAR FAX Machines, Modems and remotes.

rated:
IT STANDS TO REASON NO STACKING

rated:
mathfaster said:   
bobley said:   

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=j%2Fk 

Since this offer has never been done before no one knows if they can stack. No crystal balls here but currently each item can only be discounted by one coupon so I rather doubt they will stack.

maybe they can "stack" like "Dog In A Bath Tub"

rated:
Does everyone know that Dec is when the sales sorta stink? Hence why we get a $10 coupon.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Does everyone know that Dec is when the sales sorta stink? Hence why we get a $10 coupon.
The 10/20 coupon most likely will not be valid on sale items anyway .....

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Great deal. Now I can recycle those FAR FAX Machines, Modems and remotes.
  My giant pile of Canon PRO-100s!

rated:
I have an old external hard drive that requires a huge, heavy AC adapter to use. How do I wipe the files safely?

rated:
matrix5k said:   I have an old external hard drive that requires a huge, heavy AC adapter to use. How do I wipe the files safely?
  hook it up to a linux pc and write 0's to it: open a terminal and run 'sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4M' (replace X with enumerated drive letter found by running 'dmesg | tail').

rated:
matrix5k said:   I have an old external hard drive that requires a huge, heavy AC adapter to use. How do I wipe the files safely?
Ask Hillary Clinton or Copy movies/videos on it till it's full x N. Nothing can be more random write.
 Alternatively,use this but be very very careful.

rated:
1) Do the items have to be in working condition?

2) The main picture on the linked page shows a PSU and (what is likely) a disk drive and a card reader but items such as that probably wouldn't qualify, right? I don't see "Computer Components" as a valid category.

3) "Floor model printers"? Not that it would apply to me but that just sounds like a weird clause. Would that only catch floor models sold at a Staples location, referenced by serial number?

rated:
ManuFact said:   3) "Floor model printers"? Not that it would apply to me but that just sounds like a weird clause. Would that only catch floor models sold at a Staples location, referenced by serial number?
  Printers that are tall enough that they are made to sit on the floor.

rated:
Sledgehammer

rated:
chomerj said:   Sledgehammer
  One of my favorite shows from the 80s...  my memberberries are tingling...

rated:
Are you joking?  I cannot find details of what coupon will cover?  Thanks

rated:
Californiadeal said:   Are you joking?  I cannot find details of what coupon will cover?  Thanks
  Just got it in an email this morning. It says "Anything" but lists these as options:Computers & Printers

• All-in-ones
  • Desktops
  • Laptops
  • Monitors
  • Copiers (desktop)
  • Fax machines
  • Printers (desktop)
  • Scanners (desktop)

Tablets & Mobile Tech

• Camcorders
  • Digital cameras
  • eReaders
  • External hard drives
  • Gaming devices
  • GPS devices
  • iPod=0.5em®/MP3 players
  • Mobile phones
  • Tablets

Other Technology

• Cable/satellite receivers
  • Calculators
  • CD/DVD/Blu-ray players
  • Computer speakers
  • Cordless phones
  • Digital projectors
  • Keyboards and mice
  • Modems and routers
  • Shredders
  • Small servers
  • Stereo receivers
  • UPS/battery backup
  • Video streaming devices

rated:
So, any reason I can't part out an old computer to get 1 coupon per piece? Motherboard, HD, CDRW, PSU, graphics card, etc, etc.? Not on either list of accepted or of not accepted items.

rated:
Danzilla said:   So, any reason I can't part out an old computer to get 1 coupon per piece? Motherboard, HD, CDRW, PSU, graphics card, etc, etc.? Not on either list of accepted or of not accepted items.
  mouse pad? power cord?

rated:
They had an electronics recycling pick-up day recently in my town.  Of couse, nobody reads (or were aware of) the fine print.  The hosts were denying most of the large items. They only were taking cell phones, Apple stuff, laptops, video games, etc.  Guess what was left in a big pile near the entrance?

• TVs and appliances
  • Floor model printers and copiers
  • Large servers
  • Kitchen electronics
  • Lamps and bulbs
  • Large speakers and speaker systems

It turned out that it wasn't a community-sponsored recycling event.  It was just some enterprising guys collecting stuff that they could clean/fix and sell on eBay.

I would suspect that Staples will find some of these items in their parking lot, as well.

rated:
They probably threw the stuff they couldn't use in a dumpster.

rated:
Does anyone know if the $10 off $20 purchase has any restrictions? Thanks

rated:
Californiadeal said:   Does anyone know if the $10 off $20 purchase has any restrictions? Thanks
Until someone actually receives a coupon -- which should happen tomorrow -- we are just guessing. But most likely the standard terms: Only regular priced items, no cash equivalents (gift cards, stamps, etc.), etc.

rated:
No mention of cell phones or old DVR remote controls in the list of items that qualify. Maybe I'll try anyway. I do have a few old non-working calculators.

rated:
george2001 said:   No mention of cell phones or old DVR remote controls in the list of items that qualify. Maybe I'll try anyway. I do have a few old non-working calculators.
  mobile phones a.k.a. cell phones can be recycled.

rated:
"Calculators"

hmmm...

(considering i have a whole bunch of ~$5 or FAR caluclators from back in the day...this might come in Handy)

rated:
Lol $1 calcs can be recycled? Maybe this is just a way get people into the store with no intention of 'reusing' these items.

rated:
I'm holding out for another event from BestBuy where they will take old iPhones and hand out store credit. Traded an original iPhone and got a great deal on and Android tablet.

rated:
Coupon only good on regular priced items in December does not seem a hot deal.

rated:
po90260 said:   Coupon only good on regular priced items in December does not seem a hot deal.
  Perhaps its just that you cannot find anything. Let me give you an example:

Tide PODS 72 for $20.99 regularly. So it will be $10.99 for 72 if I can use the coupon. Hot deal in my opinion for something I use every week and doesn't go bad sitting on the shelf 

rated:
I've used DBan HD erasure (http://www.dban.org)  prior to selling my last three computers on Craigs List and am comfortable that it did the job in removing everything (or digitalizing over existing data).
There's a freeware version or a $15 buy-in that guarantees your HD is erased.

rated:
matrix5k said:   

I have an old external hard drive that requires a huge, heavy AC adapter to use. How do I wipe the files safely?

Bleach Bit

rated:
it will be interesting to see if they take my dead perk phones.

rated:
  If you are really worried, pull the actual HD, and try to  recycle the case and power cord

rated:
po90260 said:   Coupon only good on regular priced items in December does not seem a hot deal.
  Does it say so some place? Link please!

rated:
RaoMonger said:   
  Does it say so some place? Link please!

The link is in the first post.

Skipping 66 Messages...
rated:
Has anyone tried one of the coupons on clearance item(s) in store? I tried online clearance items, but those aren't considered "regular priced".

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016