• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Is Fios still your broadband provider?  If yes you can do the below.

Yes, just plug this new router into one of the ether... (more)

dkd711 (Dec. 04, 2016 @ 11:27p) |

Is there a monthly fee for the cellspot?

wolfsmane (Dec. 05, 2016 @ 5:17a) |

This thread says the deal is expired... It isn't. I just bought one.

DudeInMyrtleBeach (Dec. 08, 2016 @ 6:43p) |

If you wish to update to custom firmware DO NOT connect it to internet until you've completed the update.

This TM-AC1900 router can be flashed over to a Asus RT-AC68U to support the following 3rd party firmware:
OFFICIAL ASUS FIRMWARE [asus.com]
ASUSWRT MERLIN FIRMWARE [lostrealm.ca]
JOHNS MERLIN FORK FIRMWARE [snbforums.com]
TOMATO BY SHIBBY [groov.pl]
ADVANCED TOMATO FIRMWARE [advancedtomato.com]
DD-WRT FIRMWARE [dd-wrt.com]
OPEN-WRT FIRMWARE [openwrt.org]

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware/Installation_and_Configuration#Installing_on_an_ASUS_WL-520gU

(One of the few routers that supports most major 3rd party ffirmware

Process summary below:
Do not flash if you do no have the need to do so.
Yes, it is possible to 'upgrade' the firmware, but if you don't know what the 'upgrades' and extra features are for then it is all useless. This router will works fine out of the box for the average person using Stock t mobile firmware Note that there is a chance of bricking the router if you do not follow the CFE changing instructions properly.
Note: Average time to do this. First time Novice but VERY literate & Patient: 2-3hrs
Regular user with no computer comprehension: Dont even attempt and have your "geek" friend do it. 

OUTLINE OF PROCESS
1) If you are running Tmobile Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_3108 or earlier you must DOWNGRADE the firmware to T-Mobile Firmware version .1703 (to enable Telnet)
2) Extract CFE bootloader and copy/paste MAC addresses and WPS code into Retail Asus CFE. (1.0.2.0 retail is probably the best one to use)
4) Flash Asus CFE
5) Then flash your choice of firmware using Aus Restore Utility or MiniCFE webpage
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This following method works as of April 2016 and works if you are running firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_3108 or earlier. NOTE: If the Guide tells you to press or wait for 20 seconds, it means 20 seconds, not 19 not 17, not 10...it tells you to wait for 5 minutes, its a FULL 5 minutes, not 3 minutes, not 4 minutes 30 seconds, it means 5 MINUTES! If you have NO patience or time and cant follow instructions this guide is not for you.

PROCESS1: DOWNGRADING FIRMWARE TO V3.0.0.4_376.1703

1) Restore FACTORY DEFAULTS of the Router, this should set the IP of the router to 192.168.29.1
2) Set your computer to use a static IP of 192.168.29.88
Set subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 (you can leave gateway and dns blank)
3) Set your router to Recovery/Restore Mode by:
Turn power off to the router
Wait 10 seconds
Press and Hold the Reset button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds then let go of the reset
4) Wait 180 seconds (for router to fully boot)
5)using the "Asus Firmware Restoration Tool" or "MiniCFE webpage" (MiniCFE webpage is using a web browser and going to the routers IP of 192.168.29.1)
6) Flash the Tmobile firmware version 3.0.0.4_376_1703 TRX file.
7) Wait 5 mins
8) Power off router by unplugging the power cable
9) Perform a NVRAM RESET by:
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the WPS button
Restore power to router while continuing to hold WPS button
Continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds then let go
10) wait 5 mins
11) The firmware should now be downgraded and you can verify by longing into the router and checking the firmware version through the web browser interface.

PROCESS 2: ENABLING "TELNET" AND FLASSHING "CFE":

1) Considering you are on Tmobile firmware version 1703, RESTORE FACTORY DEFAULTS
2) Login to the router using the web browser and navigate to the ADMINISTRATION > SYSTEM> ENABLE TELNET> YES (then apply and save settings)
3) Change the CFE using Engineers guide, i recommend using CFE 1.0.2.0 and MTD Write v2.
Engineer's New CFE Flashing Guide: https://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73690012&postcount=3895.
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/

PROCESS 3: FLASHING YOUR CUSTOM FIRMWARE

(instructions below assume you are on tmobile firmware version 1703 with new moddified CFE) in other words...you followed the instructions above already. (If you are on new Asus CFE but different firmware you router IP address may be different, most likley 192.168.1.1)

1) Set Static ip of 192.168.29.88 for your PC if router is using tmobile firmware
(or Static IP of 192.168.1.88 if on retail asus firmware or custom firmware)
Set subnetmask to 255.255.255.0 (you can leave gateway and dns blank)
2) Perform NVRAM RESET
Wait 10 seconds
3) wait 5 mins for router to fully boot
4)Place router into Restore / Recovery mode
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds then let go
5) wait 180 seconds for router to enter recovery
6) using the "Asus Firmware Restoration Tool" or "MiniCFE webpage" MiniCFE webpage is using a web browser point or go to the routers IP of 192.168.29.1 (or 192.168.1.1 if you already are on custom firmware)
7) Flash your custom firmware and wait 5 mins
8) unplug the power from the router for 10 seconds 
9) plug in the power and wait 180 seconds
10) Perform NVRAM RESET
Wait 10 seconds
11) Wait 5 mins 
12) Set your computer IP from Static to DHCP 
13) Login to the router and enjoy your new firmware, the routers ip is most likley at this point 192.168.1.1,

Video how to install it right out of the box on Windows.

Update Sep 23, 2016: Concise, clear step-by-step video using Windows 10. Check comments if your T-Mobile CellSpot is on 3.0.0.4.376_3169. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_giMfTYIzI

Works with ALL the tmobile TM-AC1900 cellspot routers as of 4/15/2016. it had CFE 2.1.2.2 and was downgraded and installed 1.0.2.0 The video below shows to install and change CFE and Flash firmware right out of the box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s
NOTE: in this video the router enters recovery and the lights blink, HOWEVER on the newer models the router will enter recovery the same way but the LIGHTS DO NOT BLINK. do not worry, if you unplug and then re-plug the power to router while continuing to hold WPS button for 20 seconds you should be in recovery, do not worry if the lights are not blinking.

below is the list of utilities and file needed that were mentioned in the video
Mirror 1: http://www.filedropper.com/tmo2ac68u
Mirror 2: https://mega.co.nz/#!olRUzYZY!g7U...dG3_DvfWgc
tmo2ac68u.rar
MD5: ABDF6F5DF89DFE247C6C2491ABE27085
SHA1: 15AC7279D28FD78D2DDA7E901A92066E83833B71
CRC32: DC5622B4
SHA-256: 32E841579DE1CDBBF33433D266D004D7229579D658AB8C1B07E668453947AD86
FILE SIZE: 69,131,135 

FILE DOWNLOADS
Asus pulled the restore utilities for the RT-AC68 series..here is a copy below: 
http://www.filedropper.com/utrtac68u4292 

ASUS has removed the firmware from their site. Use this link to download the firmware
Version: 3.0.0.4.376.1703 
Description: TM-AC1900 First Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.1703
File Size: 16,55 (MBytes)
Another link to the 1703 firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o58wury...3.zip?dl=0 or http://www.filedropper.com/fwtmac190030043761703
MD5: 28a1e9558fbd6b297ccc296b4c6a3918
SHA1: 14d0bc5d66dcd27977a2fff540347a9fa58217da

QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE FOR FLASHING OPERATIONS
TELNET COMMANDS:

This command shows the board revision
nvram get boardrev

This command shows the hardware revision
nvram get HW_ver

This command shows the bootloader version (This checks the CFE version)
nvram get bl_version

Hardware NVRAM Reset:
Wait 10 seconds
Continue to hold WPS button for 20 seconds

Place router into Restore / Recovery mode:
Wait 10 seconds
Press and hold the Reset button
Continue to hold Reset button for 20 seconds 

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Tempted, but I've already got one. Don't really need something like this to function as a WAP.

rated:
If my TMo is already using my wifi, what would I need this for? I really don't understand this.

rated:
Its really just a great deal on a great router. The cellspot thing is whatever

rated:
wolfsmane said:   If my TMo is already using my wifi, what would I need this for? I really don't understand this.
  If I am reading this right, basically just a QOS setting that prioritizes Cell traffic over data traffic.
Couldn't this be done with any DDWRT router?

rated:
machinez said:   
wolfsmane said:   If my TMo is already using my wifi, what would I need this for? I really don't understand this.
  If I am reading this right, basically just a QOS setting that prioritizes Cell traffic over data traffic.
Couldn't this be done with any DDWRT router?

Haven't used DDWRT, but it probably could be done. The thing about the TMO router is that it's basically plug-and-play for optimized Wifi calling. Probably doesn't even matter unless you have a mediocre ISP connection or you have a lot of random traffic on your wifi.

In my case, I don't even need the QOS since I've got a TMO tower about a quarter mile from my home so I pretty much get 5 bars all the time. I don't know if the QOS helps with my ATT work phone which also uses wifi calling (my ATT signal is pretty lousy at my home).

rated:
This TM-AC1900 router can be flashed over to a Asus RT-AC68U to support the 3rd party firmware such as DD-WRT, Tomato and Asuswrt-Merlin.

rated:
During order checkout, you have to select your shipping preference: $5.99 for STANDARD (up to 5 business days), $11.99 for OVERNIGHT (1 business day); however, when you get to the page where you enter your payment info, it changes the shipping fee to $0.00 (at least for STANDARD shipping, didn't test OVERNIGHT). Sales tax gets added (unless you happen to ship it to a state w/o sales tax or w/o a T-Mobile presence).

P.S. This router (which is essentially an RT-AC68U w/ locked firmware), with a bit of work, can apparently be unlocked and then flashed to 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Merlin, etc.) or perhaps even stock RT-AC68U firmware.  More details here:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_T-Mobile_Cellspot

$60 for an RT-AC68U is smokin' hot!

rated:
not sure it's TM customer only but I got in the first time for $99 last year and it's rock solid running stock. Not a TM customer and it was worth every penny back then.

rated:
What is this Cellspot feature and why so many one star reviews on Amz ?

rated:
Thx OP! Is there any Tomato Shibby build compatible?

rated:
Monkeybiz said:   not sure it's TM customer only but I got in the first time for $99 last year and it's rock solid running stock. Not a TM customer and it was worth every penny back then.

CellSpot function be used w/ ATT or VZW??

rated:
TheDiggler said:   During order checkout, you have to select your shipping preference: $5.99 for STANDARD (up to 5 business days), $11.99 for OVERNIGHT (1 business day); however, when you get to the page where you enter your payment info, it changes the shipping fee to $0.00 (at least for STANDARD shipping, didn't test OVERNIGHT). Sales tax gets added (unless you happen to ship it to a state w/o sales tax or w/o a T-Mobile presence).

P.S. This router (which is essentially an RT-AC68U w/ locked firmware), with a bit of work, can apparently be unlocked and then flashed to 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Merlin, etc.) or perhaps even stock RT-AC68U firmware.  More details here:
https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_T-Mobile_Cellspot

Flashing to DD-WRT is not easy on this router. If you are not a techie, do not attempt. Buy a used Asus Ac-68 router off eBay instead and upgrade to Merlin firmware.

rated:
In for 1.

If you flash to DDWRT, do you lose any out of the box CellSpot functionality on t-mo?

BTW, t*pcashback give 10% cashback. 

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
Monkeybiz said:   not sure it's TM customer only but I got in the first time for $99 last year and it's rock solid running stock. Not a TM customer and it was worth every penny back then.

CellSpot function be used w/ ATT or VZW??

C&P
SD said: First, this is simply a rebranded Asus router that is running T-Mobile flavored firmware. This router WILL NOT increase your T-Mobile signal. This router is simply setup to favor VoIP calls over other internet traffic in your home. To use this as a "personal cellspot" you MUST have a T-Mobile phone that 1) is wifi calling capable, 2) has wifi calling turned on, and 3) is connected to your wifi network. This means friends and family that are T-Mobile customers who visit but do not connect to your wifi network will not benefit from this being in your home at all.

If your area has a few bars but those bars drop when you go inside your home, T-Mobile offers a second product called the Cel-Fi Signal Booster, which oddly is packaged as a personal cellspot when you receive it. The Cel-Fi Signal Booster is a device that is placed in an area of your home (near a window preferably) that gets a T-Mobile signal. Then, the box amplifies the signal and rebroadcasts it throughout your house. You need at least 1 bar outside your home for this product to work.

Finally, if you have NO signal in your area, T-Mobile offers their 4G LTE Cellspot. This device plugs into your router and generates a 3G/4G signal that ANYONE on T-Mobile can use (I believe it supports up to 10 devices at once). On order to use the 4G LET Cellspot you must 1) place the GPS dongle in an area that gets a GPS signal (for 911), and 2) you must TURN OFF wifi calling as wifi calling and the signal generated by the 4G LTE Cellspot conflict.

Currently, I have both the Cellspot Router and the 4G LTE Cellspot in my house. I received the router first and it worked great so long as you had a phone that worked with wifi calling and were connected to my wireless network. When I purchased an unlocked phone, I lost the capabilty to use T-Mobile 's wifi calling and was limited to routing my calls through Google Voice. Later, when the 4G LTE Cellspot was released, I was able to grab one of the first ones and it has worked beautifully.

rated:
^ Thanks, So what's the cheapest 4G LTE Cellspot from VZW?

Have people been able to get it from VZW for "Free"

rated:
needhelpplease said:   ^ Thanks, So what's the cheapest 4G LTE Cellspot from VZW?

AFAIK cellspot is unique to T Mobile.

rated:
wtfu said:   Thx OP! Is there any Tomato Shibby build compatible?
Yes. details in QS

rated:
Can any builds support multiple USB print servers? Stock and Merlin can't. Tomato might?

Any idea when TM will abandon those given out and not want them back or charge for them?

Can multiples of these build a mesh network?

rated:
bobley said:   
Any idea when TM will stop wanting these back? 

What ? 

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
bobley said:   
Any idea when TM will stop wanting these back? 

What ? 

Edited above.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   ^ Thanks, So what's the cheapest 4G LTE Cellspot from VZW?

The "Cellspot" device that TMO offers is a "femtocell" (which is NOT the device in the OP of this thread). It appears that VZW has at least 2 different models of femtocells, but both are listed for $250 (VZW calls them "Network Extenders"):

3G Model: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/ 
4G/LTE Model: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-4g-lte-network-extender/ 

No idea whether you can get it for "free" (or even discounted to a reasonable price) from VZW.

*EDIT* Grammar

*EDIT2* Clarified that the TMO "Cellspot" is not the device in the OP.

rated:
I bought this last week and flashed successfully and am running the newest firmware from ASUS.

I initially upgraded to the newest T-Mobile firmware, enabled SSH (instead of Telnet), and then started at Process 2.3 from marcopolomle's post above.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   

The "Cellspot" device that TMO offers is a "femtocell." It appears that VZW has at least 2 different models of femtocells, but both are listed for $250 (VZW calls them "Network Extenders"):

3G Model: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/ 
4G/LTE Model: https://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-4g-lte-network-extender/ 

No idea whether you can get it for "free" (or even discounted to a reasonable price) from VZW.

*EDIT* Grammar

The two devices you linked are actual Femtocell devices but the T-Mobile device appears to be a regular WiFi router with QOS.  The "Compatible devices" support WiFi calling.  That should not be compared to a Femtocell since those act like Cell phone towers and as such they support Cell phones without WiFi calling and devices without WiFi at all.

EDIT:  This particular device is a plain old router as I believed.  T-Mobile does have femtocell devices with similar names but the one posted by the OP isn't one of those.  For anyone that would like to know the difference between T-mobiles devices please check the link below.  In my limited experience with Femtocell devices they have better call quality then you get with WiFi calling with less latency.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/4g-lte-cellspot.htm  

EDIT2:  Please don't think that I am suggesting the deal the OP posted isn't a good device or a good deal.  It appears to be very similar to the router I own and use which I am very happy with.  I just wanted to make sure everyone knows what they are actually getting.  I would have been very disappointed if I got a router when I thought I was getting a femtocell.  T-mobiles marketing of this device is misleading in my opinion.

rated:
I got one of these a while back for $100. I was very happy with it then and very happy with it now.

BUT, please don't underestmate the risk of it taking lots of time to flash this to a stock Asus router. I struggled with it, off and on, for a couple weeks before I finally got it flashed. Yes, I know - a couple weeks - I was not very happy with it during those two weeks. Sure, I probably missed a step somewhere causing the flash to fail the first time. I'll own every bit of that. Nonetheless, it took a LONG time to get that train back on the rails.

I gave up on it many times and then went back a few hours or days later to try "one more thing" - over and over. Were I getting paid a nickel an hour for the time it took me, it probably would have cost $400 for the stupid thing.

Of course, your mileage may vary, some settling may occur during shipment, action figures sold separately, dry clean only, batteries not included, driver carries no cash, do not use chlorine bleach, do not expose to flame, do not puncture or incinerate, do not use in the shower, and any other disclaimers you can think of. I'm just saying what happened to me.

rated:
giqcass said:   The two devices you linked are actual Femtocell devices but the T-Mobile device appears to be a regular WiFi router with QOS.To clarify, the T-Mobile "Cellspot" is not the device offered in the OP.  In my first reply in this thread, I mentioned that the device in the OP is basically an Asus RT-AC68U router but w/ locked firmware.

It was said earlier in this thread:
Finally, if you have NO signal in your area, T-Mobile offers their 4G LTE Cellspot. This device plugs into your router and generates a 3G/4G signal that ANYONE on T-Mobile can use (I believe it supports up to 10 devices at once). On order to use the 4G LET Cellspot you must 1) place the GPS dongle in an area that gets a GPS signal (for 911), and 2) you must TURN OFF wifi calling as wifi calling and the signal generated by the 4G LTE Cellspot conflict.

rated:
TheDiggler said:   
giqcass said:   The two devices you linked are actual Femtocell devices but the T-Mobile device appears to be a regular WiFi router with QOS.
To clarify, the T-Mobile "Cellspot" is not the device offered in the OP.  In my first reply in this thread, I mentioned that the device in the OP is basically an Asus RT-AC68U router but w/ locked firmware.

It was said earlier in this thread:
Finally, if you have NO signal in your area, T-Mobile offers their 4G LTE Cellspot. This device plugs into your router and generates a 3G/4G signal that ANYONE on T-Mobile can use (I believe it supports up to 10 devices at once). On order to use the 4G LET Cellspot you must 1) place the GPS dongle in an area that gets a GPS signal (for 911), and 2) you must TURN OFF wifi calling as wifi calling and the signal generated by the 4G LTE Cellspot conflict.

Because the device the OP linked is named "WiFi Cellspot Router" and the name is so close to "4G LTE CellSpot"  I thought it was worth pointing out how they differ.  When you mentioned it was "basically an Asus RT-AC68U router but w/ locked firmware"  I understood what you were talking about but others may not be techies like I am and like I suspect you are.   It appeared that many people understood what this device was but it still seemed as though some others needed further explanation. 

rated:
giqcass said:   Because the device the OP linked is named "WiFi Cellspot Router" and the name is so close to "4G LTE CellSpot"  I thought it was worth pointing out how they differ.
In that case, good catch!

rated:
what is the normal price for this router??? i mean there is no pts going thru all the trouble of patching the routher to get it back to normal stock firmware to save 20 bucka or so

rated:
TheDiggler said:   During order checkout, you have to select your shipping preference: $5.99 for STANDARD (up to 5 business days), $11.99 for OVERNIGHT (1 business day); however, when you get to the page where you enter your payment info, it changes the shipping fee to $0.00 (at least for STANDARD shipping, didn't test OVERNIGHT). Sales tax gets added (unless you happen to ship it to a state w/o sales tax or w/o a T-Mobile presence).

In for one, thanks OP.  I decided to test the overnight shipping method and got a payment confirmation charging only for the router plus tax, NO CHARGE for overnight shipping.

rated:
guardianx said:   what is the normal price for this router??? i mean there is no pts going thru all the trouble of patching the routher to get it back to normal stock firmware to save 20 bucka or so

It will run you about $150 for the retail Asus version

rated:
Is there any disadvantage in using this router "as is" without flashing to the latest and greatest firmware?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   Is there any disadvantage in using this router "as is" without flashing to the latest and greatest firmware?

It just depends on what makes the "latest" firmware the "greatest" firmware.  

Sometimes the firmware updates include new features, often, they'll include bug fixes, useability improvements, range improvements or security improvements.  If you don't flash, you don't get those features, fixes, or improvements.

rated:
I went for it.

rated:
If I don't have TMobile but need a good router, is this a good deal? I don't want to go through the trouble of reflashing.

rated:
u can still use it out of the box without reflashing. For $60 its a pretty good deal for an ac 1900 name brand, reliable router. the second best alternative is tenda for 50 from micro center

rated:
Just ordered one, looks like free shipping is included at the payment screen, I did the overnight ($11.99) was $0.
$63.97 with tax, good deal

rated:
http://explore.business.t-mobile.com/coverage#cellspot says:
The 4G LTE CellSpot and the Wi-Fi CellSpot™ Router are both available to T-Mobile post-paid customers at no additional cost.

Not sure if it is only for business customers -  I am SOL anyways since i have prepaid. Maybe this can benefit you.

rated:
playmaster said:   http://explore.business.t-mobile.com/coverage#cellspot says:
The 4G LTE CellSpot and the Wi-Fi CellSpot™ Router are both available to T-Mobile post-paid customers at no additional cost.

Not sure if it is only for business customers -  I am SOL anyways since i have prepaid. Maybe this can benefit you.

I think anyone can buy the device in the OPs link.  I don't think you need T-Mobile service at all to buy it from them.  If you are only referring to the lease then yeah you are SOL as a prepaid customer.  I think all postpaid customers can lease the Wi-Fi CellSpot.  I'm not entirely sure about the newer 4G LTE CellSpot.

Skipping 31 Messages...
rated:
This thread says the deal is expired... It isn't. I just bought one.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016