• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
The Western Digital 2TB Caviar
Black refurbished internal 3.5" hard drive is on sale at eBay for $34.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digital-WD2003FYPS-2TB-7200RPM-6...

• Enclosure: Internal
  • Capacity: 2TB
  • Buffer Size: 64MB
  • Hard Drive Type: HDD
  • Spindle Speed: 7200RPM
  • Interface: SATA 3.0Gb/s
  • Designation: Desktop Computer
  • Limit 5 per buyer

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Not for the faint of heart but as a dump drive its a great value. Or get 2 and raid them

rated:
PatioFurniture said:   Not for the faint of heart but as a dump drive its a great value. Or get 2 and raid them
  Or get 3 and Raid-5 them, or 4 and Raid-10 them, or more with more options   

rated:
Thanks for this great sharing.

rated:
Note: only a 90 day warranty!!

rated:
If these follow the Seagate "refurbished" business model...nothing was done to them - they just removed them when they hit approximately the 1/2 way point in their MTBF estimate.

rated:
g0dMAn said:   
PatioFurniture said:   Not for the faint of heart but as a dump drive its a great value. Or get 2 and raid them

or get 3 of them and throw them in my Drobo to fill the 3 empty slots

rated:
The sticker on the example photo says June 2010. I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for them.

rated:
Thanks... too risky for me though!

rated:
g0dMAn said:   

It's quite difficult to get this right. With large drives in general, and these especially, any RAID that handles only 1 failure is not sufficient (RAID 5, 1, 1+0, etc are all not enough, in my view and experience). Reason: after you have a drive failure, you swap the failed drive with a new one, and guess what happens next: the RAID rebuilds, which puts a lot of extra stress on the remaining drives, with no redundancy left. At work we run RAID 6 arrays, and I was surprised to see how many disk failures happen during RAID rebuilds. Software support for RAID 6 is not great and may be buggy, and slow. If you go with hardware RAID, I'd keep a spare controller around: if it dies, I wouldn't be very sure that a different one you'd be able to get off the shelf in a few years would be compatible with the RAID 6 you have today. It would suck a lot to have the data safely on disks, but not be able to assemble the RAID.

rated:
In for two.

rated:
Too risky to use for anything important. Might be a good deal for a secondary PC like for the kids or something.

rated:
olegos said:   
g0dMAn said:   

It's quite difficult to get this right. With large drives in general, and these especially, any RAID that handles only 1 failure is not sufficient (RAID 5, 1, 1+0, etc are all not enough, in my view and experience). Reason: after you have a drive failure, you swap the failed drive with a new one, and guess what happens next: the RAID rebuilds, which puts a lot of extra stress on the remaining drives, with no redundancy left. At work we run RAID 6 arrays, and I was surprised to see how many disk failures happen during RAID rebuilds. Software support for RAID 6 is not great and may be buggy, and slow. If you go with hardware RAID, I'd keep a spare controller around: if it dies, I wouldn't be very sure that a different one you'd be able to get off the shelf in a few years would be compatible with the RAID 6 you have today. It would suck a lot to have the data safely on disks, but not be able to assemble the RAID.

I just a video on how even with RAID, that with incorrect drives, you may not be able to rebuild you array because the drive didn't properly tell the controller of an error, and rewrite the data elsewhere. Then when another drive has a full failure, and the controller goes to rebuild it can't because of the corrupt write on the other drive.

I would buy 2 of these for every 2TB of data. Write it twice, put one back in the shipping box & store in a nice environment.  For this price, I think that is the only way to go.

rated:
Item condition:Manufacturer refurbished “Hard Drive - Clean Pull, Tested and Packaged neatly” 

Those two things are contradictory. If they're pulls, they can't be mfg refurbs. And if they are mfg refurbs, they can't be pulls.

These are just used server drives, that's all that they are. If you're lucky, they cleaned the dust off of them. (I don't know if servers get dusty, I suppose proper server rooms have filtered air.)

Also, OP, these are "Enterprise". They are NOT "Caviar
Black" drives. Those are a different line. Though, the mechanisms may be similar.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016