• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Best Buy has the Lenovo Yoga 900 2-in-1 13.3" (3200 x 1800) Touch-Screen Laptop w/ Core i7-6560U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD (80UE00D1US)  on sale for $699.99 with free shipping.

Deal Notes:

• 13.3" QHD+ (3200 x 1800) 10-point multitouch IPS screen for hands-on control
  • 6th Gen Intel Core i7-6560U mobile processor
  • 8GB 1866 MHz RAM
  • 256GB solid state drive (SSD)
  • 360° flip-and-fold design - Offers four versatile modes — laptop, tablet, tent and stand.
  • Intel Iris Graphics 540
  • 1 USB Type-C port, 2 USB 3.0 ports,1 USB 2.0 port
  • Built-in media reader - Supports SD, MultiMediaCard, SDHC and SDXC memory cards
  • Next-Gen Intel Wireless-AC connectivity
  • Built-in HD webcam with two microphones
  • Backlit keyboard
  • 4-cell lithium-polymer battery.
  • Aluminum chassis
  • Windows 10
  • Weighs 2.84 lbs. and measures 0.6" thin

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I love the specs on this machine. Ordered it yesterday. The only minor negative is single channel memory config but most laptops are being built that way . Even a Dell costco black friday higher end machine, while it has 16gb, it is only one memory dimm.

rated:
Note that you would have to buy a usb-c to hdmi gizmo for external monitor output on this machine.

rated:
Would anyone know how this would compare to the Surface Pro 4 - i5 with 4GB ram??

rated:
Zan86 said:   Would anyone know how this would compare to the Surface Pro 4 - i5 with 4GB ram??

I was reviewing the spec for this Lenovo. On the best buy site, it says that the processor is i7-6560U and the graphics is Intel integrated 540. Looked up the processor on the Intel site

http://ark.intel.com/products/91163/Intel-Core-i7-6560U-Processo...

And under graphics, it mentions 'eDRAM - 64MB"

Here is a link comparing performance of Intel HD 520 (what you would get with i5) versus this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3q7zbh/hd_graphics_520...

From a processor standpoint, it seems like, there is no contest between Yoga and i5 Surface - Yoga will beat the crap out of it in graphics. Also, 64MB eDRAM should help with the CPU performance too. And then finally you are talking about 4GB of RAM versus 8GB.

Bottomline: If you like the form factor, go with the surface. You want a faster performing machine, go with the Yoga.

[Note: I don't have my machine as yet - so just going by specifications. I am really excited to read that the Yoga processor has eDRAM (based on specs) - so hope it is really true].

rated:
Great deal for a good product

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   
Zan86 said:   Would anyone know how this would compare to the Surface Pro 4 - i5 with 4GB ram??

I was reviewing the spec for this Lenovo. On the best buy site, it says that the processor is i7-6560U and the graphics is Intel integrated 540. Looked up the processor on the Intel site

http://ark.intel.com/products/91163/Intel-Core-i7-6560U-Processo... 

And under graphics, it mentions 'eDRAM - 64MB"

Here is a link comparing performance of Intel HD 520 (what you would get with i5) versus this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/3q7zbh/hd_graphics_520_vs_iris_graphics_540_vs_geforce/ 

From a processor standpoint, it seems like, there is no contest between Yoga and i5 Surface - Yoga will beat the crap out of it in graphics. Also, 64MB eDRAM should help with the CPU performance too. And then finally you are talking about 4GB of RAM versus 8GB.

Bottomline: If you like the form factor, go with the surface. You want a faster performing machine, go with the Yoga.

[Note: I don't have my machine as yet - so just going by specifications. I am really excited to read that the Yoga processor has eDRAM (based on specs) - so hope it is really true].

Thanks!!

rated:
Says sold out.

rated:
Yep... might come back in stock... might be in store only on BF now though.

rated:
MikesterRX7 said:   Says sold out.

BestBuy typically has 2 cycles of selling these - one much before and one right around BF - so keep looking.

I went into the store to check out the machine. They didn't have it but they had a bunch of other Yoga machines including the 910. 910 has a slightly larger screen - but other than that, the Yoga computers look awesome - nice finish, really thin and lightweight. My wife was hesitant at first due to the 13.3 screen size but after looking at several other computers, she is sold on this one.

I have to also give kudos to Best Buy - unlike few other retailers who have a very limited supply, BestBuy actually had a nice supply of this machine. This deal didn't vaporize away in the 1st one hour of being posted on Fatwallet. They seem to have a knack of picking some good products and pricing them very nicely for BF. Few years ago they had a D7000 camera package with a 18-140 lens and that was an awesome deal.

rated:
Hoping it comes back!

rated:
A little about this machine... The Yoga 900 is a really solid machine, but until BF this specific model never existed and my guess will be after BF it won't exist again. But unlike most black friday specific SKU deals this isn't a bad thing.

Essentially this model came to be for two reasons... Lenovo released the new yoga 910... and intel released their kabylake series of CPUs... leaving the skylake chips likely discounted a bit.

Looking at this specific model... its a stock yoga 900, not cut down in any way... but there is something special about it... the i7-6560U CPU. This is a skylake chip but one of their higher end specialty skus that gives it HD Iris 540 graphics instead of the 520 graphics in most i7 dual core chipes you see in these things. The bottom line is the Iris 540 graphics benchmark comparatively to an nvidia 940mx dedicated GPU... and a good deal faster than the intel hd 620 graphics in the new 910 units replacing the 900.

So in a way this may be the most powerful 900 sold. Kinda cool really.

rated:
Alchemist42 said:   A little about this machine... The Yoga 900 is a really solid machine, but until BF this specific model never existed and my guess will be after BF it won't exist again. But unlike most black friday specific SKU deals this isn't a bad thing.

Essentially this model came to be for two reasons... Lenovo released the new yoga 910... and intel released their kabylake series of CPUs... leaving the skylake chips likely discounted a bit.

Looking at this specific model... its a stock yoga 900, not cut down in any way... but there is something special about it... the i7-6560U CPU. This is a skylake chip but one of their higher end specialty skus that gives it HD Iris 540 graphics instead of the 520 graphics in most i7 dual core chipes you see in these things. The bottom line is the Iris 540 graphics benchmark comparatively to an nvidia 940mx dedicated GPU... and a good deal faster than the intel hd 620 graphics in the new 910 units replacing the 900.

So in a way this may be the most powerful 900 sold. Kinda cool really.

I do suspect that this is a BestBuy specific configuration. BBY seems to do this so that the consumers cannot do direct comparison shopping and guys at Amazon don't steal all the sales by marking the same exact model a bit lower. That is what happened when I bought the Nikon D7000 with 18-140 lens - that was only a Best Buy configuration - nobody else had it.

540 is not significantly faster than 6420 based on the performance data below.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-First-Kaby-Lake-Benchmarks-le... 

BUT, one has to know the exact memory configuration. It is very unfortunate that most of the PC vendors are shipping systems with memory in 1-DIMM. With that, you have only half the memory bandwidth and that will negatively impact the performance. This is where I expect 540 graphics to shine since it has eDRAM - i.e. there should be less need to go to memory and hence it would less impacted by single channel compare to 620 graphics.

rated:
PrincipalMember said:   

I do suspect that this is a BestBuy specific configuration. BBY seems to do this so that the consumers cannot do direct comparison shopping and guys at Amazon don't steal all the sales by marking the same exact model a bit lower. That is what happened when I bought the Nikon D7000 with 18-140 lens - that was only a Best Buy configuration - nobody else had it.

540 is not significantly faster than 6420 based on the performance data below.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-First-Kaby-Lake-Benchmarks-le... 

BUT, one has to know the exact memory configuration. It is very unfortunate that most of the PC vendors are shipping systems with memory in 1-DIMM. With that, you have only half the memory bandwidth and that will negatively impact the performance. This is where I expect 540 graphics to shine since it has eDRAM - i.e. there should be less need to go to memory and hence it would less impacted by single channel compare to 620 graphics.

Interesting I did a little research on Lenovos site and it looks like this exact model is on their site to for the regular price best buy is asking or there bouts.   While a month ago the 900 had the 6500u cpu the only thing they are selling on their site now is the 6560u cpu...  and they have one model in silver and 3 models in orange.  So i'm guessing they took the rest of their production run of cases and put 6560u cpus in them...  supplied best buy with their black friday unit and have the rest for sale on their site.   My guess is this model is on the way out... so its possible we may see this at similar pricing on Lenovo cyber monday.   We will see. 

I was looking at direct passmark benchmarks for the 520, 620, 540 and 940mx GPUs.  These scores are averages based on hundreds of samples so they give a better relative performance to one another without specific model issues like cpu/gpu throttling, underclocking, memory speed etc.   I'm not sure whats going on with the XPS 13 skylake but I know the new kabylake gained almost zero graphics performance over the skylake model and it should have got a good boost so there is some throttling or underclocking going on.   I suspect underclocking since it didn't even get better performance on the first benchmark run before it had a chance to get hot. 

620 (score=992) - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+620
520 (score=832) - http://videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+520&id=3255
540 (score=1367) - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+Iris+540
nvidia 940mx (score=1221) - http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+940MX

You are right that memory speed can make a big difference in the GPU and the iris 540 won't be impacted by that as much due to its albeit small dedicated memory.   In all likelihood this model uses 1866mhz DDR3 memory as thats what every yoga 900 ive looked at was running.    

rated:
Price back up to 1199.99 and still sold out.

rated:
Looks like this deal expired!  $1199 on BB site now.

rated:
13.3" QHD+ (3200 x 1800) , it's a great screet

rated:
I felt I had missed out on a great deal on this machine but then read reviews of the Yoga 900 line on the Lenovo site. While there are many good reviews, there are many very negative ones. The main things I remember from the comments were: screen cracking simply by opening the machine (many people said this), screen suddenly not working correctly, blue screen quite often, form factor of the power supply taking up two outlets on power strip, short power cord, and many other issues. It was scary. If I do end up buying it, I would get an extended warranty to cover things like drops. Even though these reviewers implied there was no drop, Lenovo wouldn't repair the machines under warranty. Anyway, read the Yoga and even other laptop reviews on the Lenovo site to see the general feeling about Lenovo these days. My current machine is a dual branded (IBM/Lenovo) Thinkpad from 8 years ago which I loved so wanted to start my search with Lenovo. May need to consider other brands after reading the reviews. (Note that Best Buy reviews on this model are positive so I don't know why the Lenovo has approximately as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews.)

rated:
osaka75 said:   I felt I had missed out on a great deal on this machine but then read reviews of the Yoga 900 line on the Lenovo site. While there are many good reviews, there are many very negative ones. The main things I remember from the comments were: screen cracking simply by opening the machine (many people said this), screen suddenly not working correctly, blue screen quite often, form factor of the power supply taking up two outlets on power strip, short power cord, and many other issues. It was scary. If I do end up buying it, I would get an extended warranty to cover things like drops. Even though these reviewers implied there was no drop, Lenovo wouldn't repair the machines under warranty. Anyway, read the Yoga and even other laptop reviews on the Lenovo site to see the general feeling about Lenovo these days. My current machine is a dual branded (IBM/Lenovo ) Thinkpad from 8 years ago which I loved so wanted to start my search with Lenovo. May need to consider other brands after reading the reviews. (Note that Best Buy reviews on this model are positive so I don't know why the Lenovo has approximately as many 1 star reviews as 5 star reviews.)

Started using my machine. Love it - lightweight with nice battery life, is extremely responsive and sharp clear text. Was worried about the screen brightness based on the reviews and the screen was looking a bit dull. Disabled the adaptive brightness control and the screen became nice and bright. Really surprised that Lenovo did not install a whole bunch of bloatware - in fact, one the bloatware detection programs identified Google Toolbar as the only bloatware (something that my wife had installed). Did a windows update and machine is all humming along - no crashes or anything until now.

rated:
IT IS BACK ON SALE!

rated:
Showing sold out here.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016