• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/29-in-Mongoose-Mens-Dual-Suspension-Mountain-Bike-Ledge-3-5-White-/121992946825?hash=item1c6758a489:g:zk8AAOSw9k5XP3n0 
​This may be the cheapest this bike has ever sold for!  I was considering buying two yesterday morning (11/16/16) at $179.99 less 20 percent (using eBay 's "C20SHOPEARLY" coupon expire 11/19/16) but became distracted by other stuff.  When I went back the regular price had dropped to $139.99!  Amazing!!! With the coupon the price became $111.99!!! This is not the best bike in the world, but it does have 29 inch tires and it has an aluminum frame.  Reviews are mixed but mostly on the good side for the price (see you tube videos on how to adjust front disc brake with an allen wrench), replacing the pedals with metal ones and swapping out the rear brake pads).  I understand that you get what you pay for but this still is an incredible deal -- other vendors are selling this exact same bike on Amazon. com for $259.93 (http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-R4058WMC-Mountain-Athletic-21-Speed/dp/B01HYBT0UI/ ​

Member Summary

mongoose (134.11kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I saw this deal going on too. I bought this bike for my son, it was a sale last month and I got it for like $135 shipped. It shipped very quickly NOTE: in an big, obvious package with MONGOOSE all over (glad I have good neighbors) - assembled easily, with some slight adjustments to the back pump brake and the disc brake pads were too tight. Again, only took a few adjustments. I noticed that there was a slight delay on the 1st grip gear to the 2nd, but I didn't bother adjusting the derailleur. All the other gears synced flawlessly.

This bike can grow another 2-3 inches with my already 6'1 son. Rides like a dream for the price, but the seat is not as comfy as my Trek. For this price, it's a 5-star bike!

rated:
I remember reading about a bike company that ships their stuff in TV boxes to lessen breakage. Of course STEALAGE goes up..haha

rated:
price is back up to US $179.99

rated:
The problem with buying an inexpensive bike is that it's also a cheap bike, and prone to falling apart. Made with junk components. No serious bike mechanic will work on it for you and I don't blame them.

There are many items where you can get by with the cheap stuff -- buy wranglers at WalMart instead of Levis
at Kohls maybe -- but bicycles just aren't one of them.

rated:
It's back to $179.99

rated:
AusTexDealSeeker said:   The problem with buying an inexpensive bike is that it's also a cheap bike, and prone to falling apart. Made with junk components. No serious bike mechanic will work on it for you and I don't blame them.

There are many items where you can get by with the cheap stuff -- buy wranglers at WalMart instead of Levis 
at Kohls maybe -- but bicycles just aren't one of them.

I wouldn't consider a Mongoose a low end bike like a WalMart no name.  It's more mid range like a Huffy or Schwinn.

Is it a $1000 bike?  Nah.

rated:
You are not going to get much for $100 when it comes to this kind of  bike.  I read all the reviews and watched the videos on You Tube.  These people knew full well what they were buying and felt that they could wrench it themselves which they did.  I am sure that none of them would embarrass themselves by taking this bike into a bike shop for adjustments.  This bike is far from being a BMW but it is nowhere near being the equivalent of a Hugo. Maybe a Pinto or Chevette?  Doesn't matter much now as the price went back up $40.  At $139.99 less 20 percent it was a steal.  At $179.99 less 20 percent, its just a good price. Cheers! 

​Postscript:  If this bike interests you at the lower price, check back on the eBay website.  As I indicated the price changed from $179.99 to $139.99 yesterday and just changed back to $179.99.  It could change back again.  If it does, and you are interested in the bike, you may get a second chance at a really good deal.

rated:
Price is $89.99 right now making it $72.00 after code RUN!!!

[edit] Back to $139.99

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016