• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
This is $149 direct from Antenna Direct - $120ish open box on eBay. Does both UHF and VHF. Seems like a really good HDTV Antenna for cable cord cutters.

​ClearSteam 4V 

Info:

Antennas Direct 4V 

Member Summary

C4-V-CJM (7.63kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Categorized in
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Got one open box for $69.99. Ive been using a small indoor in the window and its been good for the most part. On TVFool it shows I could get more with a better antenna so I figure it worth a go. Thanks! I suggest getting an amp for this to really make it shine

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   Got one open box for $69.99. Ive been using a small indoor in the window and its been good for the most part. On TVFool it shows I could get more with a better antenna so I figure it worth a go. Thanks! I suggest getting an amp for this to really make it shine

Yeah I used the Mohu flat antennas. Bought 3 at $10/per. They suck. Have to hold it like the old antennas, and rotate around like a ballerina to find channels. Been looking at different more powerful solutions. I think the 4V is a good solution - fairly small and receives UHF and VHF. I'm going to try to install in attic and hope for the best. I will add am amp to try to boost and booster to try to run to multiple locations within house.

BTW the channels I receive now with the Mohu (when they come in strong) are awesome. HDTV over the air is impressive. Now hopefully the channel content improves. 

rated:
So now Ive gone and got:

• 500 ft RG6 Coaxial Cable Quad Shield 18 AWG Coax Satellite TV Black $47.50
  • Klein Tools VDV812-606 Universal Compression Connector, RG6/6Q, Male, 10-Pack $9.57
  • Klein Tools VDV002-818 Coax Installation and Testing Kit $42.42
  • Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier $39.99
  • Channel Master CM3414 4-Port Distribution Amplifier for Cable and Antenna Signal $37.04
  • Open Box - Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V IndoorOutdoor HDTV Antenna BlackSilver $75.76
  • APC C2 AV C Type 2 Outlet Wall Mount Power Filter $42.99

Total $295.27

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   So now Ive gone and got:

• Klein Tools VDV812-606 Universal Compression Connector, RG6/6Q, Male, 10-Pack $9.57
  • Channel Master CM3414 4-Port Distribution Amplifier for Cable and Antenna Signal $37.04
  • Open Box - Antennas Direct ClearStream 4V IndoorOutdoor HDTV Antenna BlackSilver $75.76

Total $295.27

So figuring the avg cost of cable is 55/month, you'll break even in a little over 5 months(assuming no roku and netflex)

rated:

Total $295.27

Once the ball starts rolling it's difficult to stop

Thanks for sharing I will also need to get some of the items on your list. Can you tell me the components/wire you selected is top notch and best prices??? I'm sort of new at this HDTV OTA.

rated:
oharag1 said:   

Total $295.27

Thanks for sharing I will also need to get some of the items on your list. Can you tell me the components/wire you selected is top notch and best prices??? I'm sort of new at this HDTV OTA.

Yes the above items are the "best" as far as Im concerned. You could go cheaper but when amplifying signal you get what you pay for. The power filter is not necessary but I like to use them to power amplifiers and preamplifiers. If you are just doing a short run to a single TV you may not need a splitter/amp but I suggest getting a preamp for sure. Coaxial cable is another thing you can cheap out on but the really cheap stuff sucks to work with and cracks eventually.

Good luck!

rated:
oharag1 said:   

Total $295.27

Monoprice or Meritline may have some of that for less

rated:
Fantastic Find! In for 1. Thanks OP.

rated:
This is awesome price for a great antenna. I am in townhouse complex in Chantilly VA (about 30 miles from sources in DC). And despite of direct blockage of 3-4 story townhouses, this antenna (on a patio on 2nd floor) pulls enough without line of sight to get me all the lower number channels (the big networks). This is the antenna to get if you can't get direct line of sight.

rated:

Total $295.27

I probably wouldn't have bought the Klein testing kit. I've done plenty of coax installations, and never needed to test (except when a company wanted to know cable length, and we really could have just did some math with the length markings). I would actually recommend an HD HomeRun Connect  for getting the best information on channel strength & such. That is an OTA networked HDTV tuner. When I install an antenna, I will connect this device and have a laptop with me next to the antenna, so I can view the signal strength for each channel. As a bonus, you can then view channels on just about any device in your house wirelessly (ipad, android). 

This antenna guy has pretty good customer service. The only bad part is sometimes he is out of the office, but other than that they are very knowledgeable & have a great return policy if you don't like the antenna. The "Stacker" antenna is what they are known for, and it does work very well.

rated:
Reading the Q&A on the manufacturer's website gives me confidence. These guys are legit.

rated:
iLetTheDogsOut said:   I suggest getting an amp for this to really make it shine
  I'll definitely try this. Thanks to you both.

rated:
I have this inside my attic ...

EXTREMEtenna 80 

I got it for around $65 at Frys ... amazing results.Never needed any amplifiers.

rated:
This antenna is a great buy. If I hadn't already just built a new system this summer I would leap on this deal! I was tempted to just as a back up unit.

rated:
MeIsCheap said:   

Total $295.27

I probably wouldn't have bought the Klein testing kit. I've done plenty of coax installations, and never needed to test (except when a company wanted to know cable length, and we really could have just did some math with the length markings). I would actually recommend an HD HomeRun Connect  for getting the best information on channel strength & such. That is an OTA networked HDTV tuner. When I install an antenna, I will connect this device and have a laptop with me next to the antenna, so I can view the signal strength for each channel. As a bonus, you can then view channels on just about any device in your house wirelessly (ipad, android). 

This antenna guy has pretty good customer service. The only bad part is sometimes he is out of the office, but other than that they are very knowledgeable & have a great return policy if you don't like the antenna. The "Stacker" antenna is what they are known for, and it does work very well.

Yeah I doubt Ill use the tester. I just like Klein tools as they are well made and are yet to let me down. Other crimpers that were not the cheap-os were about the same price and like I said Im a sucker for Klein

rated:
Nice find ~ in for 1. Thanks OP.

rated:
This thing was not easy to put together

Hope it works well though! Thanks OP timing was perfect for me (finishing our attic space and about to close the walls up)

rated:
Dead Deal...back up to $170.  BJ's in MD had it for $80 in store.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016