• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:

HDD (29.02kB)
Disclaimer
​8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $144.99 (w/ VISA Checkout) at Best Buy

Must use VISA Checkout to receive $25 OFF

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
This has an SMR (i.e. slow) drive inside, so it's not ideal if you're planning on stripping the drive out. Also, Seagate reliability is legendary (legendarily bad, that is). I don't think I'd use this without mirroring.

rated:
This is a good deal for a 8TB drive.   I have been using one of these as a Plex server, streaming movies to my TV without problem.   It is not a drive you will use for a RAID-5 NAS.  However,, it is good enough for my purpose.  In regards to reliability, I have use Hitachi, WD, and Seagate for the past 30 years,  I do not find Seagate any more less reliable than the other brands.    I have this type of 8GB Seagate Archival drive running 24x7 for the past 2-3 years without a problem.

rated:
I've been using 2 of these removed from their enclosure and put in a NAS with RAID1 for a year now and I'm happy. Even a month ago, $200 was a good deal on this drive.

rated:
Amazing price for 8TB especially for backing up. I picked up the expansion 8TB from Newegg for $169 and that was a good deal. This is even better.  I would have returned to Newegg if I didn't open it last night. 

rated:
Nice deal. I had actually bought this drive on BF for 170. I ordered another one to be shipped to me and will return the first one.

Agree that this is not a good drive for booting, but it should work fine for storing movies and music files. Not too thrilled that it's a Seagate, as I just had two Seagate drives fail in the last week, but this is about 30% cheaper than any of the alternatives. My old Seagates were getting pretty old anyway. I think one of them was about 6 years old and the other one was 4+ years old.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016