• filter:

MERRILL +® Visa Signature® Credit Card 50,000 points for $3000 spend

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Bank of America card.  No annual fee.  50,000 points could be $500 cash or $1000 towards travel.

https://applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VACSTX#b

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I read through the thread and never saw this question answered.  Now that this is back I'm also curious if the Merrill +... (more)

robbierob03 (Mar. 29, 2017 @ 3:20p) |

May need to try this one.

rshaslam (Mar. 30, 2017 @ 9:31p) |

I got this card for me and my wife. Their booking allows multi-city travel in single ticket, scored 2 airline tickets pe... (more)

TXRCDNBOY (Mar. 30, 2017 @ 11:07p) |

Receive a sign up bonus of 50,000 points after $3,000 in spend within the first 90 days.
No annual fee
Spend $50,000 or more a year and choose one of the following:
$200 travel credit that can be used for travel incidentals or
Complimentary Delta Sky Club lounge membership
Card earns 1x point per $1 spent on all purchases
Points never expire and you can redeem your points for gift cards, cash back, statement credit, to offset any purchase or for flight bookings.
Points are worth as follows:
Gift cards: 1¢ per point
Cash back/statement credit: 1¢ per point
Flight bookings: Up to 2¢ per point
You’ll also earn frequent flyer miles and elite qualifying miles on these flights as well. If flights are under $500, you’ll still need to pay the minimum of 25,000 points. For flights over $500, you’ll only get a value of 1¢ a point (and this is done in increments of 2,500 points).
.......................................................................................................................................................................................
The steps for maximizing the value on the Merrill Lynch travel portal have been covered before. I just hit 50,000 points, so I can confirm that it works this way.

Assuming you spent exactly $3,000 to trigger the 50,000 point bonus, you will have 53,000 points. (If you went a little over $3,000, just substitute your amount)
To extract the most value, you need to book 2 separate flights. It can be 2 round trips or 2 one-ways. This can be done with 2 separate bookings or by booking for 2 people at the same time.

If booking 2 separate times, you just have to make sure you will still have 25,000 points left over after your first booking. So your first flight can't cost more than $530. Then your second flight, to get the most value from your remaining 25,000 points, can be anything over $500. You just have to pay for the amount that goes beyond your point value. Example:
Flight 1: $516 = 26,600 points
Flight 2: $720 = 26,400 points + $206
You get $1000 worth out of your points.

But if you are booking 2 flights by booking for 2 people at once, it looks like you have more flexibility when going over the $500 flight price. When you first search for a flight when booking for two people, it will, for instance, say that a $600 flight will cost 35,000 points per person. Obviously, you don't have 70,000 points. But when you go all the way through the booking process, the default payment option at the end is 50,000 points plus $200 ($100 overage per person).

Essentially, the easiest way to get full value out of this is for two people to travel together on any itinerary over $500.

Also, I've noticed that they actually give you a $5 cushion, so a $510.12 flight will cost 25,512 points, instead of 26,012 points. I didn't include the $5 cushion in any of my calculations above.
...............................................................................................................................................................................................

It only took 5 mins to call and get every single point credited to my statement as cash.  So much easier than dealing with gift cards.
...............................................................................................................................................................................................
FYI... This card is issued and serviced by Bank of America, but it is not a Bank of America credit card.

This is now dead.
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My application is under review.

rated:
I applied for this a couple weeks ago and it was under review for more than a week. While I was waiting I applied for a second card - they automatically cancelled my application for the second card.
I did get approved for the first card though - just waiting for it to show up in the mail now.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   My application is under review.
mine was too .. i applied yesterday i think ... i googled and found the reconsideration number somewhere ...  they said it wasn't any problem, asked me few questions and then approved it.

rated:
prozario said:   
DTASFAB said:   My application is under review.
mine was too .. i applied yesterday i think ... i googled and found the reconsideration number somewhere ...  they said it wasn't any problem, asked me few questions and then approved it.

Eh, I'm in no rush.

rated:
I've had this card for years. Customer service is a complete joke. It usually takes 1/2 hour to get through to anyone and it's sometimes even longer than that. People at the call centers seem pretty inexperienced too. I avoid using the card now at all costs -- it used to be the card I'd use for travel since it was the only one I had with no extra foreign transaction fee. It took over an hour to get through to someone to replace a lost card while I was traveling -- ridiculous.

rated:
you get this card for the bonus really. Its maybe the biggest bonus from BoA cards (except alaska airlines?) and no AF. then...you put it away.

rated:
this deal has been around for a while now....(via doctorofcredit)
my application had also gone for review - i didnt care or call, then the card showed up online under bofa credit cards....in a week.

rated:
I already have 3 other Bank of America credit cards, total CL of the three accounts combined is $12.5K. Is that going to interfere with approval? Credit score >800.

rated:
uuuuut said:   I've had this card for years. Customer service is a complete joke. It usually takes 1/2 hour to get through to anyone and it's sometimes even longer than that. People at the call centers seem pretty inexperienced too. I avoid using the card now at all costs -- it used to be the card I'd use for travel since it was the only one I had with no extra foreign transaction fee. It took over an hour to get through to someone to replace a lost card while I was traveling -- ridiculous.

So how would one use the bonus miles?  Do i have to user their portal to buy 2 separate tickets and each has to be worth  close to $500 to get the max value?  If roundtrip ticket cost $499 .. will that work?

rated:
I don't want travel. How hard is it to redeem the bonus as cash/statement credit?

rated:
How You Use Your Points: Redeem points for travel, cash rewards and gift cards. Anytime, Anywhere™ Air Rewards start at 25,000 Merrill Points for flights up to $500 (inclusive of taxes and fees). Cash rewards start at 3,000 Merrill Points and shall be issued for a U.S. dollar sum equal to 1% of the amount of Merrill Points redeemed in the form of a statement credit, an electronic deposit to a Bank of America® checking or savings account or a contribution to an eligible Merrill Lynch Cash Management Account®. The redemption value for gift cards varies. Points Forfeiture: Your account must be open and in good standing to earn and redeem points. You will lose your points if the account is closed for any reason. Rewards Program Rules: Program Rules containing additional details will be sent to you with your new account materials. Other significant terms apply. Program subject to change. For more information, visit mymerrill.com.  Bonus Points Offer. You will qualify for 50,000 bonus points if you use your new credit card account to make any combination of Purchase transactions totaling at least $3,000 (exclusive of any fees, returns and adjustments) that post to your account within 90 days of the account open date. Limit one (1) bonus points offer per new account. This one-time promotion is limited to new customers opening an account in response to this offer. Other advertised promotional bonus points offers can vary from this promotion and may not be substituted. Allow 8-12 weeks from qualifying for the bonus points to post to your rewards balance. The value of this reward may constitute taxable income to you. You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 (or other appropriate form) that reflects the value of such reward. Please consult your tax advisor, as neither we, nor our affiliates, provide tax advice.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   I already have 3 other Bank of America credit cards, total CL of the three accounts combined is $12.5K. Is that going to interfere with approval? Credit score >800.
  Should be ok. 

rated:
DTASFAB said:   I already have 3 other Bank of America credit cards, total CL of the three accounts combined is $12.5K. Is that going to interfere with approval? Credit score >800.
  I have 6 BofA CC's plus this new Merrill card. 
oh, and by the way BofA customer service is lousy, but they make up for it with the lucrative bonus deals.

rated:
You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 that reflects the value of bonus reward.

rated:
DTASFAB said:   I don't want travel. How hard is it to redeem the bonus as cash/statement credit?

isn't the best use travel??

rated:
Since this is a co-branded CC w/ ML, I assume the applicant need to have an account w/ either BOA or ML -- i.e. other than a BOA Credit Card?

rated:
Was interested until I saw...
cameron2003 said:   Bank of America

rated:
How easy are these points to transfer? Many BOA points can be transferred to other cards such as the AAA, although this is nor publicized.

rated:
confused200 said:   Since this is a co-branded CC w/ ML, I assume the applicant need to have an account w/ either BOA or ML -- i.e. other than a BOA Credit Card?
  nope, I had 2 boa cards and that's it with either.

rated:
What is the reconsider customer service/senior analyst phone number if I want to contact with them right now, anybody knows it?

rated:
are they still paying 10% for transferring bonus to a BOA ca or savings acct?

rated:
barrytuneup said:   are they still paying 10% for transferring bonus to a BOA ca or savings acct?

Does this card even allow transferring to a BOA ca or savings acct??

if not Best way to monetize $1000 towards travel? 

rated:
Bobobo said:   What is the reconsider customer service/senior analyst phone number if I want to contact with them right now, anybody knows it?

google it .. i found it, forgot where i did.  I found it in another reward related site .. it should be near top of google search.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   
barrytuneup said:   are they still paying 10% for transferring bonus to a BOA ca or savings acct?

Does this card even allow transferring to a BOA ca or savings acct??

if not Best way to monetize $1000 towards travel? 

u can cash it in and get only $500 ... or get travel credits for upto $500 per ticket for total of $1,000 value.  There are some tricks about it .. google and read up on it.   Basically upto $500 per ticket cost i think 25,000 points (even if price of tix is $200 .. you still pay same points .. so best bet is to have ticket costing $500).  Over $500 .. points value goes  down.  So best bet is, find two tickets i think each at $500.. to get max value of $1,000.  I don't know the details of whether u need to buy these 2 tix separately, and whether roundtrip tix in single charge count as 1 ticket or not.

rated:
sloppy1 said:   You may be issued an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099 that reflects the value of bonus reward.
Can anyone comment from prior applications, 1099 or no 1099?

rated:
I wonder

1) how many BoA cards are too many
2) whether this card can be converted to Better Balance Rewards after all is said and done.

rated:
pending review, thanks OP

rated:
MDfive21 said:   pending review, thanks OP
  Me too .... first Chase now this.  Guess I have too many recent card apps

rated:
millervtranger said:   
confused200 said:   Since this is a co-branded CC w/ ML, I assume the applicant need to have an account w/ either BOA or ML -- i.e. other than a BOA Credit Card?

I did notice they ask for the size of the relationship and for permission to talk to Merrill to confirm this. I have not seen this on other applications.

For those with substantial accounts with them, this should make them feel more secure in granting the card, and possibly in giving a credit line that was say 10% of the amount of the relationship. (Say granting a $25,000 limit to someone with over  quarter million with Merrill.)

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
millervtranger said:   

I did notice they ask for the size of the relationship and for permission to talk to Merrill to confirm this. I have not seen this on other applications.

For those with substantial accounts with them, this should make them feel more secure in granting the card, and possibly in giving a credit line that was say 10% of the amount of the relationship. (Say granting a $25,000 limit to someone with over  quarter million with Merrill.)

It's BofA. One hand doesn't even know what the other is doing. More likely they'll give a guy with $400 in his checking $25k line and someone with $250k a denial. 

rated:
This doesn't sound good:
We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time.
What’s next?
We are reviewing your application and will send you a letter letting you know our decision.
We appreciate your interest. Thanks again.

Guess my 800+ FICO doesn't cut it. I do have 2 other cards with them, one I occassionally use. I've also got a checking account with them.

rated:
i got the same thing, 24 hours later the card was in my online account.

rated:
Mine has been approved and is showing up with my other Bank of America accounts online. I was approved for a $5K credit line, $2K of which is available for cash advances. One quick visit to CVS and one quick visit to Whole Foods once the card arrives should qualify me for the 50,000 point bonus.

rated:
fungo45 said:   This doesn't sound good:
We’re sorry but we’re unable to give you a decision at this time.
What’s next?
We are reviewing your application and will send you a letter letting you know our decision.
We appreciate your interest. Thanks again.

Guess my 800+ FICO doesn't cut it. I do have 2 other cards with them, one I occassionally use. I've also got a checking account with them.

should be fine.  I got similar message and call the re-consideratin line ... and i asked i think i was rejected can you look into it.  They responded saying, we didn't reject anything .. and then she looked at it, and told me - all processed now.

I'm guessing that's their standard message - perhaps they don't have instant approval.

rated:
What is the "reconsideration line" number ?

rated:

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
millervtranger said:   

I do not think they are using the size of your Merrill Edge account to determine the CL for this card.  I got a $5k CL with a pretty large account value at Merrill. 
Thinking I got a small CL due to having 6 other BofA CC's with $115k worth of CL's.

rated:
cameron2003 said:   Just look here: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/application-status/app-status-form.go
  Thanks ... but this morning it seems they approved my card. 

Edit:  Just checked for the heck of it.  That didn't provide a recon line number just a status check which was wrong anyway!

Skipping 163 Messages...
rated:
I got this card for me and my wife. Their booking allows multi-city travel in single ticket, scored 2 airline tickets per card for summer family vacation from dfw to Alaska/Los Angeles, 1 week each in Anchorage/LA and back to dfw. I had to pay $124 to match exact flight on both cards, still 4 tickets is great return on this bonus.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017