Asus T-Mobile 802 11ac Router w/ Magazine Sub+$58.50@Tanga

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

ASUS TM-AC1900 Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router BRAND NEW - Tanga
Disclaimer
Tanga is offering the Asus T-Moible CellSpot Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Gigabit Router model no.TM -AC1990, together with 1-year magazine subscription of yor choice for $58.50 with free shipping .

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Asus
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is a good deal. I got one from TMobile and it was easy to convert it to stock ASUS firmware.

I'm confused. Can this be used as a normal router?

HiLifeATL said:   I'm confused. Can this be used as a normal router?
  Yup. Right out of the box it's a normal router. The firmware is a bit dated though. Converting it to standard Asus firmware also allows you to manage the router via an app on your tablet or smartphone.

emmagata said:   
HiLifeATL said:   I'm confused. Can this be used as a normal router?
  Yup. Right out of the box it's a normal router. The firmware is a bit dated though. Converting it to standard Asus firmware also allows you to manage the router via an app on your tablet or smartphone.

Very true, and if you know what you are doing it's not very hard at all once you locate the directions, files to do it.  Some of the required files Asus does not have for download anymore.
If you are not at all technologically inclined you might pass on doing this upgrade yourself - if done wrong you can turn your router into an expensive, useless, brick.
Even without doing the upgrade many people are quite happy running it as a normal router with the T-Mobile firmware.

There's all kinds of info on this baby and doing the upgrade all over the internet - Google it.

Got this a couple of weeks ago directly from T-Mobile for the same price on another FW deal. Running with the stock T-Mobile firmware and it is fine for my needs. No issues with set up and so far very fast and stable. Excellent deal on the hardware your getting whether you run stock firmware or are a techie looking to convert to other firmware.

Normally, running this T-Mob router on stock firmware is just fine and rock steady. However in this case where the router is being bought from an untrusted third party seller, I would highly recommended changing the firmware to mitigate any malware that may have been introduced to cause harm. Its just a recommendation.

tommyy22 said: Some of the required files Asus does not have for download anymore.
If you are not at all technologically inclined you might pass on doing this upgrade yourself

I purchased this router but was hesitant due to your comment.  However, I found the links to the latest firmware on Asus's web page for the router, firmware for the RT-AC68U.  Also, the manual is available there, RT-AC68U manual

Or, were you referring to the T-Mobile files that are not available?

Daddio1949 said:   
tommyy22 said: Some of the required files Asus does not have for download anymore.
If you are not at all technologically inclined you might pass on doing this upgrade yourself

First off this is not any kind of normal software upgrade I've ever seen.  Nothing on Asus site will prepare you for what must be done.

The normal firmware that is upgraded is what runs the router, what boots it up first and allows it to run is the CFE (Common Firmware Environment).  The T-Moble CFE must be replaced with an Asus CFE and that Upgrade process is a PITA also something that can brick the router.   The CFE contains 3 Mac Addresses (*Note that two of the mac addresses will be the same address) and a Security code, all of which are unique to the Router it is installed in.  You have to copy the 3 Mac addresses and security code from your routers T Mobile CFE to the new Asus CFE you want to use, then you can replace the original CFE with the edited Asus CFE you just created.  At that point you can start loading Asus Firmware HOWEVER  newer Asus Firmware is quite larger then the older stuff so you must load a specific version of the Asus Firmware(don't remember but if you research it you'll find out)  to enable the newer larger Firmware to load and run correctly on the router.  At that point you can load New Asus Firmware, Merlin, Tomato, etc etc.
Steps for CFE:
*note before you can telnet into the router you have to go back to an older firmware version that will allow telnet (Google is your friend).

1. Obtain a USB flash drive and note the name (including case) of the USB drive using a PC
  2. Download all necessary CFE files and utilities to edit them and flash the new CFE
  3. Manually set a static IP address on the PC and enable the Telnet utility
  4. Connect to router using Telnet and save a copy of the original CFE from the router to the USB flash drive
  5. Edit and save the new CFE version (from step 2) with values from original CFE (from step 4) using a hex editor on a PC
  6. Flash the newly edited CFE using the flashing utility from the USB flash drive
  7. Reset router defaults and verify new CFE version

There is a program that is now available to update the the CFE automatically (don't remember but again if you look you will find it.

Here's one guys video on doing it (not great but you'll get the idea).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s

There are other youtube videos, and several step by step procedures that can be followed if you want to try (google is your friend).  One source of several step by step procedures I found is on another deals website, hotdeals or slippery deals or something like that.

Check it out.
If you feel comfortable with the complexity of what has to be done  - go for it.
but if you'd rather not take the chance on bricking your router that's good to.

I purchased this router but was hesitant due to your comment.  However, I found the links to the latest firmware on Asus's web page for the router, firmware for the RT-AC68U.  Also, the manual is available there, RT-AC68U manual

Or, were you referring to the T-Mobile files that are not available?

I followed the directions in the member summary from the previous T-Mobile thread.

Anyone know which firmwares can run multiple print servers?

tommyy22 said:   
Daddio1949 said:   

First off this is not any kind of normal software upgrade I've ever seen.  Nothing on Asus site will prepare you for what must be done.

The normal firmware that is upgraded is what runs the router, what boots it up first and allows it to run is the CFE (Common Firmware Environment).  The T-Moble CFE must be replaced with an Asus CFE and that Upgrade process is a PITA also something that can brick the router.   The CFE contains 3 Mac Addresses (*Note that two of the mac addresses will be the same address) and a Security code, all of which are unique to the Router it is installed in.  You have to copy the 3 Mac addresses and security code from your routers T Mobile CFE to the new Asus CFE you want to use, then you can replace the original CFE with the edited Asus CFE you just created.  At that point you can start loading Asus Firmware HOWEVER  newer Asus Firmware is quite larger then the older stuff so you must load a specific version of the Asus Firmware(don't remember but if you research it you'll find out)  to enable the newer larger Firmware to load and run correctly on the router.  At that point you can load New Asus Firmware, Merlin, Tomato, etc etc.
Steps for CFE:
*note before you can telnet into the router you have to go back to an older firmware version that will allow telnet (Google is your friend).

1. Obtain a USB flash drive and note the name (including case) of the USB drive using a PC
  2. Download all necessary CFE files and utilities to edit them and flash the new CFE
  3. Manually set a static IP address on the PC and enable the Telnet utility
  4. Connect to router using Telnet and save a copy of the original CFE from the router to the USB flash drive
  5. Edit and save the new CFE version (from step 2) with values from original CFE (from step 4) using a hex editor on a PC
  6. Flash the newly edited CFE using the flashing utility from the USB flash drive
  7. Reset router defaults and verify new CFE version

There is a program that is now available to update the the CFE automatically (don't remember but again if you look you will find it.

Here's one guys video on doing it (not great but you'll get the idea).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6D0LMkm3s

There are other youtube videos, and several step by step procedures that can be followed if you want to try (google is your friend).  One source of several step by step procedures I found is on another deals website, hotdeals or slippery deals or something like that.

Check it out.
If you feel comfortable with the complexity of what has to be done  - go for it.
but if you'd rather not take the chance on bricking your router that's good to.

Or, were you referring to the T-Mobile files that are not available?

The method I used  (I'd have to search for it) did not require the use of a thumb drive nor did it require going back to a previous version to enable telnet. The procedure I used had you use SSH which is in (but disabled) the firmware that was on the router when I got it.

It was actually quite simple as long as you followed it step by step. It took maybe 20-30 minutes total. Then the I allowed to router to upgrade via the method built in to the router firmware. Oddly the version it downloaded in not on the Asus website yet.

The method I used  (I'd have to search for it) did not require the use of a thumb drive nor did it require going back to a previous version to enable telnet. The procedure I used had you use SSH which is in (but disabled) the firmware that was on the router when I got it.

It was actually quite simple as long as you followed it step by step. It took maybe 20-30 minutes total. Then the I allowed to router to upgrade via the method built in to the router firmware. Oddly the version it downloaded in not on the Asus website yet.

]http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=92546119&postcount=5816 

dafish said:   

]http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=92546119&postcount=5816

That's it. Thanks. Bookmarked now.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017