Free 1 Year Coinfetch subscription (automated price matching when prices drop). Ends Dec 31.

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I've been using a service called Coinfetch (http://www.coinfetch.com ) to save money on clothes and toys. They keep track of all of my purchases and automatically files claims with retailers if the price drops on something I bought. So far I've scored slightly over $60 in refunds from Gymboree on clothes that I bought for my little one.

It's currently free for a year for new users who sign up before the end of the year. 

Hope this saves others some money too.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have to tell you - I was going to sign up for Coinfetch based on your recommendation... Then something bad happened:

Coinfetch asked for information to "view and manage" my mail, in addition to "view your basic profile info" - both on google. 

Can you please explain why either is necessary? 

Coinfetch needs email access because of how it works. Most merchants offer a price adjustment period on purchases where they give you the difference back if the price drops. Merchants change prices often, throughout the day and night, and it is nearly impossible to manually keep track of everything. You also have to request the price adjustment before they raise the price again.

Coinfetch scans email receipts for items within this adjustment window automatically. It then checks the price of the items continuously within the adjustment period and if the price is ever lower than your purchase price, an email is immediately sent on your behalf to the merchant for a refund. 

One way around the privacy issue is to create a new email account dedicated to shopping receipts.

I hear you - but this bucks the current trend, consumers want more protection on their personal data, emails, not less. I personally don't want anyone scanning my personal emails, sorry. At the same time, I get the logic behind how Coinfetch works. I guess my signing up ultimately would also depend on the aggregate amount refunded and my  trust in Coinfetch's security. I think the site would have to counter my objections - as these would be the same as those of many average potential users.

Interesting concept, just not one I'd feel comfortable using;  at least not yet. 

thanks OP

With signup you have to agree them to automatically delete your gmail emails if necessary. What kind of permission is that?

Worse than that, their privacy policy allows them to sell ALL your private info (name, email, address,date of birth, account info, shopping account info, and anything else you provide or they can gather) to any third party. I added the bold for emphasis.

"5.5. Business Transfers. In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if the Service or Company, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, liquidated, or dissolved, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred. "

They also include widgets on their site that'll collect MORE info on you via social media "even when you do not explicitly activate the network's application or widget". Basically, they grab it without asking.

Stay far away from this if you at all value privacy!

Not for everyone, but it works. Saving real money. Just create a separate email address for purchases.

Should read "not for anyone in their right mind". Spam is the least of the concern with something like this.

Not for everyone, but definitely for a lot of people as well. Collectively, these types of services have over a million users so they must be doing something right. Some users can save hundreds on a single claim from pricier retailers like Nordstroms. 

Bump. Last day for this. Happy New Year!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017