This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals

(NEW) Dell Seagate ST33000650NS 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive - $78.99 w/ FS @ ebay

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Seagate Constellation ES.2 3 TB Internal HDD - 3.5
Disclaimer
Apethouse via eBay has the (NEW) Dell Seagate ST33000650NS 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive on sale for $78.99 with free shipping. This item has received 5/5 stars based on 7 eBay customer reviews.

• 3.5" Form Factor
  • HDD
  • 64MB Cache
  • Shock Sensor
  • Hot Swap
  • 2.9TB Storage
  • 7200RPM Rotation
  • 6-Gb/s SATA Drive Interface
  • Internal Enclosure
  • 3-Yr. Warranty

This hard drive is currently selling on Amazon for $99.98 shipped.

The next lowest price for this hard drive from a rated merchant on Google Shopping is $162.46 shipped. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm guessing the 3-year warranty is from the e.Bay seller not Dell or Seagate since these are OEM relabeled drives. I'm also wondering how these OEM drives made their way to e.Bay instead of being used by Dell.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/goHardDrive

I think a safer bet would (*may) be this Toshiba P300 3TB (2yr warranty) even though its not an "enterprise" drive @ Newegg for $75   , LINKY 

stereo55 said:   I think a safer bet would be this Toshiba P300 3TB (2yr warranty) @ Newegg for $75   , LINKY
  These Dell Seagate are enterprise grade hard drives not consumer grade HDDs. They carry a premium because they are built to last much longer

iLetTheDogsOut said:   
stereo55 said:   I think a safer bet would be this Toshiba P300 3TB (2yr warranty) @ Newegg for $75   , LINKY
  These Dell Seagate are enterprise grade hard drives not consumer grade HDDs. They carry a premium because they are built to last much longer

I understand that and know what an "enterprise" drive is  , but a 3 yr warranty from an unknown (if covered only by the eBay seller) does not sit well with me and maybe others. I was purely relating drive size and price that "might" be more suitable for some (I semi updated my post to reflect that). 

According to the pictures shown on e.Bay, the DOM (date of manufacture) is 10/2012, so this drive was made 4+ years ago. It could be NOS (new old stock) or it's now discontinued by the manufacturer.

25,000 hours "refurb" sold as new, with the SMART data wiped, if comments on SD deal site are true.

SD thread " ... "sold via goHardDrive". And apethouse and goharddrive (and eBay stores goharddrive and gohdd) are all the same company and seller.".
and "...good luck with the seller that has (always) doing reset smart data to treat as a brand new drive...".
Buyers please test with https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki and report back on the seller.
"...Thanks for this link. I ran it and mine had 25,760 hours! Initiating RMA through Newegg. Are you guys taking any other actions against this seller?..." 

Additional listings for the same item

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161690640516 ($76.88)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162156765736 ($75.99)(1-yr warr)

Yeah... 4-year-old-plus drives sold en masse on eBay = pulled from servers. Get the new Toshibas. I've got... 7 of them, I think.

eBay seller can claim it has a 10 year warranty...but what are you going to do if they refuse to fix it in 6 months? The reality is the warranty is only as long as you can file an eBay dispute...which I believe is 30 days.

Recently I got two 3TB Hitachi drives HUS724030ALE641 for about $65 each on eBay. These drives had the highest reliability rate by a few studies, much higher than Seagate and WD.

So, given that the HDD's are a scam (25K hours, but sold as "new" as per the post above), how did this seller get over 66000 99.9% positive ratings??
Can we not trust eBay ratings anymore?

It's interesting that the seller is "apethouse", yet the store is called "GoHDD". Did GoHDD buy "apethouse" to get their good ratings, and is now scamming people?

ES.2 ST33000650NS 3TB at Amazon by goHardDrive (looks like same seller to me) for $74.99 and interestingly enough is listed as "Certified Refurbished on Amazon ":
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Constellation-ST33000650NS-7200RPM-Enterprise/dp/B01JKG99VU/ 

And while we're at it, here's an alternative for $69.99 + Prime F/S with 5-stars from 32 reviews & also "Certified Refurbished on Amazon ":
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F17731) 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive (Certified Refurbished)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYVD7ME/ 

The 2 Amazon reviews seems to confirm these are used drive. Out of 6 drives one was DOA. Also they were manufactured in 2012, not really a problem, but they've been around a while.
Purchased 2 drives and one failed within 3 months.

Sorry, OP, I was looking for one but pass.

Thanks to all that did the digging to turn up what a scam this is.

I don't think I've used a hard drive warranty in at least a decade, but I don't want to buy a heavily used mechanical device-especially where the seller doesn't disclose that it is used.

I want to WARN all of you - I've had a few 3TB Seagate drives in the past. Had. They have a higher failure rate than regular hard drives. Quality control was not up to standard during the manufacturing of these drives.

New or Refurbished question
Disclaimer
I sent the seller a question through e.Bay and this is their reply

I agree this is a fly by night seller and warranty is worth nothing.  Even at $65 for this drive (apply CNEWYEAR15OFF and get $15 off through paypal), this is not worth it.   I would gladly pay a few dollars more for a better warranty. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017