This deal has expired. See Today's Best Deals
  • filter:
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
WD My Book® 6TB External Hard Drive With Backup, USB 3.0/2.0, Black Item # 248557

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/248557/WD-My-Book-6TB-External-Hard/ 

​Stock seems low. It's still available online. Just got one myself.

More deals in the official Office Depot coupon thread.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
OOS

rated:
What kind of drive is inside when you open up the case?

Not OOS BTW, I was just able to order one.

rated:
Yes please someone tell me the model number of the drive inside. I want to get 5 (4 + a spare) for my older DS410 Synology NAS to max it's storage out and it only lists these as compatible in the 6TB/WD group ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&... ):

Model Number Series Firmware Capacity Type Class 4K Native Note
Western Digital WD6001FFWX - 68Z39N0 Red Pro 81.00A81 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD6001FSYZ - 01SS7B1 Re ER03 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Enterprise no
Western Digital WD6001FZWX - 00A2VA0 Black 01.01A01 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68L0BN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN0 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EZRX - 00MVLB1 Green 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64LZMY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64T0ZY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD6NPURX - 64JC5Y0 Purple NV 01.008N0 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no

I guess I could return to the store if they don't work but it'd be great to know what the model number of the drive found inside from someone who bought one.

rated:
randyest said:   Yes please someone tell me the model number of the drive inside. I want to get 5 (4 + a spare) for my older DS410 Synology NAS to max it's storage out and it only lists these as compatible in the 6TB/WD group ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&category=hdds&p=1&product_bays=4&product_name=DS410&filter_size=6TB¬_recommend_mode=false ):

Model Number Series Firmware Capacity Type Class 4K Native Note
Western Digital WD6001FFWX - 68Z39N0 Red Pro 81.00A81 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD6001FSYZ - 01SS7B1 Re ER03 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Enterprise no
Western Digital WD6001FZWX - 00A2VA0 Black 01.01A01 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68L0BN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN0 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EZRX - 00MVLB1 Green 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64LZMY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64T0ZY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD6NPURX - 64JC5Y0 Purple NV 01.008N0 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no

I guess I could return to the store if they don't work but it'd be great to know what the model number of the drive found inside from someone who bought one.

  
Just curious, would you educate us a little bit? Which ones are good/bad?
 

rated:
kevin8472 said:   
randyest said:   Yes please someone tell me the model number of the drive inside. I want to get 5 (4 + a spare) for my older DS410 Synology NAS to max it's storage out and it only lists these as compatible in the 6TB/WD group ( https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=products&category=hdds&p=1&product_bays=4&product_name=DS410&filter_size=6TB¬_recommend_mode=false ):

Model Number Series Firmware Capacity Type Class 4K Native Note
Western Digital WD6001FFWX - 68Z39N0 Red Pro 81.00A81 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD6001FSYZ - 01SS7B1 Re ER03 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Enterprise no
Western Digital WD6001FZWX - 00A2VA0 Black 01.01A01 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68L0BN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN0 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EFRX - 68MYMN1 Red 82.00A82 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD NAS no
Western Digital WD60EZRX - 00MVLB1 Green 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Desktop no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64LZMY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD60PURX - 64T0ZY0 Purple 80.00A80 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no
Western Digital WD6NPURX - 64JC5Y0 Purple NV 01.008N0 6TB 3.5" SATA HDD Surveillance no

I guess I could return to the store if they don't work but it'd be great to know what the model number of the drive found inside from someone who bought one.

  
Just curious, would you educate us a little bit? Which ones are good/bad?


  The Reds are what you'd want in a NAS but the likelihood of there being anything other than a Green (cheapest, slowest of the WD drives) or Blue is very slim.

rated:
Looking at Amazon for this drive and there is a review(the 1st one) that has it taken apart, dated August 14th, 2015 and it is a Green Drive (WD60EZRX)

Edit: The link to the drive and review...  https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBFJK0060HBK-NESN/dp/B00KU686HI/

rated:
OOS for delivery now, but good deal. Thanks, OP.

rated:

rated:
DrummerJoe said:   
  The Reds are what you'd want in a NAS but the likelihood of there being anything other than a Green (cheapest, slowest of the WD drives) or Blue is very slim.

  The cheap green drives work find in most NAS devices as long as you disable the idle.

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   
DrummerJoe said:   
  The Reds are what you'd want in a NAS but the likelihood of there being anything other than a Green (cheapest, slowest of the WD drives) or Blue is very slim.

  The cheap green drives work find in most NAS devices as long as you disable the idle.

  
They absolutely work - any SATA drive will work - but if the drives are not programmed and manufactured for NAS use, the life of the drives themselves, as well as NAS performance, will be degraded.

rated:

rated:
DrummerJoe said:   
supersnoop00 said:   
DrummerJoe said:   
  The Reds are what you'd want in a NAS but the likelihood of there being anything other than a Green (cheapest, slowest of the WD drives) or Blue is very slim.

  The cheap green drives work find in most NAS devices as long as you disable the idle.

  
They absolutely work - any SATA drive will work - but if the drives are not programmed and manufactured for NAS use, the life of the drives themselves, as well as NAS performance, will be degraded.

  The only real difference between a green drive and a red drive (consumer versus NAS) is TLER support and the idle spin-down timeout.  The vast majority of consumer- and mid-grade NAS devices doesn't utilize TLER.  The idle timeout can be disabled on green drives.  Green drives should actually have better performance than red drives because red's are 5400RPM, while green's run at 5900RPM.

If your device will actually utilize TLER, or if you aren't savvy enough to disable the idle timeout, spend the extra money on red drives.  But green drives will perform identically if configured properly.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017