REI Garage| 50% Off Select Jackets $14.73

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
REI Garage  is offering jackets for the whole family. They've been marked down by 50% with prices starting at only $14.73. Free store pick-up or get free shipping on orders of $50 or more

Member Summary

REI
Thanks Virgil27
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

No matter how much REI try to make things look cheap, they rarely succeed.

TellyTubby said:   No matter how much REI try to make things look cheap, they rarely succeed.
  For sure, expensive.  BUT, lifetime no-questions-asked warranty on their products(other than expected wear and tear) at least gets out of the race-to-the-bottom quality war as it gives them incentive to carry quality products. If you're doing growing or adding/losing weight for a while you can get 20 years out of their products if you don't feel the need to keep up with fashion.

Good deal. Sizing selection is limited. Double check the size guides--some of this clothing is for very technical sports like rock climbing and runs small. Other jackets are meant to go over of layers of insulation and will run big without these layers.

REI is where you go to buy technical clothing that can save your life. If you are out in the woods in the pouring rain 12 miles away from the nearest logging road, and then the temperatures drop below freezing, you need a piece of clothing that keeps you dry so you don't die of hypothermia. 
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/12/26/massachusetts-hiker-dies-new-hampshire/mFINjSPVkAaCyK5zbgRkJN/story.html

Does $750 for a jacket (Arctery'x shell) sound expensive to you? 

Rule of thumb--->Unless it says "Columbia" or "Under Amour" on it, it is not meant for the office.

Eng8492 said:   
Rule of thumb--->Unless it says "Columbia " or "Under Amour" on it, it is not meant for the office.

Yup, the biggest criticism I have is that they carry those consumer brands and mix them in... but I guess they need to address all markets / demographics.
Dealpouncer said:   
TellyTubby said:   No matter how much REI try to make things look cheap, they rarely succeed.
  For sure, expensive.  BUT, lifetime no-questions-asked warranty on their products(other than expected wear and tear) at least gets out of the race-to-the-bottom quality war as it gives them incentive to carry quality products. If you're doing growing or adding/losing weight for a while you can get 20 years out of their products if you don't feel the need to keep up with fashion.

They only have a one-year return policy now, right? 

In any case, as a FW'er at heart, I've found amazingly cheap stuff at REI, even not considering a generous return policy.  Clearance prices for super-high-quality items that are on the "buy it for life" tier for most people is almost a steal.

My REI number is 4xx,xxx (bragging rights you know). They took a canoe back one time that was junk. Not to thread crap too much but they went Eddie Bauer when that Wally guy from Sears took over and they pay their board members way too much for a co-op. But I still shop there and occasionally find good deals, mostly on clearance though, like this post. And they still hire knowledgeable staff who know the product.

Eng8492 said:   REI is where you go to buy technical clothing that can save your life. If you are out in the woods in the pouring rain 12 miles away from the nearest logging road, and then the temperatures drop below freezing, you need a piece of clothing that keeps you dry so you don't die of hypothermia. 
http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/12/26/massachusetts-hiker-dies-new-hampshire/mFINjSPVkAaCyK5zbgRkJN/story.html 

Rule of thumb--->Unless it says "Columbia " or "Under Amour" on it, it is not meant for the office.

Personally, I'd take a .22LR take-down rifle, a sat phone and the ability to make a 12' bonfire.

This lady survived the elements  but ultimately starved, and I'll be damned if I'm eating an REI jacket as my final meal.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/25/hiker-who-died-after... 

Eng8492 said:   REI is where you go to buy technical clothing that can save your life. If you are out in the woods in the pouring rain 12 miles away from the nearest logging road, and then the temperatures drop below freezing, you need a piece of clothing that keeps you dry so you don't die of hypothermia. 

Expensive?  No.  It sounds mind-numbingly overpriced, the sort of thing that only a very gullible and/or snobby person would buy.  Common sense, whether in a store or in the great outdoors, is a lot more economical than spending $750 on an uninsulated shell.

​Also, you got your apostrophe in the wrong place in this most silly and affectation-laden of product brand names - it's Arc'teryx.

lousygolfer said:   

Expensive?  No.  It sounds mind-numbingly overpriced, the sort of thing that only a very gullible and/or snobby person would buy.  Common sense, whether in a store or in the great outdoors, is a lot more economical than spending $750 on an uninsulated shell.

​Also, you got your apostrophe in the wrong place in this most silly and affectation-laden of product brand names - it's Arc'teryx.

Like most things in life, reality lies somewhere between the two extremes.

Common sense is buying that Arcteryx jacket on clearance at the end of a season. Ignorance is getting soaked then frozen then dieing after paying $400 for a "water repellent/ resistant" shell that is not tested to an engineering standard and with fabric that is not traceable to a particular plant or manufacturer.

Hopefully you learned something.

Thank you great master - this ignorant fool would never have guessed that seasonal gear can be purchased at a discount during the off-season. What a spectacular revelation!

Common sense includes not putting oneself in life-threatening conditions for the sake of thrill-seeking and attempting to impress others with being "outdoorsy."

Since you seem easily impressed with names and labels, I bet you're a big fan of Gore-Tex products, aren't you? I used to be also, until I actually bought a few and discovered that Gore-Tex is only minutely more breathable than a plastic garbage bag. And, I found out a little bit about their business practices, which included trying to develop a monopoly on the waterproof-allegedly breathable membrane market by refusing to sell their trendy membrane to any company that wouldn't agree to use only Gore-Tex, hurting companies who tried to employ non-Gore-Tex waterproof membranes that were less expensive and more breathable (i.e. superior to Gore-Tex).

Well, if we all had what you call common sense, we would stay in and surf the net all the day. Have you tried s-u-n-s-h-i-n-e?

By the way, eVent is a superior membrane. But if you think that goretex does not breathe, then there are other factors at play. Watch fatwallet.com for coupons for salads.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017